testtest

Way of the dinosaurs……..

Very good responses, but I think you guys missed my point, I know about the older steel frame guns that’s available, in my original starting post I was referring to new pistols, not re-issue ones.
Did not miss the point. Given the fact that older models and reissues are so very popular I doubt that steel or other metal frames are going away. Companies will still see a profit in making them and that will mean new designs, even if no where on the numbers of plastic. In the not so distant past Sig has introduced several metal frame variants of popular plastic models. That in itself shows that there is still a market.

Just a couple of years ago Dan Wesson brought out the DWX Cz75 1911 hybrid. The Wilson ECD 9 is completely new.

And, what is the difference between a Glock generation 10million being considered a new design release and say the reintroduction of the HiPower or clones or Sig p210 with modern improvements something new, is quite simply something new...

Last edited:
Very good responses, but I think you guys missed my point, I know about the older steel frame guns that’s available, in my original starting post I was referring to new pistols, not re-issue ones.
Correct me me if I’m wrong but are not some of the new SA 1911 new?
Garrison.
Emissary.
Ronin. Relatively new.
Yeah I’m a Springfield guy so I don’t have the information on other manufacturers.

It appears to me that all the new firearms are being made for women like S&W EZ series and Walther introduced their F-Series the rest are for the new gun buyer zombie killers with their mega magazine capacity.
The 1911's by almost every manufacturer have only subtle changes, so I won't call them new.
That being said, I'll stay old school and take all the 1911's and revolvers I can get.
I am with you

Correct me me if I’m wrong but are not some of the new SA 1911 new?
Garrison.
Emissary.
Ronin. Relatively new.
Yeah I’m a Springfield guy so I don’t have the information on other manufacturers.
Ok, again my original starting of this thread said new pistol designs, not 1911’s which I mentioned in the original post, those pistols you mentioned are not new designs, just re-issues…..or updated pistols.

Ok, again my original starting of this thread said new pistol designs, not 1911’s which I mentioned in the original post, those pistols you mentioned are not new designs, just re-issues…..or updated pistols.
The problem is, you really cannot just exclude 1911s from your query. Yes each new model is not a completely original design that is a given. However, Interest and desire for the 1911 is part of what slows new designs for metal framed pistols.the market is driven by customer desire.

Take springfield, if suddenly demand for 1911s slowed down they would do more research and development into new ,original designs as you are inquiring about. It's like the SA35, a perceived demand drove the development of thir new, albeit, old design.

Therefore demand for steel and alloy pistols is still relatively high. And both by bit there will be new designs, but, the market will for the foreseeable future be driven by oldies but goodies.

The same thing is happening on a smaller scale with Glocks. Look at Lone Wolf and Palmeto state. Instead of RD and making a completely new design instead they bring out thier version of the Glock, voila, a new model pistol, kinda.

Steel, isn't going away, maybe just not as interesting new design wise as plastics.

Last edited:
The problem is, you really cannot just exclude 1911s from your query. Yes each new model is not a completely original design that is a given. However, Interest and desire for the 1911 is part of what slows new designs for metal framed pistols.the market is driven by customer desire.

Take springfield, if suddenly demand for 1911s slowed down they would do more research and development into new ,original designs as you are inquiring about. It's like the SA35, a perceived demand drove the development of thir new, albeit, old design.

Therefore demand for steel and alloy pistols is still relatively high. And both by bit there will be new designs, but, the market will for the foreseeable future be driven by oldies but goodies.

The same thing is happening on a smaller scale with Glocks. Look at Lone Wolf and Palmeto state. Instead of RD and making a completely new design instead they bring out thier version of the Glock, voila, a new model pistol, kinda.

Steel, isn't going away, maybe just not as interesting new design wise as plastics.
I will agree on the Glock, they make a small update and bingo, a new Gen version, only difference I saw in the Glock was the Gen 5 which they changed a lot of internals and the barrels, to me Gen3 and Gen 4 are the same except for the no tennifer on the Gen 4's

I’ve been watching the past couple years the new pistol release’s, except for the 1911, there are really no new metal frame pistols being released, now S&W did this year with the CSX, but that’s about it, so does this mean metal frame pistols are going the way the dinosaurs went….. new releases I am referring to, polymers are great, but I love the old metal frames….🤔🤔🤔🤔
CZ-75 and SA35 come to mind.

Here’s one. I was on Classic Firearms a while ago And saw the Alien by Laugo Arms from Czechoslovakia. There are 2 models priced between $4K and $5.5K 😵‍💫🫣🤯. I posted 2 links below with its details.

Excerpt from write-up in link below:
“The frame is steel with the entire grip housing being interchangeable. The grip housing is alloy

I’m talking about new metal pistols once again, like the S&W CSX and the Armscor, not a new variation of a 1911, but doesn’t matter, I’m through with this, good results, I was referring to new metal frame guns, I know the older ones will be around for a long time, this wasn’t my intention on this thread, was just saying hardly any new ones are now being made, just more new polymer pistols.

Last edited:
This thread makes me think of that inventor fellow who had the design that was going to make all current pistols obsolete. He was here for a short time.

Wonder how that's going...

I’m talking about new metal pistols once again, like the S&W CSX and the Armscor, not a new variation of an old model 1911, but doesn’t matter, I’m through with this, good results
I know and its a bit frustrating that you are getting answers you do not think fit your criteria, i understand that completely.

Yes, your question referenced new designs, but the actual question was are metal framed pistols going the way of the dinosaur.

To answer your question completely, one has to take into account old designs that are still big sellers. Because they influence the present and future, at least for the time being. More people seem to be interested in the old classic metal and wood all the time. This interest may well give you eventually the new designs you are interested in.

Sorry for hijacking your thread with answers off line.

I know and its a bit frustrating that you are getting answers you do not think fit your criteria, i understand that completely.

Yes, your question referenced new designs, but the actual question was are metal framed pistols going the way of the dinosaur.

To answer your question completely, one has to take into account old designs that are still big sellers. Because they influence the present and future, at least for the time being. More people seem to be interested in the old classic metal and wood all the time. This interest may well give you eventually the new designs you are interested in.

Sorry for hijacking your thread with answers off line.
No problem, that’s what makes a good forum

Back