testtest

Weak hand shooting. The skill, technique and practice

I have an old Mossberg 500a that needs some love. The stock is cracked. I keep going back and forth between the Magpul stock or just doing new wood furniture.
It will mostly be a turkey gun, but I also want to do some trap shooting, too.

For practical purposes I would prefer the Magpul, but there's something about an old pump shotgun with wood

Love the pics, nice progression on the 500 and the rebirth on the older 500A. Great work on them both.

My old Mossberg 500 got replaced with a Remington tactical. I have regrets getting rid of that old Mossberg Remington was nice, but had feelings for that Mossberg.
I have an 870 somewhere. I much prefer the 500 myself.

I have an old Mossberg 500a that needs some love. The stock is cracked. I keep going back and forth between the Magpul stock or just doing new wood furniture.
It will mostly be a turkey gun, but I also want to do some trap shooting, too.

For practical purposes I would prefer the Magpul, but there's something about an old pump shotgun with wood

The wood furniture from that 500A is safely stored. In the event the desire comes for whatever reason to return it to stock condition it will take about 15 minutes to put it back. That said if I was doing a turkey gun with no plans to use it defensively I would probably leave it wood if that's how it came. Otherwise I think the Magpul stock(s) are better suited to stand up to hard field use and infinitely more adjustable and versatile. As ugly as that Magpul SGA stock is, it is very comfortable and handles recoil better and swings faster than a traditional stock.

Really nice job on the guns. Now as far as weak hand shooting goes I can, not pretty but would be painful within 10 yds, and honestly don't practice enough. I'm still trying to get all of my shots thru the same hole with my strong hand :)

I'm not totally ambidextrous but close. I can't write or play guitar left handed, everything else is about equal. I box southpaw and I'm more comfortable kicking or batting left. I do shoot handguns better from the right side even though I am left eye dominant. Shotguns though I can go either way. Beaded shotguns I shoot better from the left side for obvious reasons. Most of my shotguns have optics on them though so it's a moot point. I could have two broke shoulders and I would still figure out a way to shoot them.
Note to self: Watch out for @Bassbob’s sucker punch.

Lots of folks do not practice weak hand shooting skills and technique .

What made me think of this, is a picture of a British Soldier training in an exercise from an article I was reading.View attachment 30429
Body fully exposed in a breach hole.

He would benefit tremendously from some weak hand practice.

I know I practice it, but not enough. Mediocre is probably my skillset. I can do it, but not well enough.

Time to practice some more once eyes are up and running.

Here are some tips;

When I started shooting IPSC in the late 70s, weak hand shooting was mandatory in some matches.

It's something I've done since then and frankly it's easy if you just start dry firing. Use snap caps if your weapon requires it. 1911s don't really need them

When I started shooting IPSC in the late 70s, weak hand shooting was mandatory in some matches.

It's something I've done since then and frankly it's easy if you just start dry firing. Use snap caps if your weapon requires it. 1911s don't really need them
Welcome to the forum 👍

Shooting IPSIC is where I also started shooting weak hand and it was mandatory for some of the stages.

Back