testtest

What is the best Home Defense Weapon?

KLGunner

Staff member
What is the best home defense weapon? We’ve all heard it told that the oh so scary AR15 is the best home defense pistol. What constitutes it to be the best? What is actually the best home defense weapon an AR15, a Shotgun or a Pistol?

However, I personally think most people would be best served to defend their homes with what they are comfortable with. Some people don't like shotgun's due to the recoil. So a pistol would be a better option since that would be what they are trained with.

Not being humorous but logically it’s what you feel most comfortable with, train with and trust! Too much emphasis is placed on internet babble and what the numbers say as explain by some internet gun guru whose fired 10k rounds through his WOMD and trained millions of soldiers all over the world and been in countless black ops missions, blah blah blah ... moral of the story is get the most gun you can afford while at the same time getting as many rounds down range with said gun to gain the proficiency you need should you ever have to defend yourself or loved ones.

I feel the AR pistol in .300blk with
subsonic 220grain rounds is a pretty adequate weapon for home defense because of the ability to have two hands fully engaging the weapon and the small stature of the gun to better maneuver though hallways and rooms. The subsonic 220 grain bullet may help limit over penetration which should be a concern for anyone with other occupants in the house or neighbors that live in close proximity.

Also 30 rounds of ouch for the bad guys!

What is the best home defense weapon? We’ve all heard it told that the oh so scary AR15 is the best home defense pistol. What constitutes it to be the best? What is actually the best home defense weapon an AR15, a Shotgun or a Pistol?
I've always believed a good deterrent to be the best weapon...a dog and an advertised alarm system. However, if Mr. Crazy just will not be deterred, I'll be grabbing a 12 gauge. The sound of a 12 gauge being fired in an enclosed space might just change Mr. Crazy's mind.

Not being humorous but logically it’s what you feel most comfortable with, train with and trust! Too much emphasis is placed on internet babble and what the numbers say as explain by some internet gun guru whose fired 10k rounds through his WOMD and trained millions of soldiers all over the world and been in countless black ops missions, blah blah blah ... moral of the story is get the most gun you can afford while at the same time getting as many rounds down range with said gun to gain the proficiency you need should you ever have to defend yourself or loved ones.
Okay so let’s say you have zero guns but have just enough money to buy one gun to defend your home. What gun are you buying and why?

It's not a bad idea to not only practice with your home defense weapon at the range but to also practice clearing inside your house including all rooms and angles with whatever weapon you are contemplating using. You will get a much better idea for what works and what can be a hindrance. An example: I tried was using my tactical 12 gauge and finding out that coming around corners and entering rooms really put me at a disadvantage with using a long gun (18in barrel) where I could not just turn a corner and cover all angles without exposing myself.

Try it and see what I mean.

I feel the AR pistol in .300blk with
subsonic 220grain rounds is a pretty adequate weapon for home defense because of the ability to have two hands fully engaging the weapon and the small stature of the gun to better maneuver though hallways and rooms. The subsonic 220 grain bullet may help limit over penetration which should be a concern for anyone with other occupants in the house or neighbors that live in close proximity.

Also 30 rounds of ouch for the bad guys!
So what are some Pro’s vs Con’s about the AR pistol in .300blk?

I've always believed a good deterrent to be the best weapon...a dog and an advertised alarm system. However, if Mr. Crazy just will not be deterred, I'll be grabbing a 12 gauge. The sound of a 12 gauge being fired in an enclosed space might just change Mr. Crazy's mind.
So are you firing into a wall, roof or some object in the home? Or are you firing at the intruder in your home who possibility has a firearm as well?

It's not a bad idea to not only practice with your home defense weapon at the range but to also practice clearing inside your house including all rooms and angles with whatever weapon you are contemplating using. You will get a much better idea for what works and what can be a hindrance. An example: I tried was using my tactical 12 gauge and finding out that coming around corners and entering rooms really put me at a disadvantage with using a long gun (18in barrel) where I could not just turn a corner and cover all angles without exposing myself.

Try it and see what I mean.
Good response it’s things like this that everyone needs to be considering when choosing a good home defense weapon. Yes some go for the sound of cycling a round into a shotgun barrel to detour the intruder others go for the fact that a shotgun has a very wide track pattern which is where it got its name the “Scatter Gun”. But things like barrel length and over penetration like one might get from a rifle aren’t considered.

Use what works for you, there are so many choices! And all are good if it fits your living conditions. However, I like frangible ammo in a pistol or rifle, our internal walls are two pieces of Sheetrock thick and we should think about a shoothrough on a person or a miss, what about the baby in the crib behind that wall, or shooting through the outside wall of your home and possibly into your neighbors home. The other great idea is a suppressor, have you ever fired a pistol inside a home? Or worse an AR-15? Remember that feeling your ears had after that rock concert? Gunfire is way worse! And if you can avoid it do not fire a pistol inside a car without at least getting the muzzle out the open window! Can you spell tinitis? Apparently I can’t. Frangible ammo, suppressors on whatever you like.

Good response it’s things like this that everyone needs to be considering when choosing a good home defense weapon. Yes some go for the sound of cycling a round into a shotgun barrel to detour the intruder others go for the fact that a shotgun has a very wide track pattern which is where it got its name the “Scatter Gun”. But things like barrel length and over penetration like one might get from a rifle aren’t considered.
This is a great topic!

So are you firing into a wall, roof or some object in the home? Or are you firing at the intruder in your home who possibility has a firearm as well?
I remember a bit of a personal epiphany the first time I had the opportunity to fire a full auto AK-47. The sound was incredibly intimidating. Going along with my deterrent first mentality, the more you can do to intimidate an intruder, sending them running before the worst happens, the better. To your point, there are no warning shots when an intruder enters your home. That said, maybe you connect on your first shot and maybe you don't. Regardless, if you start firing something as "robust" (thank you John Wick) as a 12 gauge in that situation, the intruder is going to know they've made a big mistake.

Use what works for you, there are so many choices! And all are good if it fits your living conditions. However, I like frangible ammo in a pistol or rifle, our internal walls are two pieces of Sheetrock thick and we should think about a shoothrough on a person or a miss, what about the baby in the crib behind that wall, or shooting through the outside wall of your home and possibly into your neighbors home. The other great idea is a suppressor, have you ever fired a pistol inside a home? Or worse an AR-15? Remember that feeling your ears had after that rock concert? Gunfire is way worse! And if you can avoid it do not fire a pistol inside a car without at least getting the muzzle out the open window! Can you spell tinitis? Apparently I can’t. Frangible ammo, suppressors on whatever you like.
Okay so what gun would you choose?

I remember a bit of a personal epiphany the first time I had the opportunity to fire a full auto AK-47. The sound was incredibly intimidating. Going along with my deterrent first mentality, the more you can do to intimidate an intruder, sending them running before the worst happens, the better. To your point, there's no warning shots when an intruder enters your home. That said, maybe you connect on your first shot and maybe you don't. Regardless, if you start firing something as "robust" (thank you John Wick) as a 12 gauge in that situation, the intruder is going to know they've made a big mistake.
Oh absolutely but then the topic of if he survived your shot now he can and most likely will sue you. Provided he survived your shot that is.

I own my house and don't have neighbors close enough for me to be overly worried about my stray bullet if I stick with a pistol. I did and have thought the target and beyond training and even did some testing with my ammo to see the penetration. The bullets would have to go through 4-6 walls and travel just over 575 yards and a couple maple trees to my nearest neighbor. I've thought about this maybe a little to much. I want my 45 acp to start with. Bedside gun. I then have access to my 9mm and a 44 mag. 44 mag is if I do have to shoot through a couple of walls. 9mm is my high capacity magazine so I don't have to do mag changes. All bullets are hollow points. I do think every situation is different and calls for different weapons.

Back