testtest

What is the Best Bullpup? AUG vs. Tavor vs. Hellion

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
In this episode of TFBTV, James Reeves compares three of the most popular bullpup rifles on the market today: the Austrian Steyr AUG, the Israeli IWI Tavor X95, and the Croatian HS Produkt VHS-2 (aka the Springfield Hellion). Which of these guns is the best bullpup?

I have 20" barrels on my AUGs for the increased performance for my AOPs.

I went through this decision process earlier this year. My head told me to go with the Tavor. Handled all 3 in a local gun shop.................................................................................................................................................................

My inner voice pushed me to go with the Aug. No regrets.
(I guess I wanted to get my Nakatomi Plaza on.)

1695355328428.png

Helion, definitely Helion. Closest thing to what a modern infantry FAMAS would be, and with this adjustable gas block, it's simply awesome

F6Y8iojXwAAbtOq.jpg

I wouldn't say the FAMAS is a good role model for a bullpup.
Worked for us grunts as well as it could in many ops under many shitty conditions, 30+ years later some are still seeing action. I miss the integrated bipod for sure (and trust me I have tried to recreate it but it won't fit the handle), loved the charging handle hook, and the fire select 1/3/full. BUT, Helion is da shizznit for sure.

When its all you have doesnt mean its good.
Well, you've got to tell yourself it's good, your feet don't hurt, your back doesn't hurt, nothing hurts everything is fine. The you get to like it, malfunctions are a feature, razor sharp mag lips are there to remind you to wear gloves, ... :D

Not sure how the civilian one ran, but the mil one was not that bad. We're 30+ years later with the Helion, and people are still complaining about the trigger!

While this thread is being polluted with FAMAS talk, the facts are the FAMAS has been replaced by....drum role... the HK416F, and AR15-look-alike, so the Frenchies finally saw the light 12 yrs ago with the HK delivery starting 6 yrs ago.

But they've sent the FAMAS's to their National Guard, for 4 more years.

But, if one prefers a FAMAS that's their right.

Last edited:
While this thread is being polluted with FAMAS talk, the facts are the FAMAS has been replaced by....drum role... the HK416F, and AR15-look-alike, so the Frenchies finally saw the light 12 yrs ago with the HK delivery starting 6 yrs ago.

But they've sent the FAMAS's to their National Guard, for 4 more years.

But, if one prefers a FAMAS that's their right.
Polluted? Dude, no, the proper term is AUGMENTED :D No idea why they didn't select the VHS bullpup to be honest, they even had complete compatibility with the existing FAMAS rifles! Corruption and other EU BS is what comes to mind right away, there was no reason for throwing everything out the window. VHS was the clear, logical upgrade.

Look at this beauty, so ahead of its time, successfully deployed in so many theater of operations around the globe.
All I'm saying is "I LOVE THE HELION BECAUSE IT'S SO CLOSE IN SHAPE TO THE FAMAS I CARRIED BUT WITH A COMPLETELY MODERN DESIGN"

1695771209450.png

Since we're talking FAMAS apparently, and it's pretty customary to somehow derail discussion: who on this forum has ever shot a FAMAS?

How about starting a FAMAS vs. Hellion. vs. SA80 thread?

I imagine there's enough info out there for one.

How about starting a FAMS vs. Hellion. vs. Tavor thread?

I imagine there's enough info out there for one.
Nah, it's more fun to derail the original thread :D
Seriously though, I think it's more interesting to compare the ones available now, FAMAS is a thing of the past, nostalgia is all what my posts were all about. I'd like to see a comparison of the 3 versions of the Helion, that would be cool!

I bought a Hellion this year. I enjoy it as a range toy. But man the trigger SUCKS (yes, I know all bullpup triggers suck). Of course I knew that going in...Doesn't help that I can't remove the trigger pack without tools and possibly breaking the frame...will have to get it to a gunsmith once it gets dirty enough...but it looks mean as all get-out. Mine also has trouble cycling .223rem cartridges. 5.56 no problem...Also not a fan of optic height-over-bore on this one. But it looks good!

I bought a Hellion this year. I enjoy it as a range toy. But man the trigger SUCKS (yes, I know all bullpup triggers suck). Of course I knew that going in...Doesn't help that I can't remove the trigger pack without tools and possibly breaking the frame...will have to get it to a gunsmith once it gets dirty enough...but it looks mean as all get-out. Mine also has trouble cycling .223rem cartridges. 5.56 no problem...Also not a fan of optic height-over-bore on this one. But it looks good!
Weird on the .223 vs 5.56, mine cycles it all, including Tula ammo... Only time I had issues was with frangible Norma 5.56, but that was the bullet breaking in the rifle. Do you have the gas block setting on N (as opposed to S)?

Back