testtest

well, that was a long hour of my life......

Old_Me

Ronin
i went to the club this morning, took my very first gun with me, the Glock 17. it will be 2 years old in February of 2022. i keep a log book on all my guns, and this one now has 2541 rnds thru it.

the rounds shot thru it, were either, dirty reloaded or factory fresh.

can't recall where i read it, maybe Glock message board(??), that when a Glock hits the 3,000 rnds point, but i cannot fully recall, this is a good time to deep clean the slide.

anyway, took the 17 home, and started taking apart the slide.

made sure i captured the striker assembly and the extractor spring

ran a Q-tip thru the striker channel, came out really black

used a pipe cleaner for the extractor channel, came out not as black as the striker one.

removed the safety plunger, and there was "Some" tiny metal filings stuck to it.

the extractor fell out on it's own, and got wiped down.

i watched a few video's, and the job was not difficult, just a bit scary for the first time.

cleaned the slide, reassembled all those "innards", (dry of course), then continued on with the "normal" cleaning of the rails, etc.

at least now, should i have to replace the striker or anything else, this is one operation i should be able to do, maybe in less time, and sweat..???

i went to the club this morning, took my very first gun with me, the Glock 17. it will be 2 years old in February of 2022. i keep a log book on all my guns, and this one now has 2541 rnds thru it.

the rounds shot thru it, were either, dirty reloaded or factory fresh.

can't recall where i read it, maybe Glock message board(??), that when a Glock hits the 3,000 rnds point, but i cannot fully recall, this is a good time to deep clean the slide.

anyway, took the 17 home, and started taking apart the slide.

made sure i captured the striker assembly and the extractor spring

ran a Q-tip thru the striker channel, came out really black

used a pipe cleaner for the extractor channel, came out not as black as the striker one.

removed the safety plunger, and there was "Some" tiny metal filings stuck to it.

the extractor fell out on it's own, and got wiped down.

i watched a few video's, and the job was not difficult, just a bit scary for the first time.

cleaned the slide, reassembled all those "innards", (dry of course), then continued on with the "normal" cleaning of the rails, etc.

at least now, should i have to replace the striker or anything else, this is one operation i should be able to do, maybe in less time, and sweat..???
Did the striker look ok? All the ones I worked on over the years I never needed to replace it unless I saw something wrong with it. I did at one time have to replace 1 extractor due to a chip in the lower portion of it, otherwise I didn’t have to change anything, wouldn’t hurt to pick up a few extra parts just in case. What Gen is your Glock, if it’s a Gen 4 or earlier I would recommend getting a few trigger return springs to keep on hand, these at time can break leaving your gun inoperable. If it’s a Gen 5, it has a totally different spring and setup, so the spring for the older Gens won’t work.

Did the striker look ok? All the ones I worked on over the years I never needed to replace it unless I saw something wrong with it. I did at one time have to replace 1 extractor due to a chip in the lower portion of it, otherwise I didn’t have to change anything, wouldn’t hurt to pick up a few extra parts just in case. What Gen is your Glock, if it’s a Gen 4 or earlier I would recommend getting a few trigger return springs to keep on hand, these at time can break leaving your gun inoperable. If it’s a Gen 5, it has a totally different spring and setup, so the spring for the older Gens won’t work.
yes, striker was like new, and it is a Gen 4, extractor was like new too.

i was thinking of buying some small parts as you say, just factory OEM, not anything special. or may just go with a trigger drop-in assembly

the Glock store has gotten better over the past year with filling orders, and quicker shipping times.

this is not my primary gun, but as a sorta "back up" to my hellcat, for home defense, as well as the G30.

i used the "polymer safe" cleaning spray for the striker/spring assembly

ok, I would pick up a couple trigger return springs and a recoil spring assembly, this is all I got for spares on my Glocks
well my parts from the Glock Store came this afternoon. after a very short nap, i went to the basement to do some replacing/updating.

on the G-17, i replaced the trigger spring with a competition spring, and i also replaced the striker safety plunger with Lenny's "gold titanium " one, which is rounded, rather than beveled like the OEM piece.

did the same thing on my G-21 as well.

have to wait till monday before i can try out both guns.

before doing this updating, i checked out the trigger pull with my Lyman gauge.

i shaved off about 3/4 to nearly a full 1 pound of trigger pull

not earth shattering, but i did feel the difference.

range toys, not self defense guns.

Nice job. Doing more than a field strip makes me nervous.
i been slowly "experimenting and learning" some of the easier things to do on "some" of my guns. (thanks to some very good Youtube videos)

for instance, i will NOT take apart any of my 1911's, just yet. if i do, it'll be the low end priced one(s) to maybe put in a "drop-in" trigger assembly from Nighthawk Customs.

some guys i spoke with on a 1911 site, say the lower end 1911's "may need" some fitting, for that part, so what better gun to "experiment" on...??

well, i took the Glock G-17 and the G-21 to the range this morning, to test out the installed parts.

i gotta say, i was indeed impressed with the results, compared to previous range times, with those 2 Glocks.

trigger pull was much lighter, take up to the wall was better, faster resets.

i don't have any "before older pics" of targets, so a comparison cannot be seen from then, to today's visit.

but i have seen the improvement. the RSO saw the targets today, and recalled past shootings.

Back