testtest

True or false

Status
Not open for further replies.
Otherwise false for ammo in "free" states.
I do believe this is federal law due to the fact it's dealing with a FFL dealer. This is the answer to the test I had for my shooting sports management course I'm taking for my associate's degree in firearms technology. I had to do a lot of reading, over and over before I was confident in my answer.

1582479435188.png

Illegal uses

Firearms
In the United States, a straw purchaser of a firearm at a federally licensed firearm dealership who lies about the identity of the ultimate possessor of the gun can be charged with making false statements on a federal Firearms Transaction Record. If a firearm is purchased as a gift, the transaction is not a straw purchase, and the person buying the gift is considered the end user. It is illegal for any person not in possession of a Federal Firearms License to purchase a firearm with the intention of resale. Private purchases in lawful sales made outside of federally regulated dealerships are not subject to such rules and are legal unless the gun is used in a crime with the prior knowledge of the straw purchaser.[2]

Firearms Transaction Record = Form 4473

Where I live I don't have to fill out a 4473 and/or do a background check to buy ammo. Perhaps where you live you do.

I can also buy ammo at a gunshow and online without a FFL dealer involved.

I think the question and answer above is a bit loaded (pardon the pun).

My .02

I do believe this is federal law due to the fact it's dealing with a FFL dealer. This is the answer to the test I had for my shooting sports management course I'm taking for my associate's degree in firearms technology. I had to do a lot of reading, over and over before I was confident in my answer.

View attachment 2348
Unlike the tests I wrote for my students, usually, and as in this case the longest answer is the most correct!!
But STRAW buyer/seller in the general world is a little different in the Federal Firearms world.
General world relates to someone that can't legally have it.
Federal Firearms world means everybody, legal or not.

I can order a case of ammo and split it up with the grandkids. Free state!

I can buy a firearm and give to the grandkids. The good ones that is!! Legal purchase & Free State!

But the grandkids give me the money to buy one.... no can do... straw purchase. Federal Law.

Now there are ways that will be thought up as in phone call I could get.

Ring, Ring. "Hi Honey it's Papa" Granddaughter, "Papa the gun shop has one Range Officer like yours left and they are holding it for me, but only till 4, could you stop by my work and I'll give you the money" Me, "You know that's not legal for us to do..... I'll just go get it for you.... you been a good kid." Granddaughter after hanging up, " I got a Free Range officer, I got a Free Range Officer, I got a .................

After much debate on FB Twitter and here, I have come to this conclusion.

Legaleeze is a pain. The test questions said, for another person. So, following that wording, the answer is correct due to the fact gift is not mentioned. Law are written by lawyers in a way that only lawyers can understand them.

I've decided to "modify" my original answer to....

True for a firearm, prohibited person or not, everywhere I know. = No change

For ammo = Change to Yes & No. Why?

I just got back from my morning bike ride & during I pondered the question, available answers & some more thoughts during the ride to keep my mind off the chilly temps & additional wind chill factor.

I've concluded that..

"A straw purchase is when someone purchased a firearm or ammo for someone else whether they are a prohibited person or not."

True -

#1 - Most states I know have age restrictions on ammo purchases. When I purchase at a place like Cabelas I'm always asked my age. I always thank the clerk if I'm still 21. My fav LGSs they already know me and don't bother.

#2 - If someone you don't know (age unknown) or a nutty adult relative approaches you to buy ammo for them then that's a red flag to me. If you then did so and gave them the ammo & they took off then I would call that a straw purchase when you don't know if they are a prohibited person, like all the criteria we check on a 4473 and.or being under-aged.

False (a bit) - If you're a parental unit and you want to go shooting with your sub-adult kids, and/or relative/significant other below a set-age limit for ammo purchases, and you're going to supervise the shooting session then I would say false/no since you're directly supervising the shooting session.

Conclusion - I don't sell a firearm and/or buy ammo to/for folks that I don't know their age, background and I'm not comfortable with.

My .02

Last edited:
After much debate on FB Twitter and here, I have come to this conclusion.

Legaleeze is a pain. The test questions said, for another person. So, following that wording, the answer is correct due to the fact gift is not mentioned. Law are written by lawyers in a way that only lawyers can understand them.

I can only think that your class instructor(s) have covered the ambiguity in this question. And that test questions are made to be vague in order to think about things.

View attachment 2348
then does this mean when I bought my son a hunting rifle when he was 12 it was illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back