testtest

What Does Tactical Actually Mean?

I think the SAA along with an 1873 carbine was real tactical "in the day." Metallic cartridges pushed firearm design way forward in the latter half of the 19th century. Firearms today are more advanced than those black powder guns. The word tactical is overused to the point of meaninglessness.

Depends on your point of view

Attachments

• image (13).png
    image (13).png
    344 KB · Views: 62
  • FB_IMG_1699523397571.jpg
    FB_IMG_1699523397571.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 48
Tactical means I have a good excuse to build a zombie-killer, lever gun. My wife, who is more concerned about the zombie apocalypse than who wins the next election, actually gave the thumbs up when she saw my Henry Bad Boy X!

The article seemed a bit off as it pertains to Tactical, I thought anyway... I thought it was going to define their opinion of what Tactical was, then it sort of tapered off talking about other things.

Just my opinion, but Tactical is in your head, it is a state of being. I like the phrase "where strategy meets mindfulness." I feel like things like guns, knives, how and where to CC, Awareness etc, are all sub-categories of a Tactical mindset.

Obviously there are physical aspects to being 'Tactical', with training probably the largest and most important.

I think the SAA along with an 1873 carbine was real tactical "in the day." Metallic cartridges pushed firearm design way forward in the latter half of the 19th century. Firearms today are more advanced than those black powder guns. The word tactical is overused to the point of meaninglessness.
This. Calling anything “tactical” means you can charge twice what it’s worth and the “kewl kids” re going to be lined up saying “Take my money”🙄. Today you can buy tactical socks, skivvies, etc. Really? THAT is going to make you “tough”😳? You’d be far better off buying non tactical stuff and using the $$ saved to buy ammo and actually Practice🙄

The article seemed a bit off as it pertains to Tactical, I thought anyway... I thought it was going to define their opinion of what Tactical was, then it sort of tapered off talking about other things.

Just my opinion, but Tactical is in your head, it is a state of being. I like the phrase "where strategy meets mindfulness." I feel like things like guns, knives, how and where to CC, Awareness etc, are all sub-categories of a Tactical mindset.

Obviously there are physical aspects to being 'Tactical', with training probably the largest and most important.
The clinical definition of “ Tactical” differs wildly from the commercial definition. I think the author tried to allude to this point but it came off as an advertisement for SA 1911s, which undermined his effort in my opinion.

This. Calling anything “tactical” means you can charge twice what it’s worth and the “kewl kids” re going to be lined up saying “Take my money”🙄. Today you can buy tactical socks, skivvies, etc. Really? THAT is going to make you “tough”😳? You’d be far better off buying non tactical stuff and using the $$ saved to buy ammo and actually Practice🙄
Agree. The word "tactical" is abused to the max to, as you say, sell stuff to be cool. One example was TV commercials advertising tactical sunglasses for $19.99 claiming these were used by the military especially spec ops types. The unknowing would by this mall kiosk type glasses not realizing the real deal would probably run $180 to $200 retail. I guess the purveyors of this product were looking for high numbers of the gullible. Latest example: YouTube has ads for a "tactical" mosquito killer. Kills thousands! I may be out of the loop, but I have never seen a single device to zap thousands of mosquitos. Here is the actual system which is procedural and chemical repellent driven:

False advertising is alive and well and does not hesitate to use "tactical" for everything under the sun.

In this age of the internet (which I appreciate), I have observed a lot of folks who seem to believe “If I just had that gun, I would be as good as John Wick.” And this thought process seems to apply to about everything, including sun glasses, pants, etc. I think the marketing people have been very successful!

When I was in the Army the answer to that question for the NCO board was.

Strategy is your overall long-term goals. Tactics are the individual steps you take to achieve those goals.

In the real world, tactical means they're going to paint it OD green or Black and charge you twice what it really cost for it.

ETA
After reading the article, I guess I can get on board with his definition of "Tactical".

If I understood what I read tactical means it's going to be easier for me to fight with this gun or this gun's going to make it easier for me to fight if I have to.

I have to say I think that's a valid definition. I'm not sure if a Springfield TRP is that gun for me but I can agree with the Author's overall points.

Last edited:
Back