testtest

What Is .223 Wylde?

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “What Is .223 Wylde?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/what-is-223-wylde/.

I looked into this when I purchased my first AR. The Ruger AR-556 (Sorry, Springfield) allowed both .223 and 5.56 to be run reliably. The "boutique" loadout of .223 Wilde wasn't really a thing yet - at least on my reading list - but I can absolutely appreciate the engineering that went into its development.

Good article, but I have to admit I skimmed a lot of it :sleep::sleep::sleep:

I have yet to shoot actual .223, much less match grade .223 through mine, but it is very accurate with the M193. I really can't say if it's more accurate than the .556 with that ammo since the .223 is a scoped rifle and my 5.56s all have red dots. I want to give it a go with some 75-78 gr. Sierra King .223.

Great article and very informative. You mentioned the .222 Magnum. I have a friend who has one and it's becoming very difficult to find ammunition. Can you comment on the .223 Wylde in relation to the .222 Magnum?
The .222 Remington Magnum was initially offered as a benchrest round to offer enhanced 200-yard accuracy over the .222 Remington. The military grabbed the cartridge for testing. This led to development of the .223 Remington.

The .222 Magnum is 2mm longer than the .223. Even if it goes in, the shoulders and overall cartridge length would be different, meaning the end of the cartridge may not allow the action to close, or may go so far in the firing pin won’t make contact. If it fires, the extractor may not engage the rim meaning the case is now stuck in the chamber.

IMO the two cartridges are not interchangeable as they are. BUT you could make .222 magnum cases from .223 brass. That would require resizing .223 in a .222 magnum full-length sizing die. That process "may" lengthen the resized brass. Check OAL length and may need to trim the resized brass to .222 magnum length. Make sure you use lube during resizing process.

Back