testtest

UTAS XTR-12

RandomHero

Custom
Founding Member
I have a friend that has a UTAS XTR-12. It came with a pretty standard charging handle. He swapped out the charging handle with an ambidextrous charging handle. The new charging handle broke. He installed a different ambidextrous charging handle and is broke as well. Both have broke in the front of the charging handle where the piston rod enters the charging handle. I am under the impression that the standard charging handle on his XTR-12 must be manufactured slightly different.

Do any of you have a UTAS XTR-12? And have any of you had this problem?

I have a friend that has a UTAS XTR-12. It came with a pretty standard charging handle. He swapped out the charging handle with an ambidextrous charging handle. The new charging handle broke. He installed a different ambidextrous charging handle and is broke as well. Both have broke in the front of the charging handle where the piston rod enters the charging handle. I am under the impression that the standard charging handle on his XTR-12 must be manufactured slightly different.

Do any of you have a UTAS XTR-12? And have any of you had this problem?
What brand of ambi handle is your friend using?

I'm not familiar with the UTAS myself though I'm unsure how a charging handle would break so easily unless theres a mechanical compatibility issue or maybe a cheap brand of charging handle is causing the breakage.

Some of those shotguns have different length handles. the one he probably bought is a standard Ar handle. my guess is the different length is a culprit.

This is the where he got his AR-10 charging handle from for the xtr-12

What brand of ambi handle is your friend using?

I'm not familiar with the UTAS myself though I'm unsure how a charging handle would break so easily unless theres a mechanical compatibility issue or maybe a cheap brand of charging handle is causing the breakage.
This is where he got his charging handles from. They were AR10 charging handles. Not sure if any other AR10 charging handle would be built any different. Your thoughts?

This is where he got his charging handles from. They were AR10 charging handles. Not sure if any other AR10 charging handle would be built any different. Your thoughts?
I'm willing to bet those handles are substandard and that's the reason for the breakage. AR-10 rifles are under a lot more spring pressure and the added weight of the BCG can put a lot of strain on a charging handle.

There also could be a compatibility issue. A set of calipers can determine pretty quickly the dimensions of the factory handle compared to the replacement handle.

I'm willing to bet those handles are substandard and that's the reason for the breakage. AR-10 rifles are under a lot more spring pressure and the added weight of the BCG can put a lot of strain on a charging handle.

There also could be a compatibility issue. A set of calipers can determine pretty quickly the dimensions of the factory handle compared to the replacement handle.
Thank you for the info. As I am aware of AR's per say, this is a 12 gauge so a little different animal for me. So I told him there were some experts on here and I would ask for him. I appreciate it guys. Also, what brand if any should I recommend to him for this XTR-12 as a aftermarket part?

Radian raptor is a good one, it's not cheap as most of the better ones are not. Like 10mm life said, check the dimensions of the original compared to the bought ones. also the length.

Do they break while charging the gun or while it is beng shot?

Thank you for the info. As I am aware of AR's per say, this is a 12 gauge so a little different animal for me. So I told him there were some experts on here and I would ask for him. I appreciate it guys. Also, what brand if any should I recommend to him for this XTR-12 as a aftermarket part?
Aero is probably the best for a cost to quality standpoint for a decent ambi charging handle. The Aero CH is made with the higher strength 7075 T6 aluminum where the CH your friend bought is made from 6061 T6 aluminum.

I also use Radian SD charging handles in a few suppressed AR's.

Last edited:
Aero is probably the best for a cost to quality standpoint for a decent ambi charging handle. The Aero CH is made with the higher strength 7075 T6 aluminum where the CH your friend bought is made from 6061 T6 aluminum.

I also use Radian SD charging handles in a few suppressed AR's.
OK thank you 10mmLIfe

UTAS shotguns have major reliability problems. Including the XTR.

Your friend should put the original stock charging handle back in it. Then if he was smart, sell it and try to get some of his money back. Then spend slightly less money and buy a Mossberg 940 Pro Tactical.

UTAS shotguns have major reliability problems. Including the XTR.

Your friend should put the original stock charging handle back in it. Then if he was smart, sell it and try to get some of his money back. Then spend slightly less money and buy a Mossberg 940 Pro Tactical.
Interesting, all the videos he has showed me the XTR is constantly reliable as long as you are using high velocity shells. I will tell him though... 😂

Interesting, all the videos he has showed me the XTR is constantly reliable as long as you are using high velocity shells. I will tell him though... 😂
That's a common issue with some semi auto shotguns. Or it used to be. The Berettas and Benellis will run on anything. And the stuff I have seen on the 940 Pro look pretty good too. Box mag shotguns have really bad track records. Especially Turkish ones. And UTAS doesn't have a great reputation.

If it's a range toy it's a moot point. And to your point I don't think I would spend the money for a Radian CH for one. Put the stock CH back in it.

Radian raptor is a good one, it's not cheap as most of the better ones are not. Like 10mm life said, check the dimensions of the original compared to the bought ones. also the length.

Do they break while charging the gun or while it is beng shot?
While being shot.

Back