testtest

To open carry or not

I won’t shop in a Kroger, close to a year ago I was approached by another customer while I was standing in line to check out. She made a terrible scene that she had seen my gun while I was shopping and she was frightened that I was going to shoot everyone, I never said a word to her or the manager that came over to see what the shouting was all about. Even though all my groceries were on the belt and being scanned for check out the manager told me the police had been called and that I should leave. Without saying a word I walked out of the store and to my truck to wait for the police. In the end I gave them my statement about what had happened and a witness spoke to the police and told them I never said a word to anyone and was very professional. The manager came out while I was talking to an officer and started to chastise me, again I remained silent. I was never disarmed by the police and the officer commented that he appreciated that I remained calm and quiet. I told him I had nothing to be upset about and that I had done nothing wrong, he agreed and let me go.
Good to know. I don't do kroger anymore either, haven't in years.
Don't like much about them. Too many other and better alternatives around here.

...when I see an individual who is open carrying no matter where it is my senses are raised to a higher level and I find myself scrutinizing that individual and his/her possible intentions."
I find myself doing the same.

A person once jokingly stated that "you have trained people and then you have open carry people". I dont think that its as simple as all of that but the spirit of that statement is not lost on me. When I see an open carrier I typically try to gauge whether or not I think they are a goof-ball. I do a quick head to toe assessment and simply go with my gut. If I dont like what I see, I generally walk away to go elsewhere. I wont leave if I am already conducting business, eating or whatever but if I am simply occupying the same space and get anything less than a completely squared away vibe, I leave.

Thankfully I do not have to make that judgement very often but the last 2 occasions, I left. One was some manner of protester who was open carrying an AR pistol and the other was some yahoo inside a store wearing a drop leg holster and wrestling shoes.

I won’t shop in a Kroger, close to a year ago I was approached by another customer while I was standing in line to check out. She made a terrible scene that she had seen my gun while I was shopping and she was frightened that I was going to shoot everyone, I never said a word to her or the manager that came over to see what the shouting was all about. Even though all my groceries were on the belt and being scanned for check out the manager told me the police had been called and that I should leave. Without saying a word I walked out of the store and to my truck to wait for the police. In the end I gave them my statement about what had happened and a witness spoke to the police and told them I never said a word to anyone and was very professional. The manager came out while I was talking to an officer and started to chastise me, again I remained silent. I was never disarmed by the police and the officer commented that he appreciated that I remained calm and quiet. I told him I had nothing to be upset about and that I had done nothing wrong, he agreed and let me go.
I use Kroger and Walmart. Only other choice here is Sureway, which I don't shop at.

Sounds like that particular mgr at Kroger saw that opportunity to over-extend his self-appointed, perceived power in confronting you in the parking lot, especially when the LEO was there handling things. We left Louisville (Bullitt Cnty area) in 1996, and do not miss it one bit.

I find myself doing the same.

A person once jokingly stated that "you have trained people and then you have open carry people". I dont think that its as simple as all of that but the spirit of that statement is not lost on me. When I see an open carrier I typically try to gauge whether or not I think they are a goof-ball. I do a quick head to toe assessment and simply go with my gut. If I dont like what I see, I generally walk away to go elsewhere. I wont leave if I am already conducting business, eating or whatever but if I am simply occupying the same space and get anything less than a completely squared away vibe, I leave.

Thankfully I do not have to make that judgement very often but the last 2 occasions, I left. One was some manner of protester who was open carrying an AR pistol and the other was some yahoo inside a store wearing a drop leg holster and wrestling shoes.

So in other words you have an aversion to being near armed people who you perceive are not up to your standards training wise ? I would bet that some of my friends, if they were to open carry, which they don't, but for the sake of argument.... would fall into that category for you. The thing is the guys I am talking about, who are most certainly goofballs, have multiple combat tours under their belt and know more about tactics and surviving gun fights than all of us on this forum put together. I regularly tell my buddy Steve that he had to be F'ed up before he joined the Marine Corps because combat doesn't F people up as bad as him. :) The first time I met him he was waltzing. literally, across a street in N. St. Louis with an orange street cone on his head. He regularly calls me out of the blue and sings ridiculous songs he made up to me. More than once he has showed up someplace with 2 different shoes on. Nicest guy in the world, but extremely dangerous when he needs to be.

I'm not saying you shouldn't keep your eye on him. He's a squirrelly little bastard, but you can probably go ahead and finish your shopping. :)

So in other words you have an aversion to being near armed people who you perceive are not up to your standards training wise ?
To me its not about meeting a prescribed level of training its simply about presenting ones self like a person with a good head on their shoulders. There is no way for me to know someones resume and I dont care to know. I will simply concern myself with how a person presents themselves in public and form an opinion based on that. Its not like walking away is somehow costly to me, its not. Its not like my personal opinion of someone matters to anyone but me, it doesnt.

I am reluctant to unnecessarily remain in close proximity to armed individuals who present themselves or come across to me as a goofball. I say that because in my experience, goofballs are not known to have the best judgement. Just because I suspect that someone is a goofball does not mean that they are but I tend to not go against my gut. Its hard to articulate some impressions you get from another person but if my spidey sense is tingling over what I perceive from an openly armed person, I walk the other way.

There have certainly been openly armed people who I was not in the least been concerned about. Goofball or no, people can do what they want so long as the activity isnt illegal but I dont have to be around to see how it turns out.

Last edited:
Open carry has been legal in my state for a few years, but it hasn't been widely adopted in the areas I frequent. I have seen a total of 3 open carriers (two of them were together) in the past few years, despite living in an urban/suburban area with a population well over 1 million people. I see concealed carry as having many more advantages than open carry, and I do not wish to draw additional attention to myself. I support a citizen's right to open carry, but I would never personally do it in a populated area.

The police would swarm in this area and you would have your license revoked if you were to open carry. I have been in other states and have seen people open carrying. I have noticed they create a lot of attention regarless. I would much rather go unnoticed.

Criminals or people with bad intent are probably not cruising down aisle 7 trying to decide which type of mustard they want.

I dont think anyone here has suggested that open carry was indicative of criminal activity or being a criminal. That said, people are law abiding until they are not, people make good decision until they dont. Criminals go to the store just like everyone else. They go to the post office, the diner and the doctors office, school and even walk down the sidewalk. Criminals are not simply lurking in the shadows or hanging out in the mos eisley cantina.

People with bad intent may not set out to engage in criminality on the mustard isle. They may simply decide to commit bad deeds based on any number of reasons which may manifest in the moment. Bad people do bad things, they dont have to necessarily formulate a premediated plan.

Crime often has an element of subterfuge and a person behaving normally for the venue may simply be what is required not to draw attention. To suggest that a criminal is probably not at this place or that place would require some additional qualification as history has shown most public places to be the a location of crime at one time or another. It doesnt take much time to find an example of violent crime occurring in a local grocery store.

I appreciate everyone's input. I live in Indiana and it is an open "open" or conceal state with a permit. I have seen people do both. I am retired military so I understand the need to "be the watcher and not the watched". My two primary carry guns are an XD mod.2 or a SW Shield 2.0, both in .45ACP. I try and conceal carry with an IWB holster when I can, but I find it rather uncomfortable at times. In the winter isn't so bad, because I can use an OWB holster and not print.

I dont think anyone here has suggested that open carry was indicative of criminal activity or being a criminal. That said, people are law abiding until they are not, people make good decision until they dont. Criminals go to the store just like everyone else. They go to the post office, the diner and the doctors office, school and even walk down the sidewalk. Criminals are not simply lurking in the shadows or hanging out in the mos eisley cantina.

People with bad intent may not set out to engage in criminality on the mustard isle. They may simply decide to commit bad deeds based on any number of reasons which may manifest in the moment. Bad people do bad things, they dont have to necessarily formulate a premediated plan.

Crime often has an element of subterfuge and a person behaving normally for the venue may simply be what is required not to draw attention. To suggest that a criminal is probably not at this place or that place would require some additional qualification as history has shown most public places to be the a location of crime at one time or another. It doesnt take much time to find an example of violent crime occurring in a local grocery store.
So you think that when criminals go to the store they strap a pistol on their hip or in a dropleg so everyone can see their gun?

Can I ask you a personal question? What city/ state do you live in?

Ok everyone, I have a question. I am not sure if this has been addressed in another forum question but I need to ask. In the state I live in, if a person has their CCW, they can open carry or conceal carry. So now my question. And I have heard arguments that open carry can/will make someone a target. How many people on this forum that read this open carry? Is it true that it if a person open carries, it makes them a target? Or does it deter a bad guy from engaging that person because the bad guy would rather search out a s soft target? Is there statistical data that supports one argument over the other?
from several self defense videos that i have seen, YES, you are an open target, to be taken out first by the thugs.

in my state, we must carry concealed and this gives one an advantage of "surprise" to the thugs, when we whip out our gun from concealment.

that's what the concealment offers, the act of surprise.

i think i got this from the USCCA website, in one of my online lessons?

then there is a guy that has many self defense videos, from all over the world, and he analyses them. (might be an USCCA guy, can't recall)

On soft targets..

When all things are equal, sure.. I dont doubt that a person would choose an easy target over one expected to be difficult. The problem is that most things are not equal and street crime is rarely about the attributes of the victim. When I say street crime I am excluding those crimes considered to be targeting a special victim. Most crime ( in my estimation) is more about time, place, easy of escape, sparseness of witnesses, sparseness of police presence, expected gain and much less about the characteristics or attributes of the victim. If you are the guy who walks past the dumpster at 2:30 am then you are the guy. It probably wont matter if you are big, little, tough looking or meek. Windows of opportunity often open and close rapidly and badguys are not loitering or orbiting the area looking for the perfect victim of street crime. They will often use weapons to even the field and they not often strangers to resistance, force or the threat of force.

ps: carrying a gun does not make everyone a hard target. Open carriers get relieved of their visible weapons quite regularly.
I’m down with most of what you said but where did you get the idea that open carriers get their guns taken “quite regularly”.

I’m down with most of what you said but where did you get the idea that open carriers get their guns taken “quite regularly”.
About 8% of officers killed are shot with their own gun from a gun grab, according to FBI data. In training officers, we emphasize that there is always at least one gun present at the scene. I have not seen any data regarding numbers of civilians having their guns taken away but you can draw inferences about the hazard from the LE experience.

About 8% of officers killed are shot with their own gun from a gun grab, according to FBI data. In training officers, we emphasize that there is always at least one gun present at the scene. I have not seen any data regarding numbers of civilians having their guns taken away but you can draw inferences about the hazard from the LE experience.
On officers? 2015 Data;

I also live in an open carry state but have my ccw. I usually conceal carry my G19, SW M&P or Hellcat depending on my mood. I tried to conceal my 5.25 XDM 10mm competition but it prints so badly that I have accepted it to be an open carry only. After installing a powder River trigger I have become so proficient with this gun I hate to leave it home ! It’s far more accurate than I am. Not to mention that having 31 rounds of 740 ft lb hollow point rounds just does something for my confidence . IMO its the best self defense round you can have in an automatic pistol. So I’m left with finding a smaller more concealed 10mm or open carry my big ass, accurate as all get out 5.25” XDM this is what we call “high class problems” 🤷🏽‍♂️

Back