testtest

Tour De France

Having at one time in my younger days “which seams like another lifetime”
I used to ride a TREK racing bike in races around New England. I couldn’t do that now but I do enjoy watching some races especially the (Tour De France)
While channel searching this morning I was lucky enough to find stage (1) of 21 on NBC brings back great memories.

I am an avid road cyclist but never got into following the race circuit. Pro cycling is one if the dirtiest pro sports out there. Armstong was a minor cog in that machine.
However, regardless of doping or PEDs those guys do some wild climbs and descents sometimes pushing 60+ mph. My fastest descent is 52 and i will not be doing that again. Hahahaha.

Good first stage especially since its a hill stage vs. the traditional TT. The Yates Bros cleaned up. Eventually I think Pogacar has the best chance of winning it all if he doesn't run into problems.

When the TDF is riding I try to ride every day that they do. That allows me to be in my best shape each year by the end of July, besides my training up to when the TDF starts.

Got to wait till a T-storm passes & the roads dry to get todays ride in.

BTW - subsequent TDF coverage is going to be on the USA channel on late so set your DVRs.

I am an avid road cyclist but never got into following the race circuit. Pro cycling is one if the dirtiest pro sports out there. Armstong was a minor cog in that machine.
However, regardless of doping or PEDs those guys do some wild climbs and descents sometimes pushing 60+ mph. My fastest descent is 52 and i will not be doing that again. Hahahaha.
When I was a kid I got up to 65 mph on an old Peugeot racing bike (still have it) on a decent off a Mtn Pass in Oregon. Passed a car on the way down. Had to pry my hands off the bars when I got down to a flat & slowed down.

Now I max out at ~40 on descents. I only go that fast on my Trek aluminum training bike since my carbon bike is too twitchy on descents, but its way better on climbs.

When I was a kid I got up to 65 mph on an old Peugeot racing bike (still have it) on a decent off a Mtn Pass in Oregon. Passed a car on the way down. Had to pry my hands off the bars when I got down to a flat & slowed down.

Now I max out at ~40 on descents. I only go that fast on my Trek aluminum training bike since my carbon bike is too twitchy on descents, but its way better on climbs.
Yeah, i no longer seek out the straight fall line descent. I’m comfortable up to 40. Not so much after that.

My fastest downhill run was 54mph two other riders got hurt that day going down at speed, it’s a serious sport you definitely need strong conditioning to ride that fast sometimes less then a foot from someone else.

My fastest downhill run was 54mph two other riders got hurt that day going down at speed, it’s a serious sport you definitely need strong conditioning to ride that fast sometimes less then a foot from someone else.
I was on a solo Century ride in the Oregon Cascades so I only had to deal with cars.

In my area we have a 50-mile long paved bike trail so I can avoid the cars most of the time although I do a 5-mile stretch on a frontage road to get more hills to ride on. Fortunately, it doesn't get much traffic due to the nearby main highway.

I split that trail route up into short 20 mi., medium 35 mi. & long 100 mi. rides.

Last edited:
Going fast on a bike was a rite of passage thrill. Weekends, we use to get a head start atop of the grassy expressway embankment race downhill to a paved area behind some factories. Wasn’t unusual to replace back tires two or three times during the summer months.

Wisened up after awhile. Got a well balanced and heavy Schwinn Varsity…two in fact, kept one for quite some years, as Trek’s and Specialized were expensive, I put knobby tires on it and tried it out on the trails as a supplemental workout. Poor decision, too heavy for hills. Eventually bought a Specialized Rock Hopper.

I remember the 1970’s movie “Breaking Away” that was entertaining look at bike course racing.

As for Tour deFrance and what going on in France besides the current riots, there’s climate activists interference expected as well along with some obtuse spectators.

Going fast on a heavy bikes….seen this event King of the Baggers ….

IMG_2865.jpeg

I used to ride a bike everyday but now doctor has to me to stay off and he made sure he told my wife. So...... no more biking for me.

Having at one time in my younger days “which seams like another lifetime”
I used to ride a TREK racing bike in races around New England. I couldn’t do that now but I do enjoy watching some races especially the (Tour De France)
While channel searching this morning I was lucky enough to find stage (1) of 21 on NBC brings back great memories.
As you are aware Skynet has endless access to all files….so I found this very early pic of “goose” on his first bike…..😳😳😳😳

1688266921700.jpeg

Back