testtest

Well thats the shortest time i owned a gun

Sld1959

Hellcat
Well its not exactly gone, just "borrowed" by a nephew to see if he likes cowboy action shooting.

So today I got a nice deal on an older Marlin 357 carbine, which is one of the longarms I have been looking at.

My nephew stopped over after I got home and he ended up going home with it.

What a sucker I am since his dad, my best friend, died.

Oh well I will get it back or the price I paid, he is an honest kid.

Mine are still in grade school, so "borrowed" items don't leave the house, but my oldest feels the same way as your nephew about leverguns. My kids were raised around my guns, and I always assumed that they would be drawn to my semi-auto rifles. My oldest is always willing to shoot AR's with me, but he gets excited about my Marlin and Henry lever-actions.

As much as I disagree with many things public schools are doing, I have to admit that the engineering classes they offer are significantly better than anything that was available to me at that age. I was surprised to learn that my son and his friends are actually interested in the physics and mechanics of all kinds of traditional (i.e. tech-free) machines. Sounds like your nephew may feel the same way. There just might be hope for this generation after all.

I had a similar experience involving a Remington 1100 12 guage and a grandson a few years ago. My son in AK had rebuilt the shotgun for me and added a short barrel for me to use in teaching riot gun at the police academy. My grandson was a skeet shooter and took 1st and seconds in the Anchorage league.
I got a call from him asking if he could borrow my shotgun. I asked him which one and he said the one his dad rebuilt for me
Of course I said yes. Wife asked how long he was borrowing it. I told her I figured forever. Been six years and still have never seen that shotgun. 😉

Before one of my overseas tours I lent a buddy (fellow duck hunter) my double barrel 10 gauge goose gun, a Winchester with interchangeable barrels and a 16 gauge that was too become a family heirloom to use and care for them in my absence. I got back and found out over a year earlier he had passed away. I contacted his family about my guns and found that they sold all of HIS belongings along with MY guns which they assumed where his. Long story short, I got a couple of names so that I could attempt to buy back my own guns and one had no idea what I was talking about the other was "I think I sold the goose gun to Joe Schmoe and traded the other 2 to his brother for an old pick-up". Obviously, Those leads went no where. Along with the 12 gauge auto that I lent to a buddy to deer hunt the Southern Tier in upstate NY (which is shotgun only), they stopped at a truck stop at O'dark 30 for breakfast and came out to find their truck had been broken into and both of their guns were part of the loot. I no longer lend firearms.

Before one of my overseas tours I lent a buddy (fellow duck hunter) my double barrel 10 gauge goose gun, a Winchester with interchangeable barrels and a 16 gauge that was too become a family heirloom to use and care for them in my absence. I got back and found out over a year earlier he had passed away. I contacted his family about my guns and found that they sold all of HIS belongings along with MY guns which they assumed where his. Long story short, I got a couple of names so that I could attempt to buy back my own guns and one had no idea what I was talking about the other was "I think I sold the goose gun to Joe Schmoe and traded the other 2 to his brother for an old pick-up". Obviously, Those leads went no where. Along with the 12 gauge auto that I lent to a buddy to deer hunt the Southern Tier in upstate NY (which is shotgun only), they stopped at a truck stop at O'dark 30 for breakfast and came out to find their truck had been broken into and both of their guns were part of the loot. I no longer lend firearms.
That bites, but this is a bit different situation. Eventually, they will get them anyways, or most of them as I have no sons and only one son in law.

Last edited:
I never loan anything to anyone that I am not prepared to give away. Period.

Back