testtest

What Makes a Redneck at Thanksgiving?

ChanceMcCall

Master Class
Don't get me wrong, I love Thanksgiving. That said, it is getting harder and harder to deal with opposing points of view at the dinner table and socializing while digesting the food.

Apparently, to some folks at least, calling someone a redneck is utilizing a pejorative to describe someone whose opinions you don't agree with and whose views are, in their mind, the sign of of an ignorant and uneducated person. Often it reminds me of the admonition that opinions are like a$$holes: " Everyone has one and they often are unpleasantly odiferous to others".

My wife and I consider ourselves rednecks and are proud of it despite the fact she taught school (Home Ec) and I was basically a white collar business owner. She has a Masters and I have a Doctorate. However we are just as happy in a pick up as a sports car and shooting trap, hunting and, in earlier years, cowboy mounted shooting occupied muck of our time. We still have our three wheelers which we spend a lot of time keeping running like new since our government decided all of us were to dumb to ride and banned their sale. We both carry at least one handgun and keep combat ready shotguns in our vehicles as well as our home. We keep a large tool cabinet full of power and hand tools that we know how to use.

My brother in law who grew up in the same rural area (town boy however) was in the same Boy Scout troop, ended up with a BA and taught shop in a Chicago suburb school after marrying a big city girl in college. Now he lives on Lake Shore Drive and wears custom made monogramed French cuff shirts and spends his time traveling to Europe and going to plays and musicals. Apparently he and his wife must think my IQ is around 70 despite the fact I have never heard either of them even attempt a logical argument to advance their points of view.

I earned our money with 16 hour days and 7 day workweeks while taking lots of risks along the way. They inherited their money from her family. We are Libertarians and they are Progressive Democrats. They think the current COVID crisis is because ignorant rednecks refuse their responsibility to society by not getting vaccinated. Now my wife and I have had three shots despite being ignorant rednecks but that gets ignored as we listen to them rant about people refusing to get vaccinated when my wife ventured the opinion that people should be able to make up their own mind.

Don't get me started on their opinion on guns and gun ownership or European socialized medicine or the evil of following the tax laws to avoid paying our "fair share" because if everyone would just fork over 60% of their income all would be right with the world.

Like I said Thanksgiving used to be one of my favorite holidays. I am thankful for those of you who allowed me to vent. Did any of you have similar experiences?

Like I said Thanksgiving used to be one of my favorite holidays. I am thankful for those of you who allowed me to vent. Did any of you have similar experiences?
NOPE....

i have a large family. my adult kids, thier kids and some grand kids.....hopefully i live long enough to see some great grand kids...

it was told to all my kids, and they passed that down to thier kids....NO POLITICS talking at MY TABLE, IN MY HOUSE.

if you wanna talk politics?

have the holidays at YOUR house, and DO NOT invite me or your mother.

the "allowed" talks in my house are......cars, trucks, home repair/remodeling, gardening, cooking, clothing, the prices of gasoline, food, etc.

in MY house, i am currently the ONLY person that has any gun or CCW, all my adult kids have 'thought" about it, but they have thier considerations regarding the little ones, so that's acceptable, and we DO NOT talk guns.

those are my rules, my house.

and we always have a great holiday season.

now, thanks for bringing up the stupid holidays...........cuz now i gotta start thinking about gift certificates, and how much i gotta damn well spend now....!!!!!!!....:ROFLMAO:

Most in my family are of the same mind on matters of Politics, Religion and other current events.
Any topic is open and welcome; since I'm a freedom of expression advocate then all others can be as well.
Others have a right to their views, can express them but not cram them down my throat as I'm going to offer my view but not cram it down their throat either.
In the case of major differences, and if someone can not absorb the Truth, it is usually the other person that throws in the towel. I (generally) follow the law, live in Peace as much as possible, served as I felt I should, and Respectfully do not bend on my commitment to God, Constitution, and Conscience.

Most in my family are of the same mind on matters of Politics, Religion and other current events.
Any topic is open and welcome; since I'm a freedom of expression advocate then all others can be as well.
Others have a right to their views, can express them but not cram them down my throat as I'm going to offer my view but not cram it down their throat either.
In the case of major differences, and if someone can not absorb the Truth, it is usually the other person that throws in the towel. I (generally) follow the law, live in Peace as much as possible, served as I felt I should, and Respectfully do not bend on my commitment to God, Constitution, and Conscience.
I think C. Sumpin spoke well to the crux of the issue. As conservatives we tend to advocate for the freedom of expression and try to be tolerate of different views and those who express them. However, it seems to me that progressives who advocate for their own point of view are disdainful of those whose views on whatever topic differ from the progressive line. What's even worse is that they then lump us into various categories in order to demean us personally. Well, you're this, or that, or even a redneck is what we are reduced to regardless of our values.

I think C. Sumpin spoke well to the crux of the issue. As conservatives we tend to advocate for the freedom of expression and try to be tolerate of different views and those who express them. However, it seems to me that progressives who advocate for their own point of view are disdainful of those whose views on whatever topic differ from the progressive line. What's even worse is that they then lump us into various categories in order to demean us personally. Well, you're this, or that, or even a redneck is what we are reduced to regardless of our values.
Redneck is more compliment than disparaging. Southern Christian values/hospitality/culture suit me fine nor am I offended if called a Redneck. It must not be too bad, neither the software nor the mods censor it................nor Poor White (or black) trailer trash either??

Not on Thanksgiving at least. I have never spent a Thanksgiving in my life at home around a family Thanksgiving dinner. We always have been up at hunting camp, yesterday we had hobo dinners.

Other holidays well, since I have become the eldest in the family and started hosting most events. I have one rule for family get together, no politics, or other such contentious topics allowed around my table. Everyone knows my leanings and I know thiers. And everyone accepts the rules of my table before coming.

The rules were broken one time at Christmas, and after one warning I declared dinner over, table was unloaded and that was that. We went on to presents where the same rules apply. Never happened second time.

Sorta like this Recusant?

I don’t have much family left. Just 4 of us this year. So I don’t have a problem with political arguments at the table.
That being said I’d rather be in the company of honest and respectful “rednecks” than people who look down their nose at others.

Back