testtest

Unique Places.

Don't have any digital pictures, only 35mm, but do have pictures.

City of Babylon Iraq. Interesting to actually be there after always hearing about Babylon. Interesting structure and design.
Ziggurat of Ur also in Iraq. The Zig was interesting in itself, built around 4,000 B.C. but there were catacombs that had cruciform writing which predates hieroglyphics in the area. Also one of Abraham's houses that was rebuilt except for the roof. They didn't have to do a lot, just rebuild the top of some walls.

Walt

Don't have any digital pictures, only 35mm, but do have pictures.

City of Babylon Iraq. Interesting to actually be there after always hearing about Babylon. Interesting structure and design.
Ziggurat of Ur also in Iraq. The Zig was interesting in itself, built around 4,000 B.C. but there were catacombs that had cruciform writing which predates hieroglyphics in the area. Also one of Abraham's houses that was rebuilt except for the roof. They didn't have to do a lot, just rebuild the top of some walls.

Walt
There's not much about Iraq that could possibly make me unhappy I got discharged before 9/11, but the history would be fascinating. That sounds like an awesome site to visit.

I'm was never much of a "tourist", and whenever we'd visit an overseas port (Med, Caribbean), I would normally go find a beer, and enjoy being away from the ship for awhile.

benstt,

Trust me, there are things in Iraq that would make you unhappy. Decided early in the first tour that I'll never complain about the heat again until it's over 120. The rainy season sucks, mud sticks to everything. Dry season sucks because of he dust and sand. Of course someone will bitch about anything, doesn't matter what it is.

It was kind of different being able to see Babylon because you hear about it and it's an ancient city but here I am in a combat zone touring it. Of course Saddam had to put his mark on it, there were bricks that he had replaced that stated to effect he or his family had lineage going back to the time it built and influenced it. Never mind that the timeline and reality don't allow that to happen but when you're the dictator you get to make the rules.
The complex around the Ziggurat of Ur was fascinating. It's a complex over 6,000 years old and we looked at it on the horizon like you might see a water tower, building, etc. right now. Then you are talking about stuff the predates hieroglyphics which is ancient and it's right there, you could reach out and touch it. Touring a building that was once home to the Biblical Abraham is mind blowing. Of course you are touring this with a weapon strapped to you but it's stuff many people will never see.
The 'curator' of the Ur complex was third generation and lived on a small farm next to it. Taught himself English out of an Arabic to English dictionary. The tour was considered a morale welfare recreation trip so got to go several times, it was only a couple bucks and killed a couple hours so went more than once. It was interesting to see how his English improved during the year I was there. For those that are not aware the British did a lot of excavation and exploring in Iraq in the 1920's. When showing us a tomb for a king he referenced "the new wood" that the British put in to support the ceiling. Well over 80 years old but in the grand scheme of things it was new.
The point that this is priceless history that the majority of the world will never see due to the hostilities wasn't lost on me either. Kind of a shame. Pretty sure you could devote a lifetime to studying it and not have all the answers.

Take care,
Walt

I'm was never much of a "tourist", and whenever we'd visit an overseas port (Med, Caribbean), I would normally go find a beer, and enjoy being away from the ship for awhile.
As an addendum to my previous post, being able to stand on the Acropolis in Athens, Greece, in 1973 was cool. A tour set-up by the ship's MWR officer was an enjoyable afternoon with a guided tour of the city. That was the only time I was able to see Athens. Other cruises did not include Athens for some unknown reason. The follow-on 4 Med deployments ('75, '77, '78, and '83) became repeticious.....except for the summer of '75 visit to Ibiza, Spain. Almost two weeks there as I recall, anchored in the harbor, and liberty at noon, if you didn't have duty. 😎

Back