testtest

Viking River Cruise

Wife and I did a European cruise on Viking a few years ago-Budapest to Passau Germany, then up to Prague. Was, without doubt THE best vacation ever. Vikings riverboats are small (180 passenger), no kids, no casinos, no pressure. Everything was first class. We were satisfied enough that last year we went back on a Viking sea cruise in t he Med around Italy-Greece. There is NO other line I would even consider. Haven’t done the Mississippi cruise simply because we have already been everywhere it goes (drove the river road). With that said, seriously consider the European cruise-last I looked you could actually do one for less $$ than the Mississippi cruise.
 
My wife and I took a Carnival Caribbean cruise for our 25th anniversary way back in 2002. Best vacation I ever had. (y)
However, dealing with long lines and inept security at the airport, the dock and even the bus to get from the airport to the dock had me so pissed that by the time I actually stepped on the boat I was so mad I just wanted to turn around and go home. I can only imagine what its like today. 🤬
 
I wouldn't want to try to talk you out of a cruise, They are wonderful. However, I have to question your choice of the Mississippi river. Frankly, every city on the big muddy is a dangerous POS.
 
Viking Cruise is a rip off. I looked into it, there was no looting or pillaging on the river along the way. Hardly Viking at all. Ok, that was just a cheap laugh and I could not resist.

Having said that, my folks have done riverboat cruises all thru Europe. Very enjoyable. More expensive than cruise ships which keeps out the riff raff. Alaska and Canada are both beautiful by water.
 
My GF has done the Alaskan cruise on Viking and loved it, we've been talking about the Rhine cruise but haven't found any "reputable" feedback.

You might get involved on sailing/cruiser forums, there are smaller boat owners who provide Miss.-Great Loop trips, (Miss.-Ten tom-Ohio others). Might be a better value, more personal attention with a party of 10-20. Better yet, look for trawler owners wanting to do the Loop who are willing to take on another couple for financial support!
 
My GF has done the Alaskan cruise on Viking and loved it, we've been talking about the Rhine cruise but haven't found any "reputable" feedback.

You might get involved on sailing/cruiser forums, there are smaller boat owners who provide Miss.-Great Loop trips, (Miss.-Ten tom-Ohio others). Might be a better value, more personal attention with a party of 10-20. Better yet, look for trawler owners wanting to do the Loop who are willing to take on another couple for financial support!
But they don’t use a fake riverboat!
 
My GF has done the Alaskan cruise on Viking and loved it, we've been talking about the Rhine cruise but haven't found any "reputable" feedback.

You might get involved on sailing/cruiser forums, there are smaller boat owners who provide Miss.-Great Loop trips, (Miss.-Ten tom-Ohio others). Might be a better value, more personal attention with a party of 10-20. Better yet, look for trawler owners wanting to do the Loop who are willing to take on another couple for financial support!
Sounds like a good way to get Shanghaied! lol
 
You should take a Carnival cruise and watch diversity in action, you'll enjoy the fights and loud hip hop.

Well , this illiustrates the dichotomy of Cruises . It's pretty much one thing or another .

1. Priced to be cheaper than a hotel room at the beach , and attract hard partying young people .

2. Long , $$$ cruises are primarily affluent retirees .
 
Well , this illiustrates the dichotomy of Cruises . It's pretty much one thing or another .

1. Priced to be cheaper than a hotel room at the beach , and attract hard partying young people .

2. Long , $$$ cruises are primarily affluent retirees .
Most Carnival Cruise problem cruises are to the Caribbean. Select clientele, not many problems going to Alaska!
 
Any members here ever been on a Viking River Cruise? Specifically, the US, and the Mississippi River. The wife and I have not been on a real vacation together since just about forever. I have a cousin who with her husband went on a Viking River Cruise in Europe, and they loved it. The European Cruise is just a bit too much to get our feet wet in for our first river cruise. That's why I like to hear from some of you that may have taken a Mississippi river cruise. Try one out here first before we think about a European cruise. Now just to be clear, I'm not at all interested in any sea cruises. I did a couple of those in my younger days and was not impressed. Just not interested in being stuck on a Waffle House covid cruise with 5000 other people and tourist trap port calls. Thanks.

Some acquaintances of mine went on a similar trip and were absolutely delighted; the ship moves slowly along the coast, the scenery constantly changes, and with few passengers on board, nothing disturbs your relaxation. It is nothing like those massive floating hotels where thousands of tourists jostle for space by the pool. Besides, starting with a trip within your own country is far less stressful than immediately flying across the ocean to Europe. Planning such trips and selecting convenient booking options always builds a pleasant sense of holiday anticipation. While looking for information on fast and secure payment methods, I stumbled upon a helpful review at https://icasino-reviews.co.nz/google-pay/ that details many interesting points. Such user-friendly sites make it easy to navigate and find the answers you need for your leisure activities.
Have you and your wife already chosen a specific destination, or are you just looking at dates for now?
 
We did a Viking “Christmas Cruise” on the Danube in 19-absolutely incredible-first class ALL the way. Highly, highly recommend. Haven’t done the one on the Missippi, however we get brochures all the time. Based on what we’ve seen, it can be more expensive than the European cruises. Check hard on pricing. We’ve got an excellent travel agent we’ve worked with on a number of trips, as have my BIL (in Pa) and a cousin (in Ca). PM if you’d like details.
 
Have you and your wife already chosen a specific destination, or are you just looking at dates for now?
No dates or destinations yet. All those plans are on the back burner for now. My wife still works (I'm retired) and since she had to use up most of her vacation days for surgeries she needed on her foot and ankle. And then my son went and took a job in Pittsburg, so we are planning a trip there next spring. It will be about two more years before my wife will have enough time off saved up to take a long vacation.
 
Back
Top