testtest

Traded my M1A SOCOM16

Would you have traded your SOCOM16 for a SIG 716G2 Patrol FDE?

• Total voters

GLD1980

Operator
Traded my M1A SOCOM16 below, sans optic, bipod and sling,
download (1).jpeg

for a SIG 716G2 Patrol FDE that included 3×25rd & 1×20rd PMAG's.
8 SIG716G2 Patrol.jpg

It was previously owned but hardly shot except to maybe test fire from the factory. I left it in the VLTOR M1S Improved ModStock System and swapped all Mags & Drums evenly across the board. I purchased the M1A for $1360OTD from PSA, so I knew I was coming into the trade with a better hand but I didn't want my local shop to say no because they didn't feel like they made a good deal. I bought my mags and drums heavily discounted and didn't want to miss out on the 716G2 Patrol for fear of it not staying on the shelf long. I proceeded to make a deal that would make their mouth water even though I believe I got the better end of the deal. What do you all think?

The reason I ask is I'm in need of suppressors, NVG's, IR Lasers and more ammo along with adding a few more guns to the safe. The next guns on either the chopping block in order to upgrade to something more needed are My two Saints, a Victor PDW and an Edge Pistol along with possibly a Ruger AR-556 MPR 18".
20210731_002638.jpg

2 SAI Saint Edge Pistol .jpg

6 RUGER AR-556 MPR18.jpg

What your take?

Should I just save up and wait patiently keeping them all.

Personally I would of kept my M1A SOCOM16 but I just bought a few SIG's, (a M400 SDI "Switchblade" Pistol, a 516G2 Patrol, and a MCX Rattler Canebrake along with some accessories), and I was cashed out. Since I did have the M1A SOCOM16 that I was in good with and feel no remorse about. On the other hand I feel I would regret selling my Saints and my Ruger.

Last edited:
I'd retain the edge and saint. They're well made pistols and I don't see any more being produced. I think you made a great deal, Don't think I would have said the same if it were a full length NM rifle. The Ruger, I wouldn't think twice about letting it go in a trade.
Just remember, prices ain't going down and availability is not guaranteed. It took me 4 years to replace a 590 mossberg. Just couldn't find one.

Trading one gun for another is personal choice, I’ve done it before multiple times so I have no comment one way or another on your decision.
I traded a Savage AR10 in for my M1A standard .308 and my very last AR Platform rifle for a Springfield Armory Emissary 1911 45ACP
Those are just two of the gun trades I’ve done over the years (all done at FFL’s)
And the most important part, I have no regrets.

Since I have several of the guns you mentioned, I voted to keep them all, save and buy more. But that's just me, as to date, I've not traded any of my firearms collection. I agree on keeping the Saints, as I believe also that SA won't be making more (I have a SA Saint Victor 300 BLK pistol that I'll keep for this reason). I have the Socom with the Archangel stock and the Sig 308 716i Tread (along with the Rattlers in 300 BLK, 556, and 300 BLK Canebrake). MY M400 556 is the Snakebite (also have the 556 Virtus carbine) and my Ruger is the now unavailable SR556 Take-Down which I also bought the 300 BLK barrel for. My belief is that firearms that are no-longer available, may increase in value if kept in good working order and have parts somewhat still available.
But what makes your choice intriguing, is the Sig 716 G2 patrol is the Gas piston version, where my 716i is the DI model (I tried to find the G2, but it was during the pandemic gun buying craze and I was lucky to find the last 716i in the Sig dealer's store). On the Sig Sauer website, I didn't see any G2 (Gas Piston) models, only DIs. I might have missed it, but if they aren't making any, then I would swap the M1a SOCOM (Since you could always go back to get one as they are still being made), for the G2 Patrol. So decisions, decisions. Good luck on whichever way you go.
BTW: nice pictures. Other than my Canebrake, most all of mine mentioned are in Black. The FDE does look nice though.

Back