testtest

Victor .308 feed problems

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
Have any of you had a Victor .308 jam during feeding? I was at a range in Colorado last week and experienced a number of instances of it. the bolt picked up the round from the magazine and inserted it into the chamber, but it jammed perhaps .25 to .5 inches before going into battery. I did a very thorough cleaning when I got home and noticed there appeared to be some dust in the chamber which I theorize was a contributing factor the the feed problem. Perhaps one of the PMag magazines I used contributed as well. This was using Aguila factory and some Federal/Lake City ammo. Thoughts?

I have read that there are issues with Lake city .308 failing to feed in various AR-10 platform rifles. I have heard of ejection issues with the Aguila ammo. I do not run either in my M110A1.

Pmags are some of the best mags out there. What capacity mags were you running? We’re the rounds fully seated when you inserted the mags? A “little” dust should not hinder it from chambering a round. Federal and even Aguila should run fine.

I will edit to say that the Federal/Lake City has been know to be loaded a little hotter but as far as chambering, should not have an issue with it. I run it and have run it with no issues.

Have any of you had a Victor .308 jam during feeding? I was at a range in Colorado last week and experienced a number of instances of it. the bolt picked up the round from the magazine and inserted it into the chamber, but it jammed perhaps .25 to .5 inches before going into battery. I did a very thorough cleaning when I got home and noticed there appeared to be some dust in the chamber which I theorize was a contributing factor the the feed problem. Perhaps one of the PMag magazines I used contributed as well. This was using Aguila factory and some Federal/Lake City ammo. Thoughts?
Was this the first time you shot it?
Did you clean it before you went out shooting?
Was the gun oiled up sufficiently? I’m not talking dripping with oil but was the BCG wet? Or dry. Same thing happened to me with my .308 Savage AR10

Pmags are some of the best mags out there. What capacity mags were you running? We’re the rounds fully seated when you inserted the mags? A “little” dust should not hinder it from chambering a round. Federal and even Aguila should run fine.
They were 20 rounders I got from Springfield.

Was this the first time you shot it?
Did you clean it before you went out shooting?
Was the gun oiled up sufficiently? I’m not talking dripping with oil but was the BCG wet? Or dry. Same thing happened to me with my .308 Savage AR10
Nope, it was the second time. I'd fired a box the day before to get the optics sighted in. No, I did not clean it before use or oil it between uses.

You shouldn’t have to oil between use, I’ve always recommended a good cleaning on a new firearm. Even a used firearm. Once it’s cleaned and your BCG is somewhat “wet” you should be good to go. I didn’t catch on to you not cleaning it beforehand. I thought I read you gave it a thorough cleaning before hand but it was after the fact.

Nope, it was the second time. I'd fired a box the day before to get the optics sighted in. No, I did not clean it before use or oil it between uses.
Everyone has there own way of doing things however for every time I shoot it I’ll clean it.
20 rounds like you mentioned a quick clean, wipe the BCG down and a lite oiling, 200 or more in one day a heavier cleaning. AR’s like to run “wet” not dripping with oil but wet, Keep in mind some ammunition will make a gun dirtier then other ammunition quicker.
When I run Aquila 300 Black Out in my Victor pistol it gets dirty faster.

A good tap on the back of the mags can help with feeding. It's a habbit I made during my service. I always hit it against my helmet to make sure my ammo is fully seated in the mags before I leave. M4'S tend to have problems if the ammo isn't fully seated in the mags. Metal or Pmags.

[/QUOTE

I have the victor pistol i like c-product mags they're only 20 rounds but they are stainless steel and very reliable as for the ammo I've put 200 aguila with no problem but thats 7.62x51 every thing else was 308. I really like pmc bronze. Hope this helps.

A good tap on the back of the mags can help with feeding. It's a habbit I made during my service. I always hit it against my helmet to make sure my ammo is fully seated in the mags before I leave. M4'S tend to have problems if the ammo isn't fully seated in the mags. Metal or Pmags.

This. Habit, load the mags hit them on your helmet you palm or thigh to make sure they are fully seated, as mentioned in this post. Just a simple quick task to prevent a problem.

It turned out the shop I bought the Lake City brass from was mistaken when he said the brass was already sized for a standard .308 chamber and would only need to be neck sized. He was wrong. I should have knocked the shoulders back a bit. I redid my loads and no problems since. I haven't tried Aguila in it since. Odd that Aguila would give me problems; it's worked great in my 5.56 and in my pistols.

Back