testtest

Weapon Cleaning Preferences

Mr.W.

Professional
Founding Member
What cleaning/maintenance products do you favor? Mine are Hoppe's #9 solvent and Gun Medic, Tetra Action Blaster (sparingly), Rem Oil spray, Lucas Gun Oil, and, of course, Bore Snakes. I know, pretty boring, but it works for me! Good shooting.

I stick with what works for me, with all the wonder solvents out there I've stuck with Shooter's Choice bore cleaner, Break Free CLP, and Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner. They haven't let me down over the years and I don't see any reason to switch really. For bench cleaning I use Dewey one piece rods and jags and the occasional Bore Snake if I'm in a hurry. Otis Tech toothbrushes with the blue bristles are awesome, I have half a dozen on hand at any given time. I use Possum Hollow or Dewey bore guides.

When I head to the range or a match I take a field maintenance kit that's packed with an Otis cleaning kit, extra tools, spare parts, etc... It fits into a pouch that's about 4"X7"X2". I've used it on other people's guns more than I've had to use it on my own lol.

Hoppe's, One Shot, Lucas solvents/oil
Various patches bought on line
Tipton Rod, Bore Guide,and Jags
Multiple nylon brushes
Bore Snakes, small bottle of solvent/oil in every range bag

It seems I have a little bit of everything that I have accumulated over time looking for the 'right' cleaner, lube. Still haven't found it yet, but I have found that they all seem to work to one degree or another.

Parts that need oil, such as trigger springs, get Lucas Gun Oil.

Parts that slide get CherryBalmz Black Rifle Balm grease.

For cleaning I use Birchwood-Casey Gun Scrubber and hose everything out. Brake parts cleaner will work as well, just have to be careful around certain plastics or finishes.

For long term storage (barrel protection) or corrosion protection I wipe the outside down with Birchwood-Casey Barricade.

Hoppes , Break free , and Lubriplate white lithium grease for things that slide. Many years ago I used G-96 gun spray on my shotguns and rifles but got away from it for some reason.

As with a lot of folks who go to training classes up here in NE-Ohio and the Great Lakes, I would consider myself a student of (the disciples of) Pat Rogers.

I'm very fond of Slip 2000's products for both cleaning and lubrication.

That said, more recently, I've been following the School of the American Rifle's website blog and social media, and I've purchased some CherryBalmz products. Similarly, it's also from Mr. Albrecht that I've learned about the Birchwood-Casey "Barricade" product.

As someone who does not clean his range/training "beaters" for often thousands of rounds, I appreciate lubes that keep my gun working, and cleaning solvents that do their jobs without harsh smells that my wife and daughter complains about. :)

I kinda mix it up...Ballistol, Hoppes, Lucas Extreme Duty, Lucas Gun Oil. In fact, I may use Ballistol on one part of the firearm, and Lucas on the other. I’m kinda like that!

I've been using Belrock Sportsman gun oil. It cleans but evaporates quickly. I'm going to try some of these oils/greases mentioned here.

So I’ve been looking for a good sling for my 6.5 Creedmore. It’s a Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmore. And good suggestions?

Back