testtest

Value of This Springfield, Nickel, .38 Super

mikegc

Elite
I'd like to request some guidance on pricing this nickel Springfield in .38 Super. I cannot find much Internet info on it. It doesn't look like it has been fired very much so it's clean as a pin with no handling marks:
IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3319.jpg

View attachment IMG_3321.jpeg

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Mike

I'd like to request some guidance on pricing this nickel Springfield in .38 Super. I cannot find much Internet info on it. It doesn't look like it has been fired very much so it's clean as a pin with no handling marks:
View attachment 50615

View attachment 50616

View attachment 50617

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Mike
i too cannot help you on pricing, but i can say that i do see scratches on both sides of that slide.

but one sold on Guns America for $699.

i'd not pay that, after seeing those scratches on yours.

1705242030572.png

SOLD - $699.00

3% Credit Card Processing Fee will apply.

Shipping: $25.00 (or FREE in-store pick up!)

Accepted Payment Methods:
Visa
MasterCard
Discover
American Express

Returns: 3 Days
This Seller Accepts Instant Online Payments

I saw one in my LGS with bone grips in a walnut presentation case for $2500. I don't know what makes that one so special other than the caliber but there must be something special about it.

I see a sweet old Bodyguard in the background which would interest me more than the Springfield lol.
That store has bunch of old Colts going back to 1851 Navies in .36. He's got a very nice WWI Colt M1911 that I'm trying to talk him out of and, so far, he just grins and give me "sideways looks." Good times in the gun store!

Mike

Bob Lee loves him some .38 Super. This one time I seen him take out a whole hit squad sent to murder him on a highway with nothing but a Mini-14 and his .38 Super. It was awesome! ;)
Black light?

That was a Colt Commander .45, loaded with Silvertips.

Black light?

That was a Colt Commander .45, loaded with Silvertips.
Yes, Black Light.

I will defer to your evident confidence in citation of the armament (the exact ammo was a nice touch!); I haven't read it in over a decade, maybe closer to two decades. And remember, I had that stroke last year, which always makes a handy card to play for any memory lapses. ;) I DO remember Bob Lee using a .38 Super in something since then, maybe even a couple times. Night of Thunder, maybe?

Hey, I just remembered, I think there's supposed to be a new Bob Lee book out this month. I should go see if it's available yet. Sounds like a ripping good yarn covering all three generations of Swaggers (maybe he'll even work in the fourth gen?).

The .38 Super once had an almost cult like following. Its a great cartridge. I own 4 myself. ;) But since the 9mm 1911s have gotten so popular, I'm afraid that following has dropped considerably. Now days being in .38 Super will work against you.
I've never liked shinny guns just because every tiny, little scratch and ding sticks out like a sore thumb. :(
However, if you find the right buyer, I wouldn't be at all surprised for that gun to sell for $800-1000.

Stephen Hunter is a firearm afficianado. In the books Swagger uses a variety of guns. Several times it was mentioned the 1911 .38 Super was his preferred caliber.
Yah, Hunter's a True Believer. His stuff's not perfect, but it's WAY ahead of most fiction writers. I remember in some book he had Earl Swagger make a shot from a Thompson with the magazine out and somebody must have reminded him that Thompsons fire from open bolt, so there's no way that's possible, and in a later printing he'd come up with some semi-plausible explanation for that little anomaly and corrected it almost seamlessly.

Yes, Black Light.

I will defer to your evident confidence in citation of the armament (the exact ammo was a nice touch!); I haven't read it in over a decade, maybe closer to two decades. And remember, I had that stroke last year, which always makes a handy card to play for any memory lapses. ;) I DO remember Bob Lee using a .38 Super in something since then, maybe even a couple times. Night of Thunder, maybe?

Hey, I just remembered, I think there's supposed to be a new Bob Lee book out this month. I should go see if it's available yet. Sounds like a ripping good yarn covering all three generations of Swaggers (maybe he'll even work in the fourth gen?).
Dirty White Boys/Blacklight are just a spectacular pair of books; by far the best in the Bob Lee Swagger series (with DWB being the best thing he’s written, imho, by far).

Was Night of Thunder the NASCAR one? Yeah, he used a Para P18 .38 Super in that, iirc…

I checked out of the series after the Kennedy one…or maybe the one in the mall with his son. Just didn’t grab me like they used to.

Dirty White Boys/Blacklight are just a spectacular pair of books; by far the best in the Bob Lee Swagger series (with DWB being the best thing he’s written, imho, by far).

Was Night of Thunder the NASCAR one? Yeah, he used a Para P18 .38 Super in that, iirc…

I checked out of the series after the Kennedy one…or maybe the one in the mall with his son. Just didn’t grab me like they used to.
You might have missed a couple good ones. I rather enjoyed The Third Bullet. At least one after that was very good, too.

I think my alltime favorites would have to be Time to Hunt and The 47th Samurai.

Minor scratches, or no, you have a gorgeous handgun. I only wish I was making the decisions; it'd remain in my safe!
i got this from the S&W message board..

in pristine shape, the nickel
guns can bring a premium.

My dislike of nickel guns is after
they've been used such as duty
guns.

I've never seen a nickel used gun that
looks as nice as a worn blued gun.

Give 'em both the same treatment and
the nickel gun will chip and scar worse
than the blued gun.

if i were to spend more money on a highly polished nickel plated gun (new of course), it would get to be a safe queen, and be used rarely, to preserve that more expensive finish.

as it is, i bought a used Ruger Vaquero, with some minor scratches, that i can see close up..the guy wanted $700..

i told him to go fly a kite...i told him of the scratched he was trying to pass off........i got the gun for $525.

no way was i going to pay his price, and it looking the way it did. (they are the tiniest of scratches by the way, but i can see them ALL)

it is a range gun for me..

same thing when i had the chance to buy a new CZ nickel plated 75B..it was $300 more than the blued, (which the blued cost $700), but i knew it would get scratched up at the range...but i wish now i had bought it, cuz that one would have been a safe queen..and CZ does not make that model anymore.....

Back