testtest

What Does the Forward Assist Do?

The problem with the early M16 was that some geniuses at the Pentagon decided to change the powder in 5.56 rounds from stick powder to ball powder, which caused much more fouling. Coupled with the fact that early M16's were placed in service with no cleaning supplies and gear, there were many stoppages in the jungle. I ran many classes and shot a lot of ammo through AR's, and never needed a forward assist to clear a stoppage. A properly maintained and lubed AR with good ammo will run all day. I also think piston driven AR's were the best improvement to come along in years-those guns run clean.

The problem with the early M16 was that some geniuses at the Pentagon decided to change the powder in 5.56 rounds from stick powder to ball powder, which caused much more fouling. Coupled with the fact that early M16's were placed in service with no cleaning supplies and gear, there were many stoppages in the jungle. I ran many classes and shot a lot of ammo through AR's, and never needed a forward assist to clear a stoppage. A properly maintained and lubed AR with good ammo will run all day. I also think piston driven AR's were the best improvement to come along in years-those guns run clean.
Also, chrome lined M16 barrels were implemented in 1965.

now i know or at least understand..
i don't use mine on the ar 10 as it always bothered me as to its real function

This is how it was explained to me many years ago. The explanation of the forward assist's role is a response to the question: "If the bolt carrier on my rifle doesn't close on a round during a fire fight what the devil do I do quickly to solve this issue?" The chrome lined barrel and chamber was intended to alleviate this situation: If your rifle's bolt fails to extact a fired casing or attempts to load another live round on said fired casing during an intense episode of close quarter combat you're probably screwed. The explanation seems simple to me! :)

This is how it was explained to me many years ago. The explanation of the forward assist's role is a response to the question: "If the bolt carrier on my rifle doesn't close on a round during a fire fight what the devil do I do quickly to solve this issue?" The chrome lined barrel and chamber was intended to alleviate this situation: If your rifle's bolt fails to extact a fired casing or attempts to load another live round on said fired casing during an intense episode of close quarter combat you're probably screwed. The explanation seems simple to me! :)
thanks
the only close quarter i do with the ar 10 is little wild piggies and i stay elevated as to reduce said pig getting to close and saying HOWDY

i pressed the button a few times when i first got it and it seemed ABRUPT and harsh to close the breach.
so now i know the real deal.
thank you

I know one thing they are good for. Making you spew potty words when it breaks and is stuck into the notches on the bolt preventing you from getting the bolt out.

Had a few brake in agency training guns over the year from years of folks trying to be cool and tapping it WAY too hard!

Sums it up

Attachments

• B1i3u9-Q-KS._AC_CLa_2140,2000_B1lh2vnfmkL.png_0,0,2140,2000+0.0,0.0,2140.0,2000.0_UY1000_.jpg
    B1i3u9-Q-KS._AC_CLa_2140,2000_B1lh2vnfmkL.png_0,0,2140,2000+0.0,0.0,2140.0,2000.0_UY1000_.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 76
Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “What Does the Forward Assist Do?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/what-does-the-forward-assist-do/.

Good article for sure. Only the Pentagon can screw up walking and chewing gum at the same time. I concur, the function is definitely not necessary no less needed. Only way the BCG isn't closing is either there's debris fouling it or a different jam of some type that pushing the BCG closed won't happen anyway.

I use the forward assist regularly. One of the places we hunt pigs we pull in as quietly as possible, we're already surrounded by thick vegetation, get out and close doors softly, gear up silently, and creep into the thicket. The last thing we need is for me to slam home the BCG and echo throughout the woods. So I ease the BCG forward with CH slowly and most of the time it won't close completely so I help it with a push or two of the forward assist. Silence is deadly.

Last edited:
Uncle worked at COLT as a Manufacturing Engineer when they started building the M-16 (1960's). Switch to Ball Powder caused the cycle rate to jump from ~600 rpm to almost 1050 rpm. Design was originally "tuned" to the ~600 rpm rate with stick powder. The main issue was the Calcium Carbonate that was added to reduce the muzzle flash caused by the switch to ball powder. Testing done in the States didn't reveal the problem of Calcium Carbonate reacting with moisture to "gum up" the works. Military was told that - a.) M-16 rifles didn't need cleaning, and b.) Stoner didn't Chrome the barrels because he actually designed the 7.62 x 51 AR-10 and just scaled it down to the 5.56 round. (Wonder if the M-16 Clean Kits COLT shipped with those early M-16 are still stuck in some Army warehouse.) Keep the Calcium salts that form from the burning gases coming back into the receiver cleaned out, and the Forward Assist wouldn't be necessary. OR - Use powders that don't have any Cacium Carbonate in them.

AR-15/M-16 has a slightly oversized chamber versus the 223 SAAMI standard. A "standard" 223 spec chamber. even using a "MIL" spec 5.56 cartridge, should function without the need for a forward assist. BUT, when the Military added Calcium Carbonate to reduce muzzle flash, between the residual powder residue and the Calcium salt formed, the forward assist became a necessity. In a firefight, one can't stop to clean and lube your rifle. Me - I have been at the range when an AR-15 shooter, using commercial/factory ammo, got so much powder residue build-up that his rifle stopped working. P.S. - YES, the 5.56 MIL spec ammo is loaded to a higher-pressure level than commercial 223, so it is best to NOT actually shoot MIL spec 5.56 in a SAAMI 223 chamber firearm, even thou the 5.56 cartridge will cycle easily.

Back