testtest

Vehicle Water Crossings: How To Guide

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

What to know before trying to cross a body of water in your vehicle!

1704823632317.png

The level of water in that image (200'x10" +/-) floated my department Mustang sideways about 3', right to the edge of the roadway towards a 3' deep drainage ditch. The flash flood followed an AZ summer monsoon storm. The roadway, a desolate narrow two lane county road. I couldn't even turn around as I couldn't see the roadway edge. It was 0230 with no signage to warn of the hazard.

As if that wasn't enough, large pieces of debris were also striking my car. I had no training for that situation, just crossed fingers and a lot of prayer.

Last edited:
The low water bridge at the front of my road by the highway goes under every couple years. Nearly got washed away swimming in after work one year ( I live on a river). By morning I could walk out to my truck in the church parking lot across the highway.

Unless it's an emergency or there is very little water and very little current I'm not driving across it.

yeah, we got at least i area that floods ALL THE TIME, and there are warning signs that flash at you.

but, this being New England, we too have dumbasses much like "Floridah has, dumbass man or woman"..

here is a dipstick, driving a former cop car, ford, crown vic, in deep water..

most likely, hydro-locked his engine..

The level of water in that image (200'x10" +/-) floated my department Mustang sideways about 3', right to the edge of the roadway towards a 3' deep drainage ditch. The flash flood followed an AZ summer monsoon storm. The roadway, a desolate narrow two lane county road. I couldn't even turn around as I couldn't see the roadway edge. It was 0230 with no signage to warn of the hazard.

As if that wasn't enough, large pieces of debris were also striking my car. I had no training for that situation, just crossed fingers and a lot of prayer.
What is it, several inches of water can move several thousand pounds

What is it, several inches of water can move several thousand pounds
This. Flowing water has a LOT of power. Lady we knew in Iowa drowned when driving down a “lightly” flooded road. Carried her car over into a quarry pit (that was also flooded). She could not swim and drowned when the car sank. She called 911 but rescue was too far away

Back