testtest

What Is The Effective Range Of 7.62x39?

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
When does the 7.62x39 lose its lethality?

What is the Effective Range of the 7.62x39?

1661132673105.png

I think the more limiting factor of 7.62x39 is platform accuracy.

Fact is, the AK is not an incredibly precise platform (nor was it designed to be). It’s a rare example which can print tighter than 3-4” at 100yds with normal steel case ammo. Realistically, that opens up to 12”+ at 300 yards, and that’s the practical limit where you can likely get a hit.

I think the more limiting factor of 7.62x39 is platform accuracy.

Fact is, the AK is not an incredibly precise platform (nor was it designed to be). It’s a rare example which can print tighter than 3-4” at 100yds with normal steel case ammo. Realistically, that opens up to 12”+ at 300 yards, and that’s the practical limit where you can likely get a hit.
Agreed!

There are some bolt guns out there that can get 100yd sub MOA with the 7.62x39 round. A few AK brands are capable of at least MOA at 100yds also but the majority AK's that have been available for years are scrapped together Century imported parts rifles leading to tons of platform inaccuracy myths.

Agreed!

There are some bolt guns out there that can get 100yd sub MOA with the 7.62x39 round. A few AK brands are capable of at least MOA at 100yds also but the majority AK's that have been available for years are scrapped together Century imported parts rifles leading to tons of platform inaccuracy myths.
My Hungarian SA85M–considered one of the higher quality AK copies out there—can do just under 2” with brass-cased x39; feed it steel, and it’s right up to 3”.

And yes, there are folks who swear that their specially blessed, baptized in the urine of St Mikhail himself, super AK can be sub-MOA…I’ve never seen one do it in person.

My Hungarian SA85M–considered one of the higher quality AK copies out there—can do just under 2” with brass-cased x39; feed it steel, and it’s right up to 3”.

And yes, there are folks who swear that their specially blessed, baptized in the urine of St Mikhail himself, super AK can be sub-MOA…I’ve never seen one do it in person.
I didn't say sub moa AK I said sub moa bolt gun in 7.62x39

The Arsenal AK's have a reputation of being superior to most AKs on the market with verified videos proving 1 moa

Last edited:
I’ve got friends with Arsenals…never seen one print under 2”-in 7.62.

The 5.45 and 5.56 models? They can do better, usually.

Here's a video for reference if you're interested. You'll need to click the link in the video box because of some stupid YouTube thing preventing the video posting here.

I haven't achieved 1-moa with my AK either though I haven't tried. I mostly use my AK as a gallon of water smasher.

I didn't say sub moa AK I said sub moa bolt gun in 7.62x39

The Arsenal AK's have a reputation of being superior to most AKs on the market with verified videos proving 1 moa
Arsenal's are overrated. I had one & was very disappointed.

Crappy paint finished that peeled off using reg gun cleaning chemicals, (they should have used Cerakote), canted front sight & over-gassed. I didn't see any accuracy difference compared to my WASRs.

I got rid of the Arsenal easily due to their undeserved rep.

The Polish WBP AKs are far superior.

You can squeeze some accuracy out of AKs using better quality ammo.

AK's were meant to fire regardless of mud, sand and such not tack driving abilities. That being said A buddy of mine back in the mid-90s bought a couple of ak's that were Bulgarian made. They were far superior from anything I seen come from Russia or any other com-block country over there. It's been a decade or so since I last held them, I want to say they were a forged reciever and not stamped sheet metal, once again please do not hold me to that. I know they shot very good and not the typical wide disbursement of a normal AK.

Arsenal's are overrated. I had one & was very disappointed.

Crappy paint finished that peeled off using reg gun cleaning chemicals, (they should have used Cerakote), canted front sight & over-gassed. I didn't see any accuracy difference compared to my WASRs.

I got rid of the Arsenal easily due to their undeserved rep.

The Polish WBP AKs are far superior.

You can squeeze some accuracy out of AKs using better quality ammo.
Yeah, when it comes to 7.62x39 AK imports are almost always superior. Romanian AKs are pretty good in my experience. Polish I've only shot once but it felt really nice. And yeah, you can squeeze some extra accuracy with good ammo, but platform overall is not that great for precision.

Back