testtest

Traveling with Checked Firearms Best Practices

I have traveled a few times with my EDC on flights in checked baggage. True it is not a common practice that Airline employees at the counter see, and they will question the fact you even have a weapon with a look of concern. The best solution is to print the airlines rules and keep them on your person. I had to open my luggage up at the counter and open the lock box and show clear/safe to employees who didn't even know airlines allowed this practice.

I like the Negrini Cases for Air Travel

Attachments

• IMG_2017.jpeg
    IMG_2017.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4181.jpeg
    IMG_4181.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4184.jpeg
    IMG_4184.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4198.jpeg
    IMG_4198.jpeg
    307.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4199.jpeg
    IMG_4199.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4202.jpeg
    IMG_4202.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_5834.jpeg
    IMG_5834.jpeg
    486.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5833.jpeg
    IMG_5833.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 64607854562__DE2BC08B-7730-4718-9084-D22BF8C91E40.jpeg
    64607854562__DE2BC08B-7730-4718-9084-D22BF8C91E40.jpeg
    398.6 KB · Views: 75
Generally speaking, this is a good article. There are only two things that I would add.

I've read several similar articles from other writers and almost all of them suggest that you taken inexpensive gun that you will not be devastated to lose if you're traveling by air.

the second thing I remember reading in one article but it absolutely made sense.

The author said that you had better have a plan for if your airplane gets diverted to some place like Newark or New York or someplace similar where you're not even allowed to have the gun with you.

His advice was to simply abandon your bag at the airport. If you don't pick it up at the baggage claim the airline retains possession of your luggage and they'll simply put it on your connecting flight and you can take possession of it at your final destination, where presumably it's legal for you to have the gun.

He said that you may lose your luggage and your gun doing that (which is why you don't bring your expensive family heirloom with you on the plane) but it's better than being arrested for having an illegal firearm in New York or Newark.

I use Newark NJ Airport for most of my traveling. They have never asked me for any credentials for my firearm. I’m mostly going to a Gun friendly State and I don’t remember any asking for credentials when returning home. They mostly are just concerned that I am transporting the firearm properly. I hear in The New York Airports they have a Port Authority Police Officer check your Credentials. I generally don’t use New York Airports unless I am going international. I was wondering has anyone been asked to show Firearm credentials in any other Airport besides New York?

I use Newark NJ Airport for most of my traveling. They have never asked me for any credentials for my firearm. I’m mostly going to a Gun friendly State and I don’t remember any asking for credentials when returning home. They mostly are just concerned that I am transporting the firearm properly. I hear in The New York Airports they have a Port Authority Police Officer check your Credentials. I generally don’t use New York Airports unless I am going international. I was wondering has anyone been asked to show Firearm credentials in any other Airport besides New York?
There are numerous reports of people who have had an unexpected layover in Newark or New York who were arrested when they went to recheck their firearms

There are numerous reports of people who have had an unexpected layover in Newark or New York who were arrested when they went to recheck their firearms
I fly United and American and never been asked for Credentials. Maybe other Airlines. I am retired LEO and I take my firearm everywhere I am traveling to. I would have to know the particulars on your numerous reports in Newark. Did they declare the firearm or try to send it through with luggage? I have many retired LEO’s from NY and they say Port Authority PD checks their Credentials. I was just curious if any one has been checked for credentials in other airports

I fly United and American and never been asked for Credentials. Maybe other Airlines. I am retired LEO and I take my firearm everywhere I am traveling to. I would have to know the particulars on your numerous reports in Newark. Did they declare the firearm or try to send it through with luggage? I have many retired LEO’s from NY and they say Port Authority PD checks their Credentials. I was just curious if any one has been checked for credentials in other airports

That Bolded part changes things a little doesn't it?

How many do you want?

I flew in and out of Miami on Eastern quite a bit, and my trusty DOSCKOCIL went with me on most of those trips... I would check in at the ticket counter where I had to unlock and open the case for inspection and that was always a crowd pleaser. Once they saw what was inside, they would have be lock it and then they would put a red tag on it plus that red dot. After everyone caught their breath they would send me on my way, and I never had a single problem... yes the magazines were loaded.

IMG_0688.JPG

Can you guess what was in the case?

IMG_0686.JPG

How many do you want?

How many do you want?

How many do you want?

The bolded part has nothing to do with them asking for credentials. They don’t know who I am when Im standing in front of them. I just mentioned that cause I wanted people to know I was authorized to carry in NJ. Again I was trying to find out from someone that travels with a firearm and have they been asked to see a permit. Have you traveled out of NJ and been asked to see a permit? I’m sure there are other people that might have some first hand knowledge. Thanks for the articles.

The bolded part has nothing to do with them asking for credentials. They don’t know who I am when Im standing in front of them. I just mentioned that cause I wanted people to know I was authorized to carry in NJ. Again I was trying to find out from someone that travels with a firearm and have they been asked to see a permit. Have you traveled out of NJ and been asked to see a permit? I’m sure there are other people that might have some first hand knowledge. Thanks for the articles.
Did you read the articles? I've never flown out of New Jersey or New York. I've actually never flown with a checked gun

Did you read the articles? I've never flown out of New Jersey or New York. I've actually never flown with a checked gun
Oh Okay….Now I understand. You don’t Air Travel with a firearm cause what you read in these articles. That’s a sure way to not let this happen to you. I get your point now.

Oh Okay….Now I understand. You don’t Air Travel with a firearm cause what you read in these articles. That’s a sure way to not let this happen to you. I get your point now.
I don't air travel because I have no need to.

I quit air travel before I had a carry permit.

And let's not forget I posted the link to that article because you said it never happens.

I’m sorry I thought I wrote it has never happened to me. I was speaking about my experience with traveling with my firearm from Newark Airport. I was hoping to hear from other people that Air travel with a firearm. Thanks for your articles.

Back