testtest

Took my new Hellcat Pro to the range

PAGunGuy

Master Class
I bought my Hellcat Pro two Fridays ago, about a week and a half. My club/range was closed for repairs, but it reopened yesterday, so I got to go shooting.

I got the one that came with the kit with the 3 extra mags and range bag.

I put 100 rounds through the Hellcat Pro. I had 50 rounds of Blazer Brass 115 grain FMH and 50 Rounds of Federal American Eagle 142 grain FMJ.

I forgot to bring a mag loader, and I couldn't cram the 15 rounds in a magazine. So since I had 5 magazines, I decided to try 3 mags with 10 rounds each of each ammo. Then I could test each mag for function ( I know, still need to check function fully loaded) and check to make sure each bullet functioned in the gun and see if one was better. I then took the remaining rounds and did mixed magazines and shot rapid fire to check function.

The gun was 100% flawless. 0 issues chambering or ejecting. One weird thing, 2 magazines (I am guessing they were the ones that came with the gun) were a little harder to load. You can't load them straight down; you really have to go in at an angle. I am guessing it is because they have a staggered stack? I have never noticed this in any other magazine I have ever loaded. The other 3 mags had a touch of this, but not nearly as bad.

My first 30 rounds were the Blazer Brass. I wasn't shooting super slow for bullseye accuracy, but not rapid fire either. About 15 feet

lMdZJ4J.jpg

Then 30 rounds with the Federal, same pace

trW1duI.jpg

At that distance, I wish my groups were tighter. I am sure they tighten up over time.

I really do like the gun. Good trigger for a striker fired.

Sights were amazing. No complaints at all.

I did notice the gun jumped around a bit in my hand. I had to play around with my grip.

But it's a smaller grip than I am used to, and I have big hands (I can palm a basketball) and it's lighter than I am used to. I was expecting a bit more snap, and I got it. But I was getting the hang of it before I left. Muzzle flip/rise really wasn't too bad and I could get the front sight back on target pretty quickly.

All in all, I am very satisfied with it.

It definitely isn't a range toy, but I will definitely be comfortable with it being my EDC, assuming that I have successful tests with some hollow point ammunition

Great rundown of your first range trip with the Hellcat. I can’t palm a basketball but my hands are still pretty long so I get what you’re saying. I put a Hogue rubber grip on mine. It gave me a little extra thickness to fill out my palm and helped with that movement in my grip during strings of fire. Highly suggest you give it a try.
It is a little snappy, as you said, but a little range time will acclimates you to it and the groups definitely tighten up.

The Hellcat Pro sounds like a great gun. The grip is the only thing that prevented me from loving the Hellcat. For me, the thickness of a grip is less important that the length from front to back. The XDS grip fits my hand perfectly. I currently carry an S&W Shield Plus because it offers a similar grip to the XDS, but with the increased capacity of a stack-and-a half micro 9.

The Hellcat Pro sounds like a great gun. The grip is the only thing that prevented me from loving the Hellcat. For me, the thickness of a grip is less important that the length from front to back. The XDS grip fits my hand perfectly. I currently carry an S&W Shield Plus because it offers a similar grip to the XDS, but with the increased capacity of a stack-and-a half micro 9.
I actually prefer the thicker grip of the Shield Plus, but I love the Hellcat

Hi,

Terrific! Thanks for sharing your fun and your thoughts. I think you'll have a good time getting acclimated to your new Hellcat. Practice, practice, practice! 😁

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

I have taken my Hellcat OSP to the range once since I got it a few weeks back and our experiences are about the same. Shot every round and every brand of ammo I put through it that trip with zero malfunctions. All shots were on target but my groupings were a little wider than I had hoped. It's a small gun and coming from 1911's and Beretta 92's, I chocked it up to the tiny grip and me just needing a lot more time with it. I did end up however getting the hogue rubber grip since I do tend to like a little fatter grip and the backstrap of the grip being a little more square was tearing up my palm. We'll see how that rubber grip works the more I shoot it.

I have taken my Hellcat OSP to the range once since I got it a few weeks back and our experiences are about the same. Shot every round and every brand of ammo I put through it that trip with zero malfunctions. All shots were on target but my groupings were a little wider than I had hoped. It's a small gun and coming from 1911's and Beretta 92's, I chocked it up to the tiny grip and me just needing a lot more time with it. I did end up however getting the hogue rubber grip since I do tend to like a little fatter grip and the backstrap of the grip being a little more square was tearing up my palm. We'll see how that rubber grip works the more I shoot it.
Do you know what size Hogue grip you got?

My first 2 trips to the range with my Hellcat Pro had similar target results. I'm not sure I have a grip problem as much as I don't always pull the trigger smoothly ... YET. When my trigger pull felt good I was taking out a big section of the bullseye @ 7 yds. But then I would start feeling like I was jerking on the trigger and my shots were widening. Not sure why since I don't do this on other pistols. It appears I need more practice with this Hellcat Pro trigger.

The good news is this gun shoots any ammo type, size, brand, etc. fed to it so far from 115 gr fmj to 137 gr jhp and some +P without any failures. With 0 failures this gun has a feel and gives a very early confidence that it will shoot and cycle the next round everytime, without failure!

Back