testtest

Watching a "Mass Shooting" Disappear from the News

wmg1299

Professional
Today in Dallas two hospital employees in the Labor & Delivery department of Methodist Hospital were callously murdered by a suspect with a handgun. The suspect was shot by police, but is expected to survive. Just as the media was ready to declare this crime as a reason that we need more "sensible gun safety laws", the Dallas PD Chief released the following information: "Police say the suspect, 30-year-old Nestor Hernandez, has been charged with capital murder. Hernandez is currently on parole for aggravated robbery and was wearing an active ankle monitor."

The Dallas Chief then made the following statement on Twitter: "Our hearts @DallasPD go out to the those affected by this tragedy, I’m outraged along with our community, at the lack of accountability, and the travesty of the fact that under this broken system, we give violent criminals more chances, than our victims. The pendulum has swung too far."

Almost immediately, the story started disappearing from national news. Outside of local DFW news, I'm seeing virtually no updated coverage of the crime. I am interested to know if those of you from other areas of the country see any coverage of the event. If you do, do they mention the suspect's criminal history and ankle monitor?

Today in Dallas two hospital employees in the Labor & Delivery department of Methodist Hospital were callously murdered by a suspect with a handgun. The suspect was shot by police, but is expected to survive. Just as the media was ready to declare this crime as a reason that we need more "sensible gun safety laws", the Dallas PD Chief released the following information: "Police say the suspect, 30-year-old Nestor Hernandez, has been charged with capital murder. Hernandez is currently on parole for aggravated robbery and was wearing an active ankle monitor."

The Dallas Chief then made the following statement on Twitter: "Our hearts @DallasPD go out to the those affected by this tragedy, I’m outraged along with our community, at the lack of accountability, and the travesty of the fact that under this broken system, we give violent criminals more chances, than our victims. The pendulum has swung too far."

Almost immediately, the story started disappearing from national news. Outside of local DFW news, I'm seeing virtually no updated coverage of the crime. I am interested to know if those of you from other areas of the country see any coverage of the event. If you do, do they mention the suspect's criminal history and ankle monitor?
Was this person a criminal fro Dallas county or Tarrant. 1 being blue and the other being red.

In Kentucky I didn’t see it on the TV news but it was in my news feed from WLKY (CBS) however it gave very little detail.

I will say this; Kentucky is becoming one of those states that is releasing under “home confinement” many criminals including those arrested for attempted murder and murder. Reprehensible.

It’s not being reported as a mass shooting because, technically, it’s not.

The official definition is over 3 victims for it to be classified as a mass shooting.
By some of the definitions, it is actually 4 victims (not including the shooter). Certain organizations also count any injuries suffered by innocent parties during the incident (ex. sprained ankles while running away) in order to inflate their numbers. That's how some of the institutions/organizations often cited by the media are able to claim that the U.S. has hundreds or thousands of "mass shootings" per year.

I'm with you on this not being an actual "mass shooting". My post was more commenting on how several mainstream media sources, especially CNN, had already started the "we need common-sense gun safety laws" theme within minutes of the shooting being reported on local Dallas news. I haven't checked this morning, but as of late last night CNN had not added the information about the shooter being a felon wearing an ankle monitor. It looked like, at that time, CNN merely stopped updating the story at all.

By some of the definitions, it is actually 4 victims (not including the shooter). Certain organizations also count any injuries suffered by innocent parties during the incident (ex. sprained ankles while running away) in order to inflate their numbers. That's how some of the institutions/organizations often cited by the media are able to claim that the U.S. has hundreds or thousands of "mass shootings" per year.

I'm with you on this not being an actual "mass shooting". My post was more commenting on how several mainstream media sources, especially CNN, had already started the "we need common-sense gun safety laws" theme within minutes of the shooting being reported on local Dallas news. I haven't checked this morning, but as of late last night CNN had not added the information about the shooter being a felon wearing an ankle monitor. It looked like, at that time, CNN merely stopped updating the story at all.
You take the felon off the streets.
Not the firearm off the streets and the felon stays free.

Guns dont walk around and shoot people

In Kentucky I didn’t see it on the TV news but it was in my news feed from WLKY (CBS) however it gave very little detail.

I will say this; Kentucky is becoming one of those states that is releasing under “home confinement” many criminals including those arrested for attempted murder and murder. Reprehensible.
That's probably the reason many of us keep a loaded gun or two around the house these days!

Heres what’s happening in my town as of Sunday, they haven’t updated the tally but as of 4 a.m. a total of 10 kilt and 34 shot since Friday afternoon, includes a Mass Shooting.…

Back