testtest

What is the Best Home Defense Shotgun?

For pumps? I prefer the Mossberg 500/590’s tang safety and open loading gate...before even factoring in Remington’s ongoing quality issues over the past several years.

Auto? Benelli. M1S90 or M4, hands down.

Guys, I got to tell you, if I was in the market for a home defense shotgun............ hands down it would be a KelTek KS7 or the bigger brother, the KSG. At 7 and 13 rounds respectively of whatever you put in it, either one is formidable.

The KS7 is a better looking gun of the two, but obviously that ain't the main criteria for a home defense firearm. So, either one would work well and either would be my choice of a home defense gun.

And even though I agree with the author, a load of even #6's or #7 1/2's would do the job without question, my preference of loads would likely be single ought buck shot. At least the first 2 or 3 rounds. If I hadn't been able to stop any threat by then, I'd probably have the next 3 or 4 loaded with #4's.

Not a thing wrong with any gun suggestion here in this thread or the original article, but these two from Kel Tek would be for me.

I got both Remigton 870 & Mossberg 590. The Rem. 870 Tactical is heavily modified, Moss. 590 Mariner left alone, The Rem. Tac14DM and Moss. 590M Shockwave (both with Crimson trace green laser side saddle) are the other 2.
I don't have a Semi Auto Benelli, but do own a Stoeger M3500 Semi Auto (works great for Sporting Clays). Hey, they're in the same family, all under the Beretta Holding's umbrella. ;) :)

I got no love for an 870. I much prefer a 500.

Best is highly subjective and personal. I think most shotgun guys would say something like the Benelli M4. I think they're ok, but I don't go for them the way a lot of shotgun guys do. I had one for a little while, but couldn't really bond with it.

I like my KSG25. It's not one I keep next to my bed though. Inside the house it serves a specific purpose and a specific location.

I'll give a range report on my next SD shotgun when I get it, which will either be the IWI Tavor or the SRM 1216.

I'm kinda partial to my Mossberg 500!
IMG_1143.JPG

Maneuverability is one of my concerns, so my home-defense shotgun is an 870 Express Home Defense in 20 gauge. I put a youth stock on it, which lowers the LOP from 14" to 12" and makes for a very light and compact package with the 18.5" barrel. This is an excellent and affordable setup, and I was sorry to see Remington discontinue their 20 gauge security models. The 20 gauge is easier for my wife to handle, and 6 + 1 rounds of #4 Buck should be more than sufficient to deter unwanted visitors. My Mossberg 590A1 Retrograde is still my favorite shotgun, but its just a little too large/heavy to be my go-to in a home defense situation, and my wife doesn't shoot it as well as the 20 gauge. In the unfortunate event that the gun is ever actually used, it wouldn't break my heart to have the Remington sit in an evidence locker for a few years, but I would really miss the Mossberg.

Remington Home Defense 20 GA.jpg

Maneuverability is one of my concerns, so my home-defense shotgun is an 870 Express Home Defense in 20 gauge. I put a youth stock on it, which lowers the LOP from 14" to 12" and makes for a very light and compact package with the 18.5" barrel. This is an excellent and affordable setup, and I was sorry to see Remington discontinue their 20 gauge security models. The 20 gauge is easier for my wife to handle, and 6 + 1 rounds of #4 Buck should be more than sufficient to deter unwanted visitors. My Mossberg 590A1 Retrograde is still my favorite shotgun, but its just a little too large/heavy to be my go-to in a home defense situation, and my wife doesn't shoot it as well as the 20 gauge. In the unfortunate event that the gun is ever actually used, it wouldn't break my heart to have the Remington sit in an evidence locker for a few years, but I would really miss the Mossberg.

View attachment 10272

I did the same with my 18.5" 590A1, and I got rid of my older 20" 590A1 for the same reasons. I put a mag extension on the 18.5 which got me close to the capacity of the 20".

Back