testtest

UNDERWOOD AMMO

I’ll add:

I like Underwood’s JHP’s…

Run their 125gr XTP loads in .357 Magnum for years; they’ll do an honest 1500fps out of a snub 686; and their +P 124gr Gold Dot 9mm loads SMOKE out of my USP Expert & Tactical.

But the screwdriver tip loads are pure hokum, imho. Might as well run a light FNFMJ and get the same results for a crap ton cheaper.

After some personal testing with FBI gel, I found that the 115 grain 9mm JHP rounds and the 95 grain .380 rounds of the same brand I used for EDC had a 30%+ failure to expand rate with over some penetration. I have switched to Black Hills Honey Badger 125 grain 9mm and 62 grain .380 for my 3 EDC pistols, all of which have 3.1" or shorter barrels. This was done with and without barriers of different types. I know that some consider these rounds "hokum", and that's their right, but my personal testing convinced me. In the end, carry what you feel is best for you to be capable and safe with in order to stop the threat.

After some personal testing with FBI gel, I found that the 115 grain 9mm JHP rounds and the 95 grain .380 rounds of the same brand I used for EDC had a 30%+ failure to expand rate with over some penetration. I have switched to Black Hills Honey Badger 125 grain 9mm and 62 grain .380 for my 3 EDC pistols, all of which have 3.1" or shorter barrels. This was done with and without barriers of different types. I know that some consider these rounds "hokum", and that's their right, but my personal testing convinced me. In the end, carry what you feel is best for you to be capable and safe with in order to stop the threat.
So-FBI rated gel?

What temperature was it, and what was your test BB penetration?

I run 2 -3 types of ammo in one mag of self defense. I’ll stack my favorite 2-3 types from one brand
Usually stacked with 1 round of HP and then something else. Then repeat.
I want ability to penetrate lots of things with the self defense situation.
Clothes, doors, other material..

Well, in a carry gun I can almost guarantee I won't be shooting through cars or doors. I am also pretty sure that if there ever is a situation where I need to be shooting through cars and doors I will actually be properly armed, because a handgun isn't properly armed in that situation. For me that means a shotgun with a variety of shells on board. If I was an FBI guy or LEO or really anyone tasked with public safety and authorized to mete out deadly force without meeting the " In fear for my life" standard, well, different story.

I don't worry too much about ballistic gel tests and all that other hocus pocus. If I can cut a treated 4x4 in half with a magazine of it, it's probably good enough. Though I am probably good by proxy because @HansGruber DOES worry about gel tests and all that hocus pocus and he's the one that got my brain stuck on the HST, which every one of my mags in every one of my defensive handguns is currently fully loaded with.

Well, in a carry gun I can almost guarantee I won't be shooting through cars or doors. I am also pretty sure that if there ever is a situation where I need to be shooting through cars and doors I will actually be properly armed, because a handgun isn't properly armed in that situation. For me that means a shotgun with a variety of shells on board. If I was an FBI guy or LEO or really anyone tasked with public safety and authorized to mete out deadly force without meeting the " In fear for my life" standard, well, different story.

I don't worry too much about ballistic gel tests and all that other hocus pocus. If I can cut a treated 4x4 in half with a magazine of it, it's probably good enough. Though I am probably good by proxy because @HansGruber DOES worry about gel tests and all that hocus pocus and he's the one that got my brain stuck on the HST, which every one of my mags in every one of my defensive handguns is currently fully loaded with.
If it can go thru a 4x4 wood plank, then it can go thru a door😉😆

So-FBI rated gel?

What temperature was it, and what was your test BB penetration?
FBI rated 10% gel at 44 degrees Fahrenheit. All testing done from a bench rest at 10 yards. Penetration was 15.75" bare gel, 12.0" 3/4" plywood (splinters everywhere including the ogives), 11.25" 4 layers denim, and 12.5" 2 sheets 4" spaced auto door steel (big surprise), 10.7" 4 layers denim for the 9mm 125 gr. Honey Badger. .380 Honey Badger about 20%-25% lower (no surprise). I did not record the exact .380 results but I believe my percentage estimate to be in the ballpark. As stated in my response, my main reason for the switch was the 30%+ failure to expand and over penetration for the 9mm 115 gr. JHP and .380 JHP 95 gr. JHP I was using for EDC. My 3 EDC's tested all have barrels 3.1" and shorter. BTW, advertising had nothing to do with my switch. It was recommended by a retired LEO who assisted in the testing to make sure it was done correctly. I know you don't approve of these rounds so continue to use what you feel safe with. Best regards, I know you are knowledgeable and respect your knowledge but my concerns and testing led me to my conclusions.

Also forgot to mention that penetration listed in my post were for best penetration and no loss of weight was found on any round fired regardless of depth. Also, FBI gel is 10% porcine tissue. This is my last post on this subject as my main concern is over penetration. Shoot the ammo that works best for you in your gun.

Underwood is finally getting stock back in!! Their consistency and quality are unmatched in the industry.
I’m sure Underwood is perfectly fine, I’ve considered buying it from time to time, but in the first five quick searches I did for best defensive handgun ammo it didn’t even show up. Quality and consistency unmatched in the industry is pure hyperbole. Speer Gold Dot, Federal HST and Sig V Crown call 🐂💩.

Back