testtest

What gun is this?

Here's another marking on the muzzle - camera REEEEEEALLY didn't like focusing in on this one, but I somehow got it.
Untitled.png

If you want to confirm it's a 30-06 take to to a gunsmith. The barrel diameter can be measured & maybe someone can do a chamber-cast to absolutely confirm. Better be safe than sorry in case someone rechambered it to a .30 cal magnum

.30x416AI...

Yea the orginal mil barrel was likely slight shortened but cutting abit off the front,

Dont't know what 38 would mean. Deciphering ordnance stamps is a whole hobby in itself.

I'm more of a 1903 Springfield aficionado when it come to older US mil bolt guns but know alittle about 1917 Enfields.

I'm more of a 1903 Springfield aficionado when it come to older US mil bolt guns but know alittle about 1917 Enfields.
Minor update - I did discover another marking that was actually on the underside of the bolt. It's stamped with a large 'W', which would, according to my search, confirm it as a Winchester, not a Remington.

Minor update - I did discover another marking that was actually on the underside of the bolt. It's stamped with a large 'W', which would, according to my search, confirm it as a Winchester, not a Remington.

Parts were often interchanged when rifles went into arsenals for refurbishment. That occurred on almost all US rifles from post WW1 through the 1950's.

So the receiver is Remington but the bolt is Winchester. Also, various parts, including barrels were made by other manufacturers.

In recent years with CMP M1 garands being sold some folks hunt down the same manufax=cturers and replace parts to make them as "correct", aka, the same manufacturer parts as possible when I went out the door when originally made.

Hunting down & getting the even-smallest "correct" parts to make a "correct" M1 Garand can be quite the effort & cost.

Last edited:
Parts were often interchanged when rifles went into arsenals for refurbishment. That occurred on almost all US rifles from post WW1 through the 1950's.

So the receiver is Remington but the bolt is Winchester. Also, various parts, including barrels were made by other manufacturers.

In recent years with CMP M1 garands being sold some folks hunt down the same manufax=cturers and replace parts to make them as "correct", aka, the same manufacturer parts as possible when I went out the door when originally made.

Hunting down & getting the even-smallest "correct" parts to make a "correct" M1 Garand can be quite the effort & cost.
Neat. The M1 Garand is definitely on my 'to buy' list at some point. I've been in love with that gun since I was a kid - who can blame me? It's the poster child for WWII in videogaming. It's that charming, famous 'ping' though that does it - I absolutely love that noise.

Whatever the outcome I believe you owe your dad a serious steak dinner. Good luck getting to the bottom of the mystery and let us know the end result.

Enfields that is.
The M1917 was a additional design the US started making in WW1 when there weren't enough Springfields to go around...I seem to recall reading that more M1917’s were used in combat than ‘03’s, but I’ve never confirmed that. I believe the M1917 was easier to manufacture than the 03.

Also...despite what Hollywood would have is believe, it's possible Sgt. Alvin York actually used a M1917; I believe he was issued one, as I recall reading something where he said he didn’t care for the peep sight on it, much preferred the leaf sight on the Springfield they used in training...

To really throw a monkey into the wrench, there ARE U.S. manufactured .303 Enfields; No4Mk1* made by Savage-Stevens.

(on that note...Remington made Moisin-Nagants 91’s for the Czar, too...but they never got delivered. You see them every now and again at gun shows...).

The M1917 was a additional design the US started making in WW1 when there weren't enough Springfields to go around...I seem to recall reading that more M1917’s were used in combat than ‘03’s, but I’ve never confirmed that. I believe the M1917 was easier to manufacture than the 03.

Also...despite what Hollywood would have is believe, it's possible Sgt. Alvin York actually used a M1917; I believe he was issued one, as I recall reading something where he said he didn’t care for the peep sight on it, much preferred the leaf sight on the Springfield they used in training...

To really throw a monkey into the wrench, there ARE U.S. manufactured .303 Enfields; No4Mk1* made by Savage-Stevens.

(on that note...Remington made Moisin-Nagants 91’s for the Czar, too...but they never got delivered. You see them every now and again at gun shows...).

I read a little about the Springfields and their replacements in WWI, but I was really trying to get to a different point in history and didn't research it very fully. I never got that they were Enfields.

So when I bought that .308 Enfield, my buddy had bought a bunch of .308s and .303s for like $75 a piece or something. All with wooden stocks. He put synthetic stocks on them and bedded the barrels and all that and then sold them for a couple hundred. I never paid any attention at the time and just assumed they were all British. So do you think that .308 Enfield I had was British or American ?

I read a little about the Springfields and their replacements in WWI, but I was really trying to get to a different point in history and didn't research it very fully. I never got that they were Enfields.

So when I bought that .308 Enfield, my buddy had bought a bunch of .308s and .303s for like $75 a piece or something. All with wooden stocks. He put synthetic stocks on them and bedded the barrels and all that and then sold them for a couple hundred. I never paid any attention at the time and just assumed they were all British. So do you think that .308 Enfield I had was British or American ?

If it was originally a .308?

Probably Indian—an Ishapore 2A.

I haven't been in the gun know to answer the question of what gun it is. But my eyes tell's me it's a beautiful rifle for sure.(y)(y):cool:

Back