testtest

Traffic Stops: What CCW Citizens Need to Know

The only time I had reason to be in this situation , my truck was broke down and an officer pulled up behind me. I put my hands on the wheel and when he got to my window I told him I had a firearm and told him where it was. He said, “ don’t shoot me and I won’t shoot you” and laughed. Asked me if I needed a phone and when I told him someone was on the way he told me to have a nice night and left.

I know and work with a lot of police officers. A good deal of them don’t care one way or another if you inform them you’re carrying. Personally I will keep my hands in plain view and inform them.

Great article.
I applied for a real ID the last go round with my drivers license. They actually scanned my permit into the mix with my license for ID purposes. Guess what that means? It's automatically going to come up if they pull me over. Outstanding.

Great article.
I applied for a real ID the last go round with my drivers license. They actually scanned my permit into the mix with my license for ID purposes. Guess what that means? It's automatically going to come up if they pull me over. Outstanding.
Yup, some States have your Carry Permit scanned into the license, so when the officer runs your plates & license he/she knows there's a good chance you have a weapon on your person or in the vehicle. Fortunately, my State of Pa. doesn't do this, nor is it State law that I must inform the officer I have a weapon on me. Unfortunately jmcd, Mass. is a State headed towards the likes of Cali., NJ, NY, etc., if it isn't already there. I feel for you brother ☹

Missouri is a constitutional carry state thankfully. They can shove their real ID too. I’ll get a passport if I ever want to fly somewhere.
When I renewed my Passport, I selected the booklet and the card. With the card, I can fly anywhere in the U.S. and I believe Canada, Mexico, and some of the Caribbean islands for cruises, etc. With the booklet, you can fly anywhere the U.S. passport is accepted. My State of Pa. has to go to RealID by Oct. 2020. I'm covered with the Passport options, so there's no rush on my part to feel forced to comply (I hardly ever fly anywhere anyhow).

KY is also going to issue the new "real" ID's, but it's on hold for awhile until they can get all of tge locations (statewide) up to speed. At least that's what they told my wife when she renewed her DL this past December. I renew mine in Dec. 2020, so we'll see what happens.

Passport? Nope, don't have one. Last time I flew was 1984........ and I don't have any intentions of doing it again.

KY is also going to issue the new "real" ID's, but it's on hold for awhile until they can get all of tge locations (statewide) up to speed. At least that's what they told my wife when she renewed her DL this past December. I renew mine in Dec. 2020, so we'll see what happens.

Passport? Nope, don't have one. Last time I flew was 1984........ and I don't have any intentions of doing it again.
I believe the Federal Government is mandating this October 1st 2020, as the deadline for all States to comply with their directive for having a Real Id drivers license (or other TSA approved document) to fly; enter federal facilities, and Nuclear Power plants (documents such as military IDs etc, may be used to enter some of these facilities such as military bases etc.). It should be noted that the Feds have issued deadlines for this before, and have extended it several times for States (like mine), to implement it. They say, this is the last deadline with no more extensions. As you may not be entering Fed Facilities, power plants, nor flying ScottJ, you should be fine. I had to get a Passport to travel to Ireland in the 90's, and decided to renew my passport online (where I also opted for the Passport card), since it was easier than starting the process from anew. It seem our society is now to the point of "Papers Please" while travel around.

I believe the Federal Government is mandating this October 1st 2020, as the deadline for all States to comply with their directive for having a Real Id drivers license (or other TSA approved document) to fly; enter federal facilities, and Nuclear Power plants (documents such as military IDs etc, may be used to enter some of these facilities such as military bases etc.). It should be noted that the Feds have issued deadlines for this before, and have extended it several times for States (like mine), to implement it. They say, this is the last deadline with no more extensions. As you may not be entering Fed Facilities, power plants, nor flying ScottJ, you should be fine. I had to get a Passport to travel to Ireland in the 90's, and decided to renew my passport online (where I also opted for the Passport card), since it was easier than starting the process from anew. It seem our society is now to the point of "Papers Please" while travel around.
I make random trips to the local military base to shop, and my ret'd military ID gets me on there. KY will also add "Veteran" to DL's when renewing if proper paperwork (DD-214) is shown at time of renewal.

Yup, some States have your Carry Permit scanned into the license, so when the officer runs your plates & license he/she knows there's a good chance you have a weapon on your person or in the vehicle. Fortunately, my State of Pa. doesn't do this, nor is it State law that I must inform the officer I have a weapon on me. Unfortunately jmcd, Mass. is a State headed towards the likes of Cali., NJ, NY, etc., if it isn't already there. I feel for you brother ☹
Now I have to worry about waiting for backup, step out of the car, walk backwards towards me....

As far as I know, Maryland doesn't link a carry permit to a DL. At least, I've never been asked about it in the course of a driving award...er, traffic stop. Maryland law does NOT require voluntary disclosure if we're stopped - we are not required to tell an officer that we have a permit, or if we have a weapon.

That said...if I'm asked a direct question, I'll give an honest answer. "Any weapons in the car?" "Yes, one, on my right hip with a permit in my wallet." Likewise, if I'm asked to step out of the vehicle for any reason, I'd disclose before dismounting just in case I print, or flash. I'd rather avoid surprising the person who's allowed to shoot me.

As for the rest of the article - yes. Manners, manners, manners. Dome light on. Engine off. Hands on wheel. Big smile and a happy greeting to the officer. Yes sir (ma'am), no sir (ma'am). Save the arguments for the courtroom. I keep my docs on my sunvisor - insurance card (policy number is memorized as well) and registration get clipped inside the mirror cover, so I don't have to dig around on the far side of the vehicle and make the officer nervous, or do anything that puts my hands out of sight.

Back