testtest

Unbelievable and (Out of Control)

Roughly 3 months ago a new resident moved into my building in the apartment complex. He is an elderly gentleman living alone with 2 large
German shepherds, he lives on the 1st floor me on the 2nd. it’s been observed multiple times that the 2 dogs don’t get along unfortunately this morning that was taken to whole new level.

At about 8:30am I heard vicious barking out in hallway and after exiting my apartment and looking down through the opening in the stairwell I saw the gentleman on the ground just outside his apartment door and the black shepherd on top of and viciously attacking the other shepherd, the dog being attacked was on its side unable to defend itself and the gentleman had no control over the black shepherd.

I started yelling at the dogs and it made enough of a difference that the attack stopped and the owner was able to get the shepherd under control, at this point the brown colored shepherd got up and started to walk around and that’s when I noticed it had no leash, the owner was able to get the black shepherd into his apartment but still couldn’t get up off the ground, being still on the second floor I went into my apartment put shoes on and a pullover and holstered my gun grabbing my phone on the way out the door I called 911
Dispatch told me the police couldn’t come but Animal Control would be dispatched. By this time the brown colored shepherd that had taken the brunt of the attack was now roaming the neighborhood, I checked on the gentleman who was still struggling to stand up and then went out to hopefully coral the dog. Eventually the owner caught the dog and an ACO showed up about 30 minutes later. I spoke with him directly and I made the decision not to file a written report, the ACO said he would talk directly to the owner of the dogs. Today if possible I’ll be reporting this incident to apartment management.

What a morning.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people that have kids, guns and dogs that really have no understanding how to be responsible with them. Glad you were able to intervene and stop the attack. I hope you dont wake up one morning and find the dogs have killed the owner.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people that have kids, guns and dogs that really have no understanding how to be responsible with them. Glad you were able to intervene and stop the attack. I hope you dont wake up one morning and find the dogs have killed the owner.
I would add computers, smartphones and cars to that list. And on that list guns are the least dangerous. ;)

That in itself would be tragic however since this gentleman has proven to me he can’t control his dogs I’m more worried about them getting loose and attacking a child in the neighborhood.

I just love it when elderly folks get way more dog than they can handle. A elderly lady on our block many years ago had a large lab. He was pretty good dog from what I observed. I go out to get the newspaper one morning and witnessed the lab pulling to lady down the street chasing a critter. He pulled that poor lady for a long long ways through yards and bushes. Just imagine had he went into or across the street and into the path of a vehicle. After I stopped the dog and got him under control I turned to her and she was in poor shape. I called and waited for the ambulance to come. This poor woman had like most mobility issues once on the ground. She couldn't get up by herself.
I eventually talked to her daughter and expressed my concerns. The daughter listened and agreed she had to give up the dog.
The lady was upset and mad at me, as she said I've had big dogs all my life. She couldn't accept the fact that she no longer had the strength and mobility needed to control said animal. Several months later I seen she had a small poodle which absolutely adored her and was 110 pounds lighter.
The poodle wasn't going to pull her through rose bushes and yards like a snow sled.

I would go into a TRUE story, but the "claw" around here would take it down! You know how you peeps are! Maybe if it were less true it would survive! Stay safe Key! Sounds like the person below you needs to say by by to 1 dog!
Well even though the owner had control over the brown shepherd
(finally leashed) I witnessed the dog barking and going crazy at passing cars in the complex as he was walking it back to his apartment and the owner struggling to control it.
I hope I don’t see the outcome of either of these dogs attacking a child or smaller dog.

And now that I stop and think about how this played out and realizing I wasn’t asked to help not once did the owner of the dogs say
“thank you” to me. 🤯

Last edited:
It is an incident (not an accident) waiting to happen...just a matter of time. The warning signs are there and you've identified them. Unfortunately nothing can or will be done until something bad happens. The one character I feel sorry for most in your scenario is the brown shepherd.
Well I was able to report the incident to the apartment complex management and during the conversation on what apartment the guy and dogs live in the rental manager said there are no dogs listed on the lease?? I do remember when he moved in there were no dogs until about a month after he completed his move in so he probably snuck them in.
I do know from reading my lease renewal there are restrictions on some dog breeds and their aggressive behavior so he probably knew his dogs wouldn’t be allowed if he declared them.
The bottom line this is a very bad situation as these dogs are not only dangerous but shouldn’t be living in a community with young children.

Keystone, my hats off to you. You most likely saved someone's life. "IF you see something, say something". Any reasonable person including me would have done the same.
Thanks I appreciate that and although domestic animals like dogs and cats are not in my focus in regards to my wildlife rescue service I am very passionate about animals and how they are treated as well as the safety of the general population when it comes to unsafe animals. The situation/incident I witnessed today is a travesty of epic proportions for not only people who may come in contact with those dogs but the dogs themselves.
All I can do is pray that someone in authority (apartment management) steps up and does the right thing before someone gets hurt or worse.

I cannot tell you the extent of injuries I have seen from maulings. Owners always say they never thought the dog would do that. Or that they would be injured by their own dog. When selecting a dog first consider what it was bred for. Then train to maintain control. No matter what you use the dog for, companionship, protection, k9, hunting, etc, first is obedience. Without obedience none of the rest of it works. I see people being dragged by their dog and see potential fir tragedy. Dammit if you get a big protection breed get it under control.

I

This goose was well armed however it would have taken one of those dogs attacking a person before my gun cleared leather.
1669505416255.jpeg

I cannot tell you the extent of injuries I have seen from maulings. Owners always say they never thought the dog would do that. Or that they would be injured by their own dog. When selecting a dog first consider what it was bred for. Then train to maintain control. No matter what you use the dog for, companionship, protection, k9, hunting, etc, first is obedience. Without obedience none of the rest of it works. I see people being dragged by their dog and see potential fir tragedy. Dammit if you get a big protection breed get it under control.
Exactly and being realistic when a dog of any breed shows aggressive tendencies no matter the time spent training it.
I’ve told this story before….
When I was married my wife and I did foster care, and although we had multiple dogs all were very well behaved, at one point my wife brought home a Great Dane/Dalmatian cross to replace the pure bred Great Dane that passed away two months prior, we both noticed right away that this new dog was a little aggressive but we both worked on discipline training and thought we had succeeded in changing this dog’s attitude. Then one day with everyone out in the backyard playing our current foster child, a “young girl” went to hug my wife and the dog lunged at her, I was close enough to step between them to avoid her getting bit. The next day the dog was put down, sad but necessary as the dog showed to much aggressive tendencies.

As an update the owner and dogs have not been seen or heard since Saturday morning, my thoughts are the dogs were given to relatives or perhaps surrendered to animal control temporarily and the gentleman is perhaps getting medical attention because as noted he did not look well and had major difficulty getting off the ground after falling.
Although this was a scary and sad situation my hope is all are well and this can be resolved with a good outcome for both the dogs and the owner.

Back