testtest

Very Real-Looking Flyer for KelTec ‘P50’ 5.7x28mm FN P90-Mag Pistol Surface

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
The KelTec P50, a large-format pistol chambered for FN 5.7x28mm that accepts P90 magazines. The “Most unique KelTec yet!”

KELTEC P50

1608768792227.png

I'd like to see this in a PCC configuration, as a lower-cost alternative to the P/PS90.

Said it before and will say it again, Kel-Tec guns are fugly......😬

I agree, again, other than the KSG(25).

Kel Tec could help themselves greatly by dramatic improvement in the QC department. I will say they seem to react pretty quickly to real world beta testing and pretty quickly redesign parts that fail, hence the multiple generations of any given specific weapon. They need to redesign the selector switch on the KSG. After about 1000 rounds mine developed a FTF issue, which I first thought was an issue with the Cartridge Catch Outer. It seemed unlikely this part would develop an issue after 1000 rds. though. Turns out the screw that holds the selector switch over the spring had worked itself loose. The screw can't be tightened fully or the switch won't operate. They should have designed a shoulder bolt that could be fastened securely while allowing the switch to move. My solution was to strip it down, clean the threads and the screw with DNA, then put a drop of blue Loc-tite on it before reassembling. It now functions perfectly again. For the time being.

Little things like this cause a lot of people to look down on their products.

I agree, again, other than the KSG(25).

Kel Tec could help themselves greatly by dramatic improvement in the QC department. I will say they seem to react pretty quickly to real world beta testing and pretty quickly redesign parts that fail, hence the multiple generations of any given specific weapon. They need to redesign the selector switch on the KSG. After about 1000 rounds mine developed a FTF issue, which I first thought was an issue with the Cartridge Catch Outer. It seemed unlikely this part would develop an issue after 1000 rds. though. Turns out the screw that holds the selector switch over the spring had worked itself loose. The screw can't be tightened fully or the switch won't operate. They should have designed a shoulder bolt that could be fastened securely while allowing the switch to move. My solution was to strip it down, clean the threads and the screw with DNA, then put a drop of blue Loc-tite on it before reassembling. It now functions perfectly again. For the time being.

Little things like this cause a lot of people to look down on their products.

It would seem a simple 'shoulder bolt/screw' would be a reasonable fix for this and I'm sure they will find one at some point.

Aside from that, I've owned 3 Keltec's over the years and never had a bad one. I've been really lucky I guess, although I've talked to many others with the same or similar experiences. And my PF9 I actually think is a good looking handgun. I can't really say why, except that I have small hands and it fits extremely well, but I really enjoy shooting it when I can find time and ammo.

I don't have any personal connection to Keltec, other than I was introduced to Mr. Kelgren back in the early 1990's IIRC. He was working at the time out of a small, wood framed garage in his backyard in Cocoa, Fl. I think they were called Grendel Arms back then. Their manufacturing footprint has grown considerably since then.

It would seem a simple 'shoulder bolt/screw' would be a reasonable fix for this and I'm sure they will find one at some point.

Aside from that, I've owned 3 Keltec's over the years and never had a bad one. I've been really lucky I guess, although I've talked to many others with the same or similar experiences. And my PF9 I actually think is a good looking handgun. I can't really say why, except that I have small hands and it fits extremely well, but I really enjoy shooting it when I can find time and ammo.

I don't have any personal connection to Keltec, other than I was introduced to Mr. Kelgren back in the early 1990's IIRC. He was working at the time out of a small, wood framed garage in his backyard in Cocoa, Fl. I think they were called Grendel Arms back then. Their manufacturing footprint has grown considerably since then.

I've just got the one. I was told by a builder I know that the CMR30 ( I think that's the right one) was a dumpster fire, but that the rest of them were all serviceable.

There's no shortage of people who have shot a KSG one time, whining about how crappy they are. The reality is though either those people have gotten a hold of an early one that has unresolved issues or they have relied on internet advice rather than just running the gun until they figured out how they actually function. The thing I see people say all the time is " Rack it like you hate it". That's the dumbest shite I've ever heard. Who the hell wants a shotgun ( especially a SD shotgun) that will FTF or FTE unless you pump it like a gorilla. The really dumb thing is that it's not even necessary. It's shear laziness. Mine operates 100% reliably, regardless of the speed or velocity with which I rack it. All the action on a KSG or KS7 happens in the last 1/2" of travel. It's only necessary to work the action to the full extent of it's travel, both directions. How hard you do it is irrelevant and in fact is most likely what caused that one idiot to blow his fingers off by ripping the VFG off the lower pic rail.

Since I do have some interest in the Keltec shotguns, and especially the KS7, I kind of watch and listen whenever I hear either of them mentioned. In almost all cases I've been able to hear come to an end, it seems the problem most often is determined to be that the shooter simply didn't pump the action full length. For some reason it seems to be common to stop just short of a complete cycle back to the front.

They don't have any longer stroke than most any other pump action shotgun as far as I know, so I really don't have the answer to it. I never felt any need to short stroke the one I have shot (just one magazine load ... well actually two mags), how about you Bob? Any pump action issues with yours?

On edit: And I agree with you, it doesn't make any sense to slam/bang the action. It'll work perfectly smoothly and completely with minimal effort.

Since I do have some interest in the Keltec shotguns, and especially the KS7, I kind of watch and listen whenever I hear either of them mentioned. In almost all cases I've been able to hear come to an end, it seems the problem most often is determined to be that the shooter simply didn't pump the action full length. For some reason it seems to be common to stop just short of a complete cycle back to the front.

They don't have any longer stroke than most any other pump action shotgun as far as I know, so I really don't have the answer to it. I never felt any need to short stroke the one I have shot (just one magazine load ... well actually two mags), how about you Bob? Any pump action issues with yours?

On edit: And I agree with you, it doesn't make any sense to slam/bang the action. It'll work perfectly smoothly and completely with minimal effort.

Mine has been flawless. I was aware that people " Short stroked" them before I bought it. I never had an issue. I think it has a shorter stroke actually than say a Mossberg. It's just that unlike a Mossberg it is important to pump it the full length of it's travel. It's based on the Ithaca Model 37.

While KelTec products won't win any beauty contests they seem to work fine, fill a economic or specialty need niche, and I have to credit them for developing this in order to use the P/PS90 mag.

IMO, the PS90 should cost less than they do since they're actually pretty simple.

Mine has been flawless. I was aware that people " Short stroked" them before I bought it. I never had an issue. I think it has a shorter stroke actually than say a Mossberg. It's just that unlike a Mossberg it is important to pump it the full length of it's travel. It's based on the Ithaca Model 37.

Don't know if you're aware, but the early model Ithaca 37's (probably pre or early 60's and earlier) will 'slam-fire'. If you hold the trigger and work the action, it will fire every time you full stroke it forward.

And as far as short stroking the actions, something else I've learned is that it happens far more often with the verticle front grip than without. Go figure, huh? Glad you've not had any issues. (y) (y) (y)

Don't know if you're aware, but the early model Ithaca 37's (probably pre or early 60's and earlier) will 'slam-fire'. If you hold the trigger and work the action, it will fire every time you full stroke it forward.

And as far as short stroking the actions, something else I've learned is that it happens far more often with the verticle front grip than without. Go figure, huh? Glad you've not had any issues. (y) (y) (y)

Yeah I have one of those Ithacas around here somewhere.

Vertical grip or not, it is completely human error and avoidable. That said, I very much prefer the vert grip on the KSG25. I wouldn't put one on a KSG or KS7 though. Maybe an angled handguard. I briefly had a VG on my Mossberg 500. It was just one more thing in my way when training with it indoors.

Back