testtest

Top off magazine?

Sld1959

Hellcat
How many here top off the magazine from thier carry pistol? Was at the range today and met a new member who was vehemently pushing for the magazine to be topped off after loading.

I do not do that and he was basically calling anyone who doesn't a fool. All I could do was shake my head and walk away, crossing him off the talk to list in my head.

Made me wonder though, how many do this? I do not do so simply because every time I may unload I will have a loose cartridge to keep track of.

If I used a pistol for bedside I might do that for it, if i left it with a loaded chamber. But I use a revolver instead.

Last edited:
How many here top off the magazine from thier carry pistol? Was at the range today and met a new member who was vehemently pushing for the magazine to be topped off after loading.

I do not do that and he was basically calling anyone who doesn't a fool. All I could do was shake my head and walk away, crossing him off the talk to list in my head.

Made me wonder though, how many do this? I do not do so simply because every time I may unload I will have a loose cartridge to keep track of.

If I used a pistol for bedside I might do that for it, if ileft it eith loaded chamber. But I use a revolver instead.
i don't know what you mean by "topped off"...

in my current Hellcat, i have 15 rounds in the magazine, the max it'll hold, and 1 in the chamber for 16 total.

when due to my state's new mag cap laws, i will then have a 10 round mag, with 1 in the chamber, for 11 total.

not sure i ever heard of, "topped off magazine" though

many that carry, have 1 in the chamber, with a full magazine.......just gives you 1 more cartridge capacity.

When I shoot stages at my IPSC club I have a spare mag in a pocket that's loaded just for putting one in the chamber, then having a fully-loaded mag in order to give me one more round w/o having to insert an extra round into the mag to top it off.

i don't know what you mean by "topped off"...

in my current Hellcat, i have 15 rounds in the magazine, the max it'll hold, and 1 in the chamber for 16 total.

when due to my state's new mag cap laws, i will then have a 10 round mag, with 1 in the chamber, for 11 total.

not sure i ever heard of, "topped off magazine" though

many that carry, have 1 in the chamber, with a full magazine.......just gives you 1 more cartridge capacity.

Topping off a magazine is the process of loading a cartridge into the chamber. Then removing the magazine and adding that 16th round, topping it off.

The same basic idea is used in lever riflesand shotguns topping off the tube magazine.

I'm with Sid. At the range? What's the big deal of stoking the gun to the max to shoot a piece of paper?
I have a 7 shot Henry .44 carbine. At the range I load it with 5. 5 shots to a group, the other 2 would still need topped to 5 to shoot another group. This way when I set it down, it's cleared, safe and empty with no effort.
If I was going boar hunting I'd load it up. At the range?
meh.
(Edit- with the (non loading gate) Henry you can put one in through the ejection port if you run out in a pinch or just want to have 8 available.)

Last edited:
Topping off a magazine is the process of loading a cartridge into the chamber. Then removing the magazine and adding that 16th round, topping it off.

The same basic idea is used in lever riflesand shotguns topping off the tube magazine.
then, that is what i am doing, and many have recommended to have as much ammo as possible in that gun.

I'm with Sid. At the range? What's the big deal of stoking the gun to the max to shoot a piece of paper?
I have a 7 shot Henry .44 carbine. I load it with 5. 5 shots to a group, the other 2 would still need topped to 5 to shoot another group. This way when I set it down, it's cleared, safe and empty with no effort.
If I was going boar hunting I'd load it up. At the range?
meh.
yeah, at the range, i do not "top off" the magazines. but my carry gun is.

if anyone notices, when you buy a gun, the advertised mag capacity is like (say) 15+1, meaning that +1 is what you'd have in the chamber, for 16 rounds total.

If SHTF how many will count those rounds? The what-if I had one more? Maybe that’s a ingrained reason to top-off.

I top-off my 12rnd mag + 1 chambered for 13 shots at ready, applies to the 6 rounders to 15’ers too. Some argument could be the overloaded mag spring could create a problem. Its why there’s controlled range-time “practice”.

If running a emergency tactical reload course, guessing that top off isn’t happening. Running a specific hits on target like keeping a 10 round yardage grouping 3 times is another reason for limiting a top off. Timed mag dump for hits, ok maybe you’re going to miss one way down range and that +1 will reap a bragging right.
Top-off a AR mag…never, and agree - “when only shooting at paper”….

yeah, at the range, i do not "top off" the magazines. but my carry gun is.

if anyone notices, when you buy a gun, the advertised mag capacity is like (say) 15+1, meaning that +1 is what you'd have in the chamber, for 16 rounds total.

It's all a matter of comfort level. I am perfectly comfortable carrying a jframe most of the time. I have never felt undergunned carrying a 1911 one round down, or my Makarov one round down . And I certainly do not feel so with 14 in the magazine of a P365Xl. Along with a spare magazine. I always carry a spare.

It's all whatever you are comfortable with in my opinion. Not overly concerned about what "they" say I should do lol.

I guess if I get killed because I was missing one round I will know they were right. Lol

If SHTF how many will count those rounds? The what-if I had one more? Maybe that’s a ingrained reason to top-off.

I top-off my 12rnd mag + 1 chambered for 13 shots at ready, applies to the 6 rounders to 15’ers too. Some argument could be the overloaded mag spring could create a problem.
one cannot over load a magazine beyond what it'll hold. i have been told more springs weaken from constant use, rather than fully loaded, and at the ready.

Not at all. I just shoot. I used to handgun hunt. Now, I just shoot.
Understand.

In those types of competitive shooting having the max number of rounds available in the firearm can allow for faster completion of stages without having to reload.

If available in your area you should try it sometime since it's fun & helps improve shooting skills.

Understand.

In those types of competitive shooting having the max number of rounds available in the firearm can allow for faster completion of stages without having to reload.

If available in your area you should try it sometime since it's fun & helps improve shooting skills.
i just did a google search for the New England area..

something like over a 1 hour ride from my house...

i cannot do that long a drive anymore. (yes 1 hour is way too much for me nowadays)

back in my days as a trucker, it wasn't difficult to drive 10 hours straight, then stop for the bathroom, food, whatever

Understand.

It always looked like fun, but I can't afford it. I don't know of any events around here anyway.
I'm pretty slow.

My edc is topped off but I don’t think it would hurt anything to leave the +1 out, but i’d rather have it and not need it than the other way around. Since i carry single stack 45s I don’t tend to worry about having high capacity. Usually carry an XD-S mod 2 with a spare mag. If I can’t get the job done with 13 rounds, thats a gunfight I don’t need to be in. Other pistol I carry occasionally is a sig p220 with 2 mags that only jumps the round count to 17.

Yeah, I don’t ever do that. If dude can’t get the job done with 15 I don’t know that one more is going to make the difference. Isn’t that why you carry an extra mag? My experience with people calling other people fools is that Kharma can be a cold mistress.

Back