testtest

What Is Your Favorite Knife Locking Mechanism?

I'm not nearly as particular as you guys. Mostly I think people who have had locking mechanisms on their knives fail were using the wrong knife for the job. I have never in my life dressed an animal with a folding knife of any kind. Folders or for when you have to conceal or for daily utilitarian knives. Things like cutting open boxes or packages, cutting rope or tubing, stripping a wire, makeshift screwdriver or pry bar, etc..

This one is cool. I'd carry it.

I'm glad to see that someone else can appreciate the utility of a karambit-style knife. I always see karambits advertised as tactical ninja weapons of death. They are highly-touted by people who call themselves "masters" or "experts" in bladed weapons, despite the obvious fact that virtually none of them have ever been in an actual knifefight. I have found karambits to be excellent work knives, especially for cutting tasks in tight spaces where you have to cut one component without accidently stabbing surrounding material.

I'm glad to see that someone else can appreciate the utility of a karambit-style knife. I always see karambits advertised as tactical ninja weapons of death. They are highly-touted by people who call themselves "masters" or "experts" in bladed weapons, despite the obvious fact that virtually none of them have ever been in an actual knifefight. I have found karambits to be excellent work knives, especially for cutting tasks in tight spaces where you have to cut one component without accidently stabbing surrounding material.
I think it's a very precise instrument that has a lot of practical applications, including as a secondary self defense weapon.

I actually have been in a couple knife fights ( long, long ago) and have been stabbed, but I am far from an expert, just like very nearly every other person on the planet. The only way to win a knife fight is to not get into a knife fight.

I wouldn't think twice about cleaning a deer with a 110 Folding Hunter

I could kill a deer with an atlatl, but why would I ?

I never said it was dangerous or couldn't be done, but there is zero chance of me being in the woods without the proper gear, so why wouldn't I use that?

I agree with Bassbob about using the knives wrong when the locking mechanisms fail. I have used all of the named locking systems and never had one fail. Seems to me that a knife would have to be used in a manner completely inconsistent with how it was designed.

Bassbob , I have used a folding knife to skin and quarter a deer once. I have posted about it before . It was a Schrade USA made model 330. I have one in my pocket right now and it has a 2 & 1/4 " cutting length blade. Was it the proper tool for the job , no . Would I do it again just for fun ? Again no.

I'm not saying that there aren't folders that would do it adequately or there aren't folders designed for that purpose. And I'm sure they're fine, but you aren't going to beat a good skinner for that task. It's about 3000 times easier to clean than a folder too, right in the field with the water you brought with you if you're smart/prepared.

Remember, a wise man once said, " Any tool can be the right tool". :)

I think it's a very precise instrument that has a lot of practical applications, including as a secondary self defense weapon.

I actually have been in a couple knife fights ( long, long ago) and have been stabbed, but I am far from an expert, just like very nearly every other person on the planet. The only way to win a knife fight is to not get into a knife fight.
As George C Scott said in the New Centurions "If they come at you with their fists, you use your nightstick. If they come at you with a knife, you use your gun and cancel their ticket right then."

I have no problem using a properly made folding knife to clean game. In the 50 years I have been hunting, between my elderly father, who had issues with hand strength the last few years, myself, my wife, who has ten deer to her credit but cannot clean them, my brother in law and my sister I have cleaned or helped clean who knows how many deer or large game and hundreds of small game.

These three tools have accounted for most since the 80s. Except for primitive muzzleloader hunts. The small folder all small game and the large folder for perhaps 1/3 of the large game.

20210623_152902.jpg

I have no problem using a properly made folding knife to clean game. In the 50 years I have been hunting, between my elderly father, who had issues with hand strength the last few years, myself, my wife, who has ten deer to her credit but cannot clean them, my brother in law and my sister I have cleaned or helped clean who knows how many deer or large game and hundreds of small game.

These three tools have accounted for most since the 80s. Except for primitive muzzleloader hunts. The small folder all small game and the large folder for perhaps 1/3 of the large game.

View attachment 25734
Since he was 18 years old until retirement my father was a meat cutter. He made me clean and butcher the first deer I ever shot and I couldn’t even begin to estimate how many of them I have done since. Never once even dawned on me to use a folding knife that wasn’t purpose made for that task.

Since he was 18 years old until retirement my father was a meat cutter. He made me clean and butcher the first deer I ever shot and I couldn’t even begin to estimate how many of them I have done since. Never once even dawned on me to use a folding knife that wasn’t purpose made for that task.
Like many things between me and you Bob, two very different ways of looking at things.

Like many things between me and you Bob, two very different ways of looking at things.
Everything ain't for everybody brother.

See I would use your fixed blade there for field dressing and I'd use my old, worn down filet knife for butchering. Which happens on the tailgate. I don't bring bones or skin home.

Never once even dawned on me to use a folding knife that wasn’t purpose made for that task.
In the interest of clarity are you saying that folding knives aren't really made for dressing game?

I already said I'd use a Buck 110 but as you said I'd prefer a fixed blade knife made for the task.

In the interest of clarity are you saying that folding knives aren't really made for dressing game?

I already said I'd use a Buck 110 but as you said I'd prefer a fixed blade knife made for the task.

I can't say there aren't folders that were designed for dressing game. Especially I would imagine small game. I'm not familiar with the 110, but looking at it it doesn't look like it was to me.

I'm also not suggesting that you aren't able to make a quick job of it with that knife. I'm just saying it wouldn't be something I would choose for that task.

This is an example of something I might use.

Back