testtest

Ultrasonic cleaning and Cerakote

TidalWave

Professional
Was at an LGS today, when my usual guy was off. Another guy i recognized checked out my purchases.
Asked him about a new sign that said “Cleaning Service $30 & up” etc and i he said they do ultrasonic.
We talked a minute, and he mentioned they can’t do Cerakote, as ultrasonic takes it off.

True? Anybody here know what finishes if any are ok for ultrasonic cleaning?

( apologies if this is covered in a prev post ).

their answer makes sense
if it has a defect, it could ENHANCE said defect :ROFLMAO:

Is it safe on my weapon?​

• Ultrasonic cleaning is safe for all gun metals, plastics, polymers, and finishes.
  • However, if you have a finish (including Cerakote, hydro-dip, vinyl, etc.) with chips or cracks, there is a possibility that this could cause the chips and cracks to spread.

Last edited:
their answer makes sense
if it has a defect, it could ENHANCE said defect :ROFLMAO:

Is it safe on my weapon?​

• Ultrasonic cleaning is safe for all gun metals, plastics, polymers, and finishes.
  • However, if you have a finish (including Cerakote, hydro-dip, vinyl, etc.) with chips or cracks, there is a possibility that this could cause the chips and cracks to spread.
Very interesting, and thanks, Power…

I almost asked him - but didn’t - how much business they did if Cerakote et al. were more or less excluded? I mean, given the prevalence of C-kote, DLC, Wilson’s Armir Tuff and the others…

Understood, Bob…. I don’t have any C-koted either.
But a whole lot DO have “finishes”.
From powerboater’s article:
Personally I would never clean a gun with an ultrasonic cleaner much less pay someone to do it for me. I have considered buying one ( They aren't expensive) for vintage razors and bolt carrier groups.

Thing is though us old dudes actually like doing that kind of crap. Taking our time and cleaning or restoring things correctly.

Personally I would never clean a gun with an ultrasonic cleaner much less pay someone to do it for me. I have considered buying one ( They aren't expensive) for vintage razors and bolt carrier groups.

Thing is though us old dudes actually like doing that kind of crap. Taking our time and cleaning or restoring things correctly.
IMG_2118.gif

Nailed it, bud !
I too was thinking about an ultrasonic - glad I didn’t…
As someone posted a good while back, cleaning is actually a kind of Zen thing for me - rainy weekend, like early Sat morning, put on some old music , low volume….maybe a pot o’ coffee…and just do some thinkin’ while i clean.
No need for a hi tech gadget.
I dont own an AR (yet) just pistol, .30-.30 etc. All kitchen table !

Nailed it, bud !
As someone posted a good while back, cleaning is actually a kind of Zen thing for me - rainy weekend, like early Sat morning, put on some old music , low volume….maybe a pot o’ coffee…and just do some thinkin’ while i clean.

I built a shop out back. There are times when it is REALLY nice to have a shop out back. Sometimes I have nothing to do ( other than sit in the house listening to whatever the woman is going on about) and I create reasons to work in the shop. Times like that are excellent times to have guns that need cleaning. Or guitars that need adjusting. ARs are a bit more time consuming than handguns. But I probably over clean them. Most people won't clean them after only putting 30 rounds through them. I do. Cleaning carbon off a bolt carrier group from a direct impingement AR is a pain in the ass.

I have the remnants of what used to be a $10,000 PA rig out in the shed. And smaller bluetooth speakers for when I actually care if I am annoying other people. In fact I just cleaned my VP9 after my morning range trip to zero my new Holosun 507C GR. Out in the shop listening to Wings- Wildlife.

Nailed it, bud !
just like running a few hundred reloads. its my time of inner peace just me and the dillion and brains watching everything 2x to make sure it goes as planned. no tv, no distractions, then bamm a few hrs have drifted away and i solved the worlds problems in my mind (y)

Back