testtest

What Is the Maximum Effective Range of .308?

That's fine.

I have M1As also. They're fine as a DMR and for CMP Match shooting, but the AR-10 configuration is superior in several ways as a battle rifle.

While you've had a bad experience with the Victor, other manufacturers of AR-10 platforms have been designed and put together their interpretations better than what SA has done.
Stay away from the Savage AR10 line, to proprietary with their shortened upper/lower and BCG To many issues, not reliable.

Selling the Saint Victor .308 tomorrow. I am currently shopping for an M1A or the Loaded version. >_<
One of the best things I ever did was sell off all of my AR10 kit, and build a few more modernized M14s. The 18" Bush, Scout, MK14 is my favorite, but the standard & Socom length are also great rifles.

The is my 16.25"

The Maximum Effective Range of 7.62x51 / .308 is well beyond distances that I will ever shoot.

IMG_8277.1.jpg

Last edited:
One of the best things I ever did was sell off all of my AR10 kit, and build a few more modernized M14s. The 18" Bush, Scout, MK14 is my favorite, but the standard & Socom length are also great rifles.

The is my 16.25"

The Maximum Effective Range of 7.62x51 / .308 is well beyond distances that I will ever shoot.

View attachment 22903
Ended up getting a Scout Squad and I love it.

Interested in more detail/color on the comment about why the sierra bullet should not be used for big game...not looking to dis a round/brand, but want to understand the perspective of the bullet comparison ...Thx
I figure they were talking about Matchkings…which is a target bullet, not a hunting bullet. It might look like a hollow point, but it’s not; it’s a “Open Tip Match” or OTM, and is not designed for expansion. The US has been using them in our former Mesopotamian and Hindu Kush proving grounds for long-range precision work for that reason.

Interested in more detail/color on the comment about why the sierra bullet should not be used for big game...not looking to dis a round/brand, but want to understand the perspective of the bullet comparison ...Thx
Straight pass thru shot with match rounds or OTM.
Say you shoot a deer. Round zips thru, may not hit a vital if shot is off place from intended spot. No real internal damage from round expansion for immediate kill or shock wound.
Deer runs off never to be seen again. May or may not die elsewhere.

This is so dumb
I don’t think the author is claiming YOU can’t make a kill shot at 500 yards. I think he’s saying for most people who deer hunt a 500 yard shot with a .308 is unethical because most people shoot their deer rifle once or twice a year when checking their zero and when hunting.
Then why write specifically about the .308? What you’re/the author are saying is true with any round. Accuracy is key with any round. If you can hit a 1000yrd target with your .308, you can take it down.

This is so dumb

Then why write specifically about the .308? What you’re/the author are saying is true with any round. Accuracy is key with any round. If you can hit a 1000yrd target with your .308, you can take it down.
Take it up with the "Gun writer" not me. I've killed muleys and elk at 500 plus yards with my BAR ( 30-06) and I didn't hesitate to take the shot.

Your last sentence is not necessarily true though. You can hit targets at 1000 yards with a lot of different rounds/calibers ( and practice) but it doesn't mean it's going to have the energy left to do much damage.

Take it up with the "Gun writer" not me. I've killed muleys and elk at 500 plus yards with my BAR ( 30-06) and I didn't hesitate to take the shot.

Your last sentence is not necessarily true though. You can hit targets at 1000 yards with a lot of different rounds/calibers ( and practice) but it doesn't mean it's going to have the energy left to do much

Your last sentence is not necessarily true though. You can hit targets at 1000 yards with a lot of different rounds/calibers ( and practice) but it doesn't mean it's going to have the energy left to do much damage.
It literally says “if you can hit a target with your .308…” a .308 has enough energy to take down most game at 1000yrds. Don’t be intentionally dense for the sake of arguing.

It literally says “if you can hit a target with your .308…” a .308 has enough energy to take down most game at 1000yrds. Don’t be intentionally dense for the sake of arguing.
Again, I would take the shot. My comment was about what the so called gun writer was thinking, not what I think.

Don't be intentionally argumentative when I have no interest in what you think much less arguing with you about it.

Again, I would take the shot. My comment was about what the so called gun writer was thinking, not what I think.

Don't be intentionally argumentative when I have no interest in what you think much less arguing with you about it.
And yet here you are.

I have the Sig Sauer Sierra3BDX scope on my .308 M1A, if I hunted and used all the scopes Bluetooth features including the ballistic app on specific round information and the range finder the scope would tell me if I’m taking an ethical shot. I don’t hunt.

Back