testtest

Victor ammo

I would say go with the heaviest bullet available so velocity will be as slow as possible! This way less sheetrock will be shot threw. 556 in most rounds are high velocity. Maybe try sub ammo. As far as brands, I don't know?

I posted the following for another member a bit ago:

@Jdc , unfortunately, you'll need to do a bit of homework for yourself on this one.

Why?

Because in the real world, tolerance stacking is a real phenomenon.

While both the gun and the ammo which its fed are products of exacting modern manufacturing, they do each have their own tolerances both as mechanical systems themselves and as to how they are each manufactured. As a result, the very real-world phenomenon of tolerance stacking - which is what we in this hobby describe as the combination of various parts' dimensional tolerances interacting in a way that ends up causing a problem - will occasionally rear its head.

Search around on various gun Forums or other social media, and you'll routinely find reports of unique weapons "not liking" a unique make/model of ammo. This can be as simple as a failure to function (that ammo causes stoppages), or it may be that particular gun fails to perform well (external ballistics - i.e. "group") with that ammo.

What do I mean by "unique weapon?"

I don't mean all Springfield Victor X or Y models. Rather, I mean that specific and unique Springfield Victor that you own - not the Springfield Victor that your brother-in-law owns. Not the Victor that your local shooting instructor owns. Not the Victor Rifle that's still sitting on the rack at your local store where you bought yours. I mean your specific copy, the one with that unique serial number which you filled out a 4473 for. :)

As a concrete example, I have four 9mm XDms. One of them does not function well with Magtech 115 gr. range-fodder - it sometimes fails to cycle far enough to strip another round off the mag. Another one locks up so tight when I do malfunction-medley drills with once-fired American Eagle 115 gr. brass case that I literally have to mortar the gun to extract that piece of spent brass.

Similarly, when my buddy put together his Gen3 G19-based Roland Special, I met him at the range with 16 (sixteen!) different makes and models of new factory 9x19 - of that, his gun only misbehaved with one: and at that it wasn't even a functional problem, it just failed to group well with that one ammo out of the sixteen I brought along to test.

AR-wise, my Daniel Defense is perhaps the most ammo-tolerant of all of my ARs - to the point that it'll even reliably function brass-case after having shot hundreds of rounds of steel case immediately prior, and then back again. Meanwhile, one of my BCMs actually loves bulk 55 gr. ammo, often shooting it better than comparable 62 gr.

It's honestly completely OK - and actually, truthfully, not at all unexpected - that any one unique gun may have issues with any one or even a few specific makes/models of ammo. Just make a note of it, and not feed this particular gun that/those ammo, unless, of course, you *do* specifically want to practice reducing spontaneous stoppages.

With defensive ammo, this need to verify for yourself is magnified due to how you may (God forbid) need to employ the gun/ammo. Properly vetting it for function through your AR and the magazines you're setting aside for defensive use - yes, you should definitely segregate defensive magazines from range/training beaters - and making a note of its performance at-range after you achieve your desired zero are all things that none of the rest of us can really help you with, simply because your gun is unique. :)

Agreed on unique to each gun, but both my diff AR pistols have not liked Frontier 5.56 ammo.. chews up their shell casings and jams up ... thinking maybe softer brass ????

The biggest ammo related issue I have ever had is with my mossberg 930 JM 12 gauge.

It runs fantastic with Rio shot shells. When I use the winchester bulk pack from walmart, the extractor will tear the brass and leave the spent shell in the barrel.

Ran into this issue on a warm summer morning at a 3 gun match, never used the Winchester shells again.

Just find something that works and stick with it is my motto.

The biggest ammo related issue I have ever had is with my mossberg 930 JM 12 gauge.

It runs fantastic with Rio shot shells. When I use the winchester bulk pack from walmart, the extractor will tear the brass and leave the spent shell in the barrel.

Ran into this issue on a warm summer morning at a 3 gun match, never used the Winchester shells again.

Just find something that works and stick with it is my motto.
Funny you say that.... Winchester .308 180 grain got torn in half by my rifle as well. I understand big diff from shotgun to rifle round, but the Winchester part caught my eye .
Rifle tore the Winchester spent casing in half, ejected the bottom half and seated another round thru the top of the casing 😳

rifle did work properly after i cleared the jam ... luckily it jammed on me
A1A3A728-6057-4382-AADC-C989E7813431.jpeg
A1A3A728-6057-4382-AADC-C989E7813431.jpeg

Funny you say that.... Winchester .308 180 grain got torn in half by my rifle as well. I understand big diff from shotgun to rifle round, but the Winchester part caught my eye .
Rifle tore the Winchester spent casing in half, ejected the bottom half and seated another round thru the top of the casing 😳

rifle did work properly after i cleared the jam ... luckily it jammed on meView attachment 2220View attachment 2220
Thank goodness it jammed. That would of been catastrophic if it hadn't.

What grain of Frontier? I got my hands on some 5.56 75 grain hollow points haven't had chance to shoot them yet. I guess we will see how they do.

With the very short barrel but 1:7 twist I would think it should handle weights from 50 on up to at least 69/70. The only question I have is whether that combo may limit heavier weights since the short barrel may not allow carbine/rifle length velocities from being achieved.

When I built my AR pistol I kept it to 11.5" length to lessen the velocity loss.

My .02

Back