testtest

Unbelievable: Someone leaves carry guns on store counter.

forrest-gump-stupid.gif

Leaves without his handbag. Probably going out on a limb but I’ll bet he gave more attention to his cellphone, likely even used some sort of phone App to pay. Unfortunately we don’t know the full story and maybe rather than leave his hardware in the car, felt it would be safer to toss these in a bag…but two? We’ll never know.

I’m not one to leave stuff lying about, always have a pocket to for that, big stuff goes on the floor by my feet so I know where it’s at before I move.
Ever notice folks in restaurants? Leave their phones and keys on the table all the time, a purse slung over the chair back, maybe hidden by a draped coat over it. It’s an opportunistic petty thief and pickpockets dream.

Way back to twenty five years ago a popular television series warned of the hazards of fancy-boy handbags for men. It should have been a PSA and lesson.

Hey, that guy just stole my European Carry-All!
- A what?
My black leather thing with a strap…
- You mean a purse?
Yes a purse! I carry a purse.

If you’re going to carry a fancy purse, is it any better than…say… a ‘strap-on’ ?

Way back to twenty five years ago a popular television series warned of the hazards of fancy-boy handbags for men. It should have been a PSA and lesson.

Hey, that guy just stole my European Carry-All!
- A what?
My black leather thing with a strap…
- You mean a purse?
Yes a purse! I carry a purse.

If you’re going to carry a fancy purse, is it any better than…say… a ‘strap-on’ ?
That was Reed and Malloy and it was a lot longer than 25 years

Interesting story about leaving a gun behind. Local Mom and Pop restaurant close by me, great food , great prices and great owners. Popular with the Police as well. One day my Wife and I are there. Owner comes over and tells me he found a gun in the ladies room stall. Ok I retrieve it, call the guys on duty, locate the owner who comes to the restaurant all flustered and embarrassed. Well after being read the so called riot act on how irresponsible it was I highly doubt that'll ever happen again.

If the bag of guns had been left on public property would it still illegal for the stranger to take'em? I know morally wrong but.......

Your car is private property. Say they were left on a park bench?
My guns aren't private property? If it's not yours you can't just pick it up and walk away with it. If you live in a state that requires background checks for all firearms transfers you can't just pick it up and walk away with it.

presumably the owner of your hypothetical guns would report them missing or stolen. Do you think "I found them on our park bench and just thought it would be okay for me to take them home and keep them." would be an acceptable answer?

FWIW Trolls don't last very long here

Locally someone found a bag of cash under a dumpster in a alley. They called the sheriff's office. They just took it, no surveillance, no trail cams.
there's an old saying "Money knows no owner." Cash has a serial number but it's not traceable to a specific owner.

Guns have a serial number and they are traceable to at least the first person who bought them from a Firearms dealer.

Again, you take your bag of guns home in a month later you get pulled over with one of them in your car and the cop runs the serial number and it comes back stolen. Do you think "I found them in a bag in the park and thought it would be okay to take them home and keep them. " is going to be a sufficient answer to keep you out of jail?

Theft of Lost or Mislaid Property.
In short, depending on jurisdiction, Any article that can be identified (as by serial number) or owner is known…such property, the Finder must make an attempt to locate the owner, not limited to turnover to police, agent or establishment until such owner can be located. This would mean dogs with ID chip implanted, to a box of store brand cereal….and even firearms...probably the one thing you don’t want to get caught holding.

Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers…
A $20 bill tumbling along the boardwalk is essentially government property…but who gives those back?

Back