testtest

US Military Ammo Choice

Does the US military use US-made ammunition in their sidearms?

If so, is there a specific brand of ammo? What sidearm model do the various branches use?
Yes. M1152 (115gr FMJ practice) and M1153 (147gr JHP “Special Purpose”).

Winchester is currently making it; that can change from contract to contract.

And—the Army is using the Sig M17/M18 (basically, a P320MS); other branches are still using Berettas, Sig P226’s/P228’s/M11’s, and Glock 17’s and 19’s…with a smattering of 1911’s in use by certain SF units, as well as HK45C’s…

Coasties might still be using Sig P229’s in .40.

Actually it depends on the government solicitation whether the contract states "best value" or "lowest price technically acceptable."

For example, Black Hills makes ammunition for the Army Rangers. I would not think they are the lowest bidder.
Trust me when I say if it isn't for something special----its the LOWEST bidder. My experience in this is 23 years! It also doesn't have to accurate you just need to throw a lot of lead out.

Trust me when I say if it isn't for something special----its the LOWEST bidder. My experience in this is 23 years! It also doesn't have to accurate you just need to throw a lot of lead out.
I was just making a clarifying statement from a contract point of view. The Lowest Price, Technically Acceptable (LPTA) is commonly referred to as "lowest bidder." Note. I am well versed in government contracts and the contracting process.

Remember its not a choice, its the cheapest bidder!
Usually the lowest bidder, though not always the case. The lowest bidder still needs to be within the designed spec of whatever is being purchased. When it comes to spec ops lowest bidder doesn't always apply as their equipment is usually custom suited to the task at hand hence spec ops units using HK-416 rifles and not standard mil-spec AR-15's. Unique military task's require unique mil-spec'd equipment and that includes ammo and other gear that are sometimes considered premium.

Usually the lowest bidder, though not always the case. The lowest bidder still needs to be within the designed spec of whatever is being purchased. When it comes to spec ops lowest bidder doesn't always apply as their equipment is usually custom suited to the task at hand hence spec ops units using HK-416 rifles and not standard mil-spec AR-15's. Unique military task's require unique mil-spec'd equipment and that includes ammo and other gear that are sometimes considered premium.
You aren't going to see many Seals or Rangers on mission carrying ball ammo for one thing. And in the case of at least one Commander, you aren't going to see them using it on the range either.

Back