testtest

What Is USCCA?

I had USCCA but after discovering that they will attempt to recover their legal fees if you are convicted (always check the fine print boys and girls) or even accept a misdemeanour plea, I cancelled them. When I called them to do so they asked me why I was cancelling and I told them exactly why and their reply was - Oh ok. Thank you, were sorry to see you go.

I am now with CCWSafe.

I had USCCA but after discovering that they will attempt to recover their legal fees if you are convicted (always check the fine print boys and girls) or even accept a misdemeanour plea, I cancelled them. When I called them to do so they asked me why I was cancelling and I told them exactly why and their reply was - Oh ok. Thank you, were sorry to see you go.

I am now with CCWSafe.
Oh, I was right all along.

I belong to US Law Shield (a similar organization). I happened across a talk show radio program while I was on the road for the company I used to work for that was talking about self defense and as serendipity would have it one of the guests who called into the show was George Zimmerman. He talked about various issues arising from the shooting of Trayvon Martin and one thing that he wanted people to know is that if you are involved in a shooting it is VERY, VERY, VERY expensive to defend yourself. He was sued multiple times and was not found at fault or liable in any of the cases but with the cost of defending himself, even with some pro bono work (when it was big news) it bancrupted him. Everything he had work for up to that point in his life was gone and he had to start all over. I just read an article a few days ago where Kyle Rittenhouse is in the same boat, and most of his legal was pro bono.
So here's the thing. These companies are in business to sell you insurance that covers your trial costs if you are involved in a justified shooting incident. It needs to be a justified shooting, you shoot and murder someone they ain't coming to your defense. The one I'm in has a criminal defense lawyer that specializes in defending people in shooting incidents in my state on speed dial. They cover the entire cost of the trials, lawyers, etc, etc both criminal and civil. They all have little differences in features and price differences and one size does not fit all. Like for instance, there is no limit on trial costs for US Law Shield whereas USSCA you are insured up to $1 Million, look them over and see if that is coverage that interests you. Its a hell of a deal when your in a justified shooting and end up bancrupt defending against the lawsuits. Just cause you are not found liable in the criminal phase does not mean they ain't gonna still come after you from another angle in a civil suit. Look at OJ. He was found not guilty criminally, but liable civily for millions. They say that money can buy you justice? Well thats true if you end up in a shooting and can't afford a lawyer that specializes in shooting cases and end up with a wet behind the ears Public Defender instead of the lawyer with experience in your type of trial, because you couldn't afford him, and you will see, if you only had the money to afford the superior lawyer you probably would end up better at the end of it all. I know having coverage with US Law Shield allows me to sleep better at night.

I belong to US Law Shield (a similar organization). I happened across a talk show radio program while I was on the road for the company I used to work for that was talking about self defense and as serendipity would have it one of the guests who called into the show was George Zimmerman. He talked about various issues arising from the shooting of Trayvon Martin and one thing that he wanted people to know is that if you are involved in a shooting it is VERY, VERY, VERY expensive to defend yourself. He was sued multiple times and was not found at fault or liable in any of the cases but with the cost of defending himself, even with some pro bono work (when it was big news) it bancrupted him. Everything he had work for up to that point in his life was gone and he had to start all over. I just read an article a few days ago where Kyle Rittenhouse is in the same boat, and most of his legal was pro bono.
So here's the thing. These companies are in business to sell you insurance that covers your trial costs if you are involved in a justified shooting incident. It needs to be a justified shooting, you shoot and murder someone they ain't coming to your defense. The one I'm in has a criminal defense lawyer that specializes in defending people in shooting incidents in my state on speed dial. They cover the entire cost of the trials, lawyers, etc, etc both criminal and civil. They all have little differences in features and price differences and one size does not fit all. Like for instance, there is no limit on trial costs for US Law Shield whereas USSCA you are insured up to $1 Million, look them over and see if that is coverage that interests you. Its a hell of a deal when your in a justified shooting and end up bancrupt defending against the lawsuits. Just cause you are not found liable in the criminal phase does not mean they ain't gonna still come after you from another angle in a civil suit. Look at OJ. He was found not guilty criminally, but liable civily for millions. They say that money can buy you justice? Well thats true if you end up in a shooting and can't afford a lawyer that specializes in shooting cases and end up with a wet behind the ears Public Defender instead of the lawyer with experience in your type of trial, because you couldn't afford him, and you will see, if you only had the money to afford the superior lawyer you probably would end up better at the end of it all. I know having coverage with US Law Shield allows me to sleep better at night.
Well that's the whole problem isn't it. You are effectively spending money every month to insure that your legal bills will be covered in the event you are accused of a crime during a justified shooting. I mean you are pretty much in control of whether or not you justifiably shoot someone so the whole thing you are hedging on is being falsely accused of a crime. And if you can be falsely charged with a crime you can be falsely convicted of that crime. At which point all that money US Law Shield or USCCA spent on your defense, you are now on the hook for.

Many states, including mine, have a pre-emption law which means you cannot be sued civily for a justifiable shooting. Missouri went constitutional carry in 2017. Since then I have heard of many justifiable shootings, none of which resulted in charges being sought against the victim/shooter. A few dumbasses who clearly didn't know the law on the use of deadly force or didn't care are now in jail, but hey. Traffic altercation, guy comes up to your car and flicks a lit cigarette in your face, you are not justified in shooting him in the back as he walks away even if he is an A hole. If you were gonna play the "Tough guy" in a car game you should have gotten out and met him in the road and played it skin on skin right ? Now he's dead ( arguably he deserved it) and you are heading to prison for a long time. This happened in my county about a month ago. Dumbass probably had USCCA too. They probably told him he was on his own.

I was a charter member of USCCA. I listened to their radio program every Sunday evening. Then it became public that "Tactical Tim" Schimdt was a featured speaker at a development conference for online entrepreneurs and during his presentation advised the audience to find a bunch of suckers who believed deeply in something and milk them for all they were worth while pretending you too believed. That is a paraphrase as it was 10 or so years ago. The host of his radio show that Sunday evening claimed he didn't think Tim really meant what he said or was stupid enough to say it in public. I might be a sucker who deeply believes in the Second Amendment, but I am smart enough not to help finance an organization that will talk about me that way in public and I do have a long memory. Maybe the organization has changed over the years, but it still has the same leader and he still seems to be growing wealthy from his "organization".

I was a charter member of USCCA. I listened to their radio program every Sunday evening. Then it became public that "Tactical Tim" Schimdt was a featured speaker at a development conference for online entrepreneurs and during his presentation advised the audience to find a bunch of suckers who believed deeply in something and milk them for all they were worth while pretending you too believed. That is a paraphrase as it was 10 or so years ago. The host of his radio show that Sunday evening claimed he didn't think Tim really meant what he said or was stupid enough to say it in public. I might be a sucker who deeply believes in the Second Amendment, but I am smart enough not to help finance an organization that will talk about me that way in public and I do have a long memory. Maybe the organization has changed over the years, but it still has the same leader and he still seems to be growing wealthy from his "organization".
And ironically many of their members turned in their NRA cards because you know, WLP.

Whatever works for you. Both George Zimmerman and Kyle Rittenhouse were justified yet charges were filed and they had to defend themselves criminally and George also got sued twice civily. There was just recently a Soldier in TX that got caught up in a riot area while driving and ended up shooting a protestor who pointed a weapon at him to avoid becoming a victim himself. He got 25 years. Gov Abbott had to pardon him. Also that exemption for suing civily if not found guilty criminally is in very few states. If you feel confident that if you defend yourself you are not going to be the next headline announcing your trial date then more power to you.
As far as hedging against being falsely accused of a crime. Sometimes the exact circumstances aren't immediately apparent or provable so some states will just arrest you and leave it up to the DA on whether charges are filed if its questionable to any degree. In some states its a crapshoot. These companies are insurance, no different than auto insurance. You don't plan on being in an accident but its there in the event one happens.
I don't ever PLAN on shooting anyone but if my, or one of my loved ones lifes are threatened, I won't hesitate to shoot. It helps me sleep better at night. YMMV...

I personally don’t believe in that kind of insurance myself, to me it’s like other insurance crap, just a way to get you to spend your money on them, if I need a legal help, I will hire a lawyer, where I used to work, I know plenty of them, just me

Hi,

As a USCCA member I've been quite interested in the the recent media about the company. At one time I was keeping both USCCA and CCW Safe memberships. I dropped CCW Safe for what I thought were good reasons (redundancy, expense, etc.) but now I'm rethinking my whole self defense coverage situation.

Here's some fresh information, a statement on Youtube from Tim Schmidt regarding the flack USCCA has taken regarding the cases of Kayla Giles and Alan Colie.

This is Andrew Branca's commentary on Schmidt's statement. It runs over an hour but contains lots of good stuff, discussion, questions that make me reconsider my USCCA membership.

As I type this, Branca's live stream has just ended but the whole thing will be available after he concludes the show. I'm just the delivery boy here. I will be taking a closer look at my coverage.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

There are a number of companies out there and they're all a little different as far as price, coverages, requirements, perks, etc. One sized does not fit all. You have to do your homework. I'll give you an example using US Lawshield and USCCA. Disclaimer: This was valid last time I did any serious research a couple of years ago and is only a small part of each ones coverage and only shown for comparison purposes.

- US Lawshield is cheaper than USCCA but some items that USSCA carries as standard coverage you have to pay extra per month for that portion of coverage to be added to the US LawShield coverage.
- US Lawshield coverage for costs of trials (criminal and/or civil) is unlimited whereas coverage from USCCA is capped at 1 million dollars.
- US Lawshield has lawyers on retainer from every state that you must use whereas USCCA allows you to choose your own lawyer. I have met and researched the 2 lawyers they have on retainer for my state and both are rated as the best 2A criminal defense lawyers in our state. If you are in USCCA you can chose your own lawyer which means you need to have researched who has experience in 2A defense cases in your state/area of your state and then hope that they are available when you need a lawyer.

It only matters what you value. Such as, If its important for you to choose your own lawyer then US Lawshield, regardless of cost savings will not work for you and USCCA will. There are also other companies smaller out there that you can throw in the mix for comparison as well and choose what features are important to you and which are not.

Hi,

Sorry to resurrect a somewhat zombie thread but this was just brought to my attention and I wanted to share another option.

Attorneys On Retainer is a law firm, not an insurance company, and seem to cover a lot of things that USCCA and CCW Safe do not.

This is one Youtuber's opinion on AOR vs USCCA:

For $35 a month this seems like real legal representation and coverage, not dependent on some bean counter in an insurance office.

Then there's a discussion in the USCCA community forum re: AOR. See: https://community.usconcealedcarry....f-protection-plan-national-announcement/88274

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited:
Back