testtest

Tourniquets — Why You Should Have One

I often carry two when I’m at the range; one in the blowout kit I have with my range bag, the second in my edc kit.

Odds are that I drove there, so there’s a third in the vehicle medkit.

It's a good idea to have knowledge of tourniquet application. Application of a tourniquet will likely cause amputation of limb due to terminated oxygenated blood flow. Hence, it's crucial that you know that the only option is application of a tourniquet. Direct pressure on a wound might be sufficient to stop or slow blood loss. The Golden Hour applies: wounded persons must be treated by physicians within a hour.

911 paramedics. While paramedics are en route, the dispatcher will advice how to proceed. Paramedics have direct communication with physicians.

A satellite phone for remote areas without cell coverage is a wise investment.

It's a good idea to have knowledge of tourniquet application. Application of a tourniquet will likely cause amputation of limb due to terminated oxygenated blood flow. Hence, it's crucial that you know that the only option is application of a tourniquet. Direct pressure on a wound might be sufficient to stop or slow blood loss. The Golden Hour applies: wounded persons must be treated by physicians within a hour.

911 paramedics. While paramedics are en route, the dispatcher will advice how to proceed. Paramedics have direct communication with physicians.

A satellite phone for remote areas without cell coverage is a wise investment.
No that is old thinking and completely out dated and not inline with any current stop the bleed and gunshot wound classes. And yes you should get training because there are definitely do’s and don’ts (double tournaments on the same wound/basic triage etc). But in a bleed situation by the time you ask for advice the person could be dead.

Last edited:
No that is old thinking and completely out dated and not inline with any current stop the bleed and gunshot wound classes.
Are you telling me that you were taught to not call paramedics before "treating" any seriously wounded person? Can you cite a source?

Paramedics have direct communication with physicians. Until paramedics arrive, dispatch will advise how to proceed.

A tourniquet, by design, stops blood flow causing necrosis of tissue below it.

I have zero objection to application of a tourniquet. My advice is to 911 paramedics ASAP. A dispatcher will advise procedure until paramedics are on scene.

I am assuming that we're discussing persons without First Aid knowledge. However, First Aid knowledge does not rise to knowledge of professional paramedics who are communicating with physicians.

They are awesome for opening jars/ stuck lids. Medical tourney’s are fantastic for this. Mom was a nurse and we used them like that in kitchen for 40 yrs now. Whenever I get yearly physical and blood works, i keep the one they used. Nirses are skeptical at first why you want it. Regular nurse at dr office now use them that way after my discussion and laugh when I came in and give me one

Are you telling me that you were taught to not call paramedics before "treating" any seriously wounded person? Can you cite a source?

Paramedics have direct communication with physicians. Until paramedics arrive, dispatch will advise how to proceed.

A tourniquet, by design, stops blood flow causing necrosis of tissue below it.
I did not say that I said Tourniquet usage and recommendations have changed. Your ideas about Tourniquets and usage are outdated.

Recent experience in the GWOT has shown that limbs stay healthy, and return to function for up to 8+ hours after a tourniquet is applied.

The idea that tourniquet application means automatic loss of limb is exceedingly outdated, and ignorant of current standards.

Speaking as a currently licensed EMT.

Hi xdman,

Thanks.

My advice is to always dial 911. Contemplated application of tourniquet implies paramedic response. Relay all info to dispatch who'll advise on procedure.

I can't remember how many times I've seen paramedics treating trauma patients while other paramedics were communicating with trauma physicians.

Recent experience in the GWOT has shown that limbs stay healthy, and return to function for up to 8+ hours after a tourniquet is applied.

The idea that tourniquet application means automatic loss of limb is exceedingly outdated, and ignorant of current standards.

Speaking as a currently licensed EMT.

Is that your generalized licensed EMT tourniquet procedure, or is it situational and wound specific?

Hi xdman,

Thanks.

My advice is to always dial 911. Contemplated application of tourniquet implies paramedic response. Relay all info to dispatch who'll advise on procedure.

I can't remember how many times I've seen paramedics treating trauma patients while other paramedics were communicating with trauma physicians.
No one is arguing with you on that, its you knowledge of tourniquets That is wrong and outdated. Not once has anyone said anything to say you should not call for help. Tourniquets are no longer considered last ditch effort to save ones life, that is outdated.

Last edited:
My wife and I tried carrying one daily. They're just too bulky, for something with such low probability of use. My wife just leaves her's in the car, and I just leave mine in a jacket pocket, and we only get 3 months max of jacket weather a year.

I've tried to carry mine in the pocket, but it jabs my legs everytime I get up or sit down. I tried using a kydex holster, but it prints worst than any pistol I've ever carried.

Back