testtest

What should brand new shooter buy to cover CCW and Home defense?

MrMichaelActual

Master Class
I am sure you good folks may have covered this in the past but here goes. Let's imagine a new couple, in this case my cousin and her new hubby, asked me a question such as... we are moving into a new place and we want to have a carry gunas well as be able to defend our new home with perhaps a long gun, what should we buy?
So they are on a limited budget but here are my thoughts. They should buy something that shares caliber of course, like a 9mm handgun/s and something like a S&W FPC; in this way they have a handgun they can carry and a Carbine for home defense. I always recommend a 12 Gauge for the house also, but that may cost to much right out the gate for them.
So while many of us have been shooting forever and have hella guns, what would be a good first time CCW and a home defense weapon combo, assuming one is a long'er' gun?

For the house they could simply use their carry guns. If you want a long gun, look at Mossberg's Maverick 88. An excellent pump gun for around $250. I recommend a 12 gauge, but the lady may be more comfortable with a 20. Both will work just fine.
Carry guns are a very individual thing. They'll have to see what works for them. They should be the same caliber, probably 9mm. And just maybe the same gun would work for both of them. Thus also sharing magazines, holsters and such. However, don't count on it. Each one will need a pistol that feels and shoots well for them.
Lots of good budget priced pistols out there these days. Visit LGS and see what they like.

Hi,

Don't forget to encourage training for everyone with all their firearms. A CCW permit carries a lot of responsibility. Legal liability coverage could come in handy should you ever need to defend yourself. Look into USCCA, CCW Safe, or similar companies.

As much as I want a FPC from S&W (because I have so much 9mm ammo) I recently opted for a Mav88. The Maverick is less than half the price of the FPC. The 18.5" model holds 5 rounds and the 20" model holds 7 rounds. I bought the combo model with two barrels, 18.5" for home defense and 28" for hunting.

As has been mentioned, for CCW pistols they'll want to try a few rentals and find something that works, fits, and is reliable. I like a 4" barrel for carry but that may be too big for smaller folks. If you're on a really tight budget, look for used or look at the PSA Dagger pistols. I love my XD9 and you can find them on sale at a great price on occasion. Other "affordables" with a good reputations are the PDP F-Series, M&P Shield, or perhaps a Ruger Max or Taurus.

Ok, that's my profound glimpse into the obvious. Thanks for putting up with me.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited:
Personally, I think a long gun is a bad idea in the house unless they’re going to go for an AR with a 10.5 in barrel, but then they’ll have to get it SBR’d, although this is a better idea than a PCC in my opinion, unless they’re using an MP5 or clone. A shotgun is a better idea but I’d go with a handgun, something easy to learn that is also optic ready in case they want to go down that road at some point. Maybe something like a Walther PDP, though as you know the choices are limitless. They should rent a selection at the range and make their own minds up. And as @BassCliff mentioned the key to all of that is training and plenty of it. You do not want to be sweeping your house in the dark for the first time when something goes bang.

I would suggest using the carry gun for home defense, especially if there are budget constraints. 9mm is one of the most reasonable calibers to shoot and also has the added advantage of not screaming through walls like a rifle round (a fact my wife empirically proved by mistake one morning).

A light/laser combination is really handy on a pistol. Not only can you see what you are shooting but you have visual confirmation of an approximate point of impact.

In our house, a long gun isn't a good idea. We have narrow hallways which could impede targeting. Longest shot in our residence is going to be less than 30 feet which is easily managed for both of us with a handgun.

I agree with the others, training and practice are invaluable. There are many options available from reputable manufacturers at reasonable price points. Currently, I am seeing some excellent prices on pistols of the XD series and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

One never knows what level of training a new shooter will actually go through with, that is always the wildcard.

So, with that in mind I personally usually suggest that a new shooter starts out with a 3 or 4 inch revolver. The reason is the same as I suggest a new driver learn on a stick shift. Master the double action revolver and they can shoot anything. From there it's just a matter of trying everything they can get thier hands on to find out what they like.

If they insist upon a pistol maybe something like an XD or Shield Ez. The grip safety is something decently safe for a noobie to learn on.

Just an opinion.

Last edited:
One never knows what level of training a new shooter will actually go through with, that is always the wildcard.

So, with that in mind I personally usually suggest that a new shooter starts out with a 3 or 4 inch revolver. The reason is the same as I suggest a new driver learn on a stick shift. Master the double action revolver and they can shoot anything. From there it's just a matter of trying everything they can get thier hands on to find out what they like.

If they insist upon a pistol maybe something like an XD or Shield Ez. The grip safety is something decently safe for a noobie to learn on.

Just an opinion.
Astute advice, indeed.

For home defense you can't beat a good pump shotgun with #4 buckshot. 12 or 20 ga will get the job done.

Whichever route your friends take, training is an essential part of being a responsible gun owner.

A GOOD handgun training course will include a segment on choosing the right gun for you. Everyone is different physically and in preference. Hand size and strength, dexterity, strength and stature, recoil tolerance, visual acuity are a few factors to be considered. Match the gun to the shooter.

My requirements for a new shooter are: The gun must be reliable, the gun should have the power to get the job done, the gun should fit the shooter's hand, the shooter must be able to operate the action and controls, and must be able to hit the target with it.

Deciding the best gun for the shooter is a process in which the new shooter must participate. I have seen many novice shooters end up with an unsuitable gun for them based solely on the opinion of Bubba or the guy behind the counter at a gun shop. A knowledgeable friend or instructor coupled with a cooperative gun shop that will let the novice handle multiple guns will yield the best chance for success.

One more point: If you choose a defense gun based on price alone your priorities are off base. Every gun shop I go into has a section of guns that in my opinion will make fine fishing weights or tomato stakes. Avoid them.

Well, get training has been covered ad nauseum. The OP has been around here awhile. We all know he already knows all that stuff and that's not what he asked for advice on, so...

I am going to also suggest same caliber handguns. Probably 9MMs. Take them somewhere with a lot of guns and maybe even a range so they can each try a bunch out. Let them decide, though you should nudge them in the right direction, i.e. don't let them buy Taurus or Hi-Point semi autos, etc.. There is nothing magical or difficult about semi autos and they are in my opinion the best place to start. Especially for people with little money. Good revolvers are not cheap and cheap revolvers suck. They are "Sub-optimal" carry guns at best. I think the whole " New shooters should start with revolvers" schtick is crap. Let's not assume your cousin is retarded and can figure out how to safely handle and operate her new firearm just like you, me and every other normal person did. Have the discussion with them about how they plan to carry them and make some well thought out suggestions as far as holsters go. Don't forget extra mags.

As for the house gun, my suggestion is to use the carry guns in that role until they can save up the money for something decent. I'm a buy once, cry once kinda guy. Yeah, you can get an 88 for $250, but you can get 590 for $450 so.....

For the house they could simply use their carry guns. If you want a long gun, look at Mossberg's Maverick 88. An excellent pump gun for around $250. I recommend a 12 gauge, but the lady may be more comfortable with a 20. Both will work just fine.
Carry guns are a very individual thing. They'll have to see what works for them. They should be the same caliber, probably 9mm. And just maybe the same gun would work for both of them. Thus also sharing magazines, holsters and such. However, don't count on it. Each one will need a pistol that feels and shoots well for them.
Lots of good budget priced pistols out there these days. Visit LGS and see what they like.
I have an 88 too, not sure I want to start them down the path of just going cheap

Last edited:
Well, get training has been covered ad nauseum. The OP has been around here awhile. We all know he already knows all that stuff and that's not what he asked for advice on, so...

I am going to also suggest same caliber handguns. Probably 9MMs. Take them somewhere with a lot of guns and maybe even a range so they can each try a bunch out. Let them decide, though you should nudge them in the right direction, i.e. don't let them buy Taurus or Hi-Point semi autos, etc.. There is nothing magical or difficult about semi autos and they are in my opinion the best place to start. Especially for people with little money. Good revolvers are not cheap and cheap revolvers suck. They are "Sub-optimal" carry guns at best. I think the whole " New shooters should start with revolvers" schtick is crap. Let's not assume your cousin is retarded and can figure out how to safely handle and operate her new firearm just like you, me and every other normal person did. Have the discussion with them about how they plan to carry them and make some well thought out suggestions as far as holsters go. Don't forget extra mags.

As for the house gun, my suggestion is to use the carry guns in that role until they can save up the money for something decent. I'm a buy once, cry once kinda guy. Yeah, you can get an 88 for $250, but you can get 590 for $450 so.....
"Good revolvers are not cheap and cheap revolvers suck!" I love it! Yea I am probably gently steering them to a 9 of some sort. They probably do not need a long gun at all but could instead spend that money on the 9's as well thus affording something a bit better...

I used to have revolvers exclusively, if you can shoot them, you can master any pistols.
In 2018 I bought a MOD-2 Grip Zone for CCW and then bought a Grip Zone Tactical for home and range both have the same feel and controls with the same calibers as Bassbob suggested.
I would like to buy a smaller CCW, I find the compact a little hard to keep from printing but undecided too much to choose from, so for now my S&W Model 36 will do.

JMHO. Only hits count. After your body has dumped enough adrenalin into your system to turn fingers into thumbs, feet into cement blocks, shut down half your brain and kicked the other half into high gear, hitting with a long gun is easier than a handgun no matter how experienced. It's just more noticeable in new shooters, who don't have the experience or training to HELP overcome this. Ammo compatibility between the handguns is nice, but way down on the list of must/like to have. Reliability. Comfort to shoot. How well someone shoots and can manipulate the gun. Willingness to carry and have when needed. All far out rank ammo compatibility. Maybe they should carry the same gun, so magazines are compatible? We can what if scenarios all day, but we a talking about civilian, self-defense, not Hollyweird saving the world from terrorists, zombie apocalypse, Ninja death squads, etc.
It sounds like $ is a concern. I disagree with save your pennies till you can buy X. If you feel you need a gun you need it now, not some day. Also remember that the gun is only part of the cost. A belt, holster, spare mags, ammo for breaking in, practice, and carry, all add to the cost of the gun. Maybe I'm unlucky but in my rural area and rural state I don't ever seem to find those "if you shop around you can find used X for Y". Online sounds good but then you have to add S&H, transfer fees, and you're buying a used gun sight unseen. +1 for the Maveric 88. SCCY CPX2. The stepson has one we have shot quite a bit, and I have played with a couple of others. Reliable, accurate as the shooter, and can be had for $150-$200. Yes, it has a long heavy trigger pull. JUST LIKE A DOUBLE ACTION REVOLVER. In fact, I'll state the SCCY trigger is better than many of the more expensive untuned DA revolvers, I have shot.

Last edited:
On a limited budget: Maverick 88 in 12 ga. and a name brand 9mm. You can get a nice Shield or Max 9 under $400. Have a knowledgeable friend give some training. If on a limited budget, they are not going to do Gunsite or similar. Make sure the wife can handle and her hand fits the gun. Too many men make choices for them.

So, let’s talk used guns.

You can go to several websites (AIM, Atlantic, etc) and get police trade in pistols very reasonably. Something like a Glock 19, S&W M&P Compact, or even an Sig P229 for a decent price, even figuring shipping & transfer.

And then, a decent used pump shotgun should run you under $250.

Training has been covered; it’s important.

I think I am leaning towards taking them to look at at G19 or G43, maybe even a 26... my reasoning is... 9mm ammo is getting "cheaper", you can buy range ammo at Academy now for 14.99 a box, and 9mm will do what needs to be done. I know everyone has a love or hate relationship with Glock but my Glocks have always been 100% reliable and easy to maintain. Sure I prefer my Sig's, but these kids aren't there yet. It is probably easier to find a pair of Glocks used for their price range, than a pair of Sigs and I want them to be able to mix mags and ammo thus hoping to find a pair. A G17 used, is easier to find plus cheaper, but she is tiny and does not need a full frame. Just brainstorming...

Back