testtest

Well, my my my...look what I found!

belladonna

Professional
So...I woke up with a wild hair, and decided to muscle an old box down from a shelf in the garage. It has been there since we moved into this house in 2015, packed up with all my worldly possessions when I moved to the US. Mice left their calling cards, but I found some cool stuff. Besides camera equipment, a nice (untouched by mice) leather jacket (that still fits, btw), and these....
IMG_3516.jpeg
IMG_3515.jpeg
IMG_3514.jpeg
IMG_3513.jpeg

Bell, your K-Bar looks a lot nicer than these two. Both were produced and issued during WWII, but only one appears to have been sharpened. The one on the bottom is the earlier of the two. Hey, when you get old like me you may find that you get reaquainted with stuff you forgot you had almost every day. Even worst, I'm starting to find the same stuff over and over again that I keep forgetting about. Oh well! :(
Ka-Bars.JPG

Nice, its always nice to find something you forgot it's like a freebie. I especially like the two Kabars, hard to tell exactly size on the hunter maybe a 3.5 to 4 inch blade. Those two together could help a person survive in the woods a long time.
Good eye. The hunter has a 4 inch blade. I knew I had USMC Kabar somewhere, but there was never any urgency to find it. I also found an old security uniform with an old Kershaw still on it! It was like Christmastime! I had replaced it so now I have two.

Bell, your K-Bar looks a lot nicer than these two. Both were produced and issued during WWII, but only one appears to have been sharpened. The one on the bottom is the earlier of the two. Hey, when you get old like me you may find that you get reaquainted with stuff you forgot you had almost every day. Even worst, I'm starting to find the same stuff over and over again that I keep forgetting about. Oh well! :(
View attachment 42837
Hey...I may be as old as you. I find stuff I have forgotten about all the time...but all these knives in one place??? Oh my heart!! Those are awesome! I love stuff that has been well used. Mine are all pretty new.

So...I woke up with a wild hair, and decided to muscle an old box down from a shelf in the garage. It has been there since we moved into this house in 2015, packed up with all my worldly possessions when I moved to the US. Mice left their calling cards, but I found some cool stuff. Besides camera equipment, a nice (untouched by mice) leather jacket (that still fits, btw), and these....
View attachment 42833View attachment 42834View attachment 42835View attachment 42836
Some of the "other" tools I'm hooked on.

Nice little collection and all are useful.

View attachment 42833View attachment 42834View attachment 42835View attachment 42836
Being a former Marine, Ka-Bar knives hold a special place in my heart...:)
Nice knives. Thanks for sharing the pictures...:)

That is an EXCELLENT collection of steel, and I'd be proud to own any of them.

In fact, I DO own quite a few of them. I didn't know the CRKT was available with a red handle or I'd have bought that (mine, carried every day for about 15 years now, has a boring ol' black handle).

Your MTech seems to be a high-quality (maybe even improved) copy of my old Gerber Mark I, which I bought at a gun show in the mid-'70s. ;)

That is an EXCELLENT collection of steel, and I'd be proud to own any of them.

In fact, I DO own quite a few of them. I didn't know the CRKT was available with a red handle or I'd have bought that (mine, carried every day for about 15 years now, has a boring ol' black handle).

Your MTech seems to be a high-quality (maybe even improved) copy of my old Gerber Mark I, which I bought at a gun show in the mid-'70s. ;)
That CRKT is a “FD” issue…whatever that means. I think it was for firefighters at the time. I think I picked it up in Winnipeg in 2009 or 10.
Now I have to reorganize my collection. It’s currently in a couple of drawers. I suppose it’s about time to have an actual “place” for all of them. 😉😎

This is a M Tech dagger. Picked this one up in Winnipeg 2009
Seems to be a copy of the Gerber Mark 1, one of the most copied fighting knives of all time. I have an original and have picked up a couple of REAL cheap, crappy copies over the years. Your M Tech looks to be a high-quality, modernized clone.

The original Gerbers came with a cool sheath that had a thumb-break strap and a nifty belt clip that worked GREAT with tall cowboy boots. Only drawback to this arrangement was that the very rough textured handle of the knife would rub against and irritate your calf, but you COULD get used to that. Yes, I speak from experience on that point. Wore mine that way quite a bit in the late '70s.

1693017681584.png

Seems to be a copy of the Gerber Mark 1, one of the most copied fighting knives of all time. I have an original and have picked up a couple of REAL cheap, crappy copies over the years. Your M Tech looks to be a high-quality, modernized clone.

The original Gerbers came with a cool sheath that had a thumb-break strap and a nifty belt clip that worked GREAT with tall cowboy boots. Only drawback to this arrangement was that the very rough textured handle of the knife would rub against and irritate your calf, but you COULD get used to that. Yes, I speak from experience on that point. Wore mine that way quite a bit in the late '70s.

View attachment 42862
I bought one of those in a knife store in the Westroads shopping mall in Omaha in 1983. I carried it in my boots a couple of times but it was a real pain in the ass.

I'm very lucky that I did not get caught with that knife because I'm fairly certain it was illegal in Omaha.

My stupid roommate stole it from me in 1985 or 86 when I was living in Clearwater Florida. I was never able to find one to replace it. If I had the opportunity now I wouldn't waste my money.

20230825_223749.jpg

Here's a little bit of open mouth insert foot for you.

In late 1990 my unit was getting ready to go to Desert Storm, actually Desert Shield at the time. I decided I needed a good fighting knife to take with me. So I went down to a mall in Tacoma and I found a knife store.

I had a choice between a K-bar and this Gerber Mark II. I knew nothing of knives at the time.

So I let the owner of the knife shop know that I was getting ready to go off and fight for my country and wanted to know which of the two he would recommend.

It turns out that the guy had fought in Korea and apparently his unit had been overrun by either North Koreans or Chicoms and he did, in fact, have to defend himself in a hand-to-hand knife fight with his USMC issued K-Bar. He explicitly told me that if he found himself in the same situation with only a Gerber Mark II he would consider himself to be unarmed.

I was still stupid and bought the Mark II.

Again, if I had it to do all over again I wouldn't have bought either the Mark I or the Mark II except maybe as a novelty item

FB_IMG_1693025660730.jpg

Right about the time that all the Covid insanity started I decided I needed to get serious about putting together an actual Get Home Bag. After doing some research I decided to the best combination of budget and utility for me would be a Gerber Strongarm.

Back