testtest

What should brand new shooter buy to cover CCW and Home defense?

So while many of us have been shooting forever and have hella guns, what would be a good first time CCW and a home defense weapon combo, assuming one is a long'er' gun?

Reread the OP a couple of times and judging from the last sentence I am assuming that the 'cousin' doesn't have any guns yet and is looking for some suggestions. If they are indeed, newbe's, then I would suggest they try out several handguns to try and find something that suits their likes and needs. Once they have accomplished that then they can decide on what they want for a house gun. Since it sounds like they want a long gun of some sort, a 20 ga pump shotgun would not be a bad choice.

Lots of good info here on conceal carry. Personally, for home defense

Attachments

• mini.jpg
    mini.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 33
JMHO. Only hits count. After your body has dumped enough adrenalin into your system to turn fingers into thumbs, feet into cement blocks, shut down half your brain and kicked the other half into high gear, hitting with a long gun is easier than a handgun no matter how experienced. It's just more noticeable in new shooters, who don't have the experience or training to HELP overcome this. Ammo compatibility between the handguns is nice, but way down on the list of must/like to have. Reliability. Comfort to shoot. How well someone shoots and can manipulate the gun. Willingness to carry and have when needed. All far out rank ammo compatibility. Maybe they should carry the same gun, so magazines are compatible? We can what if scenarios all day, but we a talking about civilian, self-defense, not Hollyweird saving the world from terrorists, zombie apocalypse, Ninja death squads, etc.
It sounds like $ is a concern. I disagree with save your pennies till you can buy X. If you feel you need a gun you need it now, not some day. Also remember that the gun is only part of the cost. A belt, holster, spare mags, ammo for breaking in, practice, and carry, all add to the cost of the gun. Maybe I'm unlucky but in my rural area and rural state I don't ever seem to find those "if you shop around you can find used X for Y". Online sounds good but then you have to add S&H, transfer fees, and you're buying a used gun sight unseen. +1 for the Maveric 88. SCCY CPX2. The stepson has one we have shot quite a bit, and I have played with a couple of others. Reliable, accurate as the shooter, and can be had for $150-$200. Yes, it has a long heavy trigger pull. JUST LIKE A DOUBLE ACTION REVOLVER. In fact, I'll state the SCCY trigger is better than many of the more expensive untuned DA revolvers, I have shot.

I disagee with a lot of this. SCCY is another gun you couldn't give me for free. You seem to be operating under the
"Any gun is better than no gun" theory. Which is true assuming you have no choice or like you said, they need a gun right now ( Which the OP did NOT say was the case). It might also be that they end up like us misfits and don't mind having 15 extra guns around that all do the same thing. Which is what will eventually happen if you start out with crap guns. Not saying the 88 is crap, but it will definitely leave anyone wanting something more. Decent guns are not that much more expensive than crappy guns. If an extra hundred or two is a big deal to you then I doubt if shooting sports is going to be your thing. Training ain't cheap. Ammo ain't cheap. Save up a little and buy a decent gun. You can get a Shield 9mm for less than $400. And you can get a Mossberg 590 for not much more than that.

Hans has it right. Check the used market, especially for shotguns. Meanwhile I doubt the situation is so dire that a pair of 9mm pistols won't work for home defense.

I disagee with a lot of this. SCCY is another gun you couldn't give me for free. You seem to be operating under the
"Any gun is better than no gun" theory. Which is true assuming you have no choice or like you said, they need a gun right now ( Which the OP did NOT say was the case). It might also be that they end up like us misfits and don't mind having 15 extra guns around that all do the same thing. Which is what will eventually happen if you start out with crap guns. Not saying the 88 is crap, but it will definitely leave anyone wanting something more. Decent guns are not that much more expensive than crappy guns. If an extra hundred or two is a big deal to you then I doubt if shooting sports is going to be your thing. Training ain't cheap. Ammo ain't cheap. Save up a little and buy a decent gun. You can get a Shield 9mm for less than $400. And you can get a Mossberg 590 for not much more than that.

Hans has it right. Check the used market, especially for shotguns. Meanwhile I doubt the situation is so dire that a pair of 9mm pistols won't work for home defense.
Agree, I would steer them away from an SCCY. I mean an RMR cut 9 for less than the cost of a good red dot to put on it...cmon man. As much as I can steer them, I want them to have a good experience right out of the gate and also don't want them to have a bunch of junk guns in a drawer that they never use down the road, I got that scenario covered as do many of us probably.

Reread the OP a couple of times and judging from the last sentence I am assuming that the 'cousin' doesn't have any guns yet and is looking for some suggestions. If they are indeed, newbe's, then I would suggest they try out several handguns to try and find something that suits their likes and needs. Once they have accomplished that then they can decide on what they want for a house gun. Since it sounds like they want a long gun of some sort, a 20 ga pump shotgun would not be a bad choice.
Yep I agree, we are all meeting up for the holidays in a couple months, if they have waited that long I will let them handle and shoot some of mine and see what they (think) they like.

I would start by taking them to a local gun range/store. See what they have to rent, and get them used to shooting before they buy. His hands “may” be too big for Hellcat size guns, and she may not like the kick those same guns give, but you won’t know until they try them.
Then when they go to pick up and handle/fondle/drool over the many choices available they will have a better understanding of what might work for them.
Good luck.

My sister has a Shield EZ 9mm ( $521) that is easy to handle and load. She really likes it. Easy to rack.

I like Springfield’s XDe. It conceals well and shoots nicely. Since the XDe has been discontinued, they may be able to find one or two for a good price. A reliable pistol, and if you like DA/SA like I do, a contender.

Lots of folks like Glock for a reason too, as you alluded to.

For me, I prefer a pistol for home defense. A shotgun is considerably heavier and difficult to maneuver in close quarters. Easier for a thug to grab also.

My sister has a Shield EZ 9mm ( $521)
Not picking on you just using your post as an example.
Maveric 88 Security: at Acadamy .,..................................................................................... 230
S&W EZ: X2................................................................................................................................1042
Holster: about $50 + X2..............................................................................................................100
Belt: good lord $40-$140+ X2 we'll just call it ...............................................................100
Ammo: couple of hundred minimal for all three guns.
So they are on a limited budget
They are pushing 17 two grand. If they can afford better GREAT. If not get what you can afford with the cavoite that the gun in question is reliable, you can run the gun, and willing to use/carry it. To quote Creedence Clearwater Revival
Someday Never Comes, or I'll add maybe too late. The world is going to hell in a hand basket. Then I'm sure every senior citizen has said the same thing since the beginning of time :LOL::cry:o_O
Oh and Bassbob if they are looking at guns now, they will end up with 15 as the years go by anyway.;) They could buy the absolute best most expensive CCW going and in 3-4 years will find/need/want something else. Come on everyone fess up. How many of us has done this time and time again. I know that after 40+ years I'm more or less right back where I started. S&W 683 instead of the S&W 36.:rolleyes:

Lots of good information.

Going to a store that has an indoor range and rents firearms is a good first step. It's better to spend money on a good one you like and can shoot accurately than going through a few that feel good in the hand but are not comfortable to shoot.

I've instructed female relatives, friends, and martial arts students on how to safely handle firearms and then sometimes gone to a gun range with them.

It's sometimes hard to not influence a newbie's firearm choices if you have a strong preference for a particular brand(s). As I constantly remind students, it's not how good I can do the technique, it's how you can make it your own and be effective with it. This is even more important with a firearm.

Some people never find the "right" firearm because they're not willing(or not patient enough) to put in the repetitions with a firearm that feels good and they can handle and shoot safely. They seem to be looking for more.

Not picking on you just using your post as an example.
Maveric 88 Security: at Acadamy .,..................................................................................... 230
S&W EZ: X2................................................................................................................................1042
Holster: about $50 + X2..............................................................................................................100
Belt: good lord $40-$140+ X2 we'll just call it ...............................................................100
Ammo: couple of hundred minimal for all three guns.

They are pushing 17 two grand. If they can afford better GREAT. If not get what you can afford with the cavoite that the gun in question is reliable, you can run the gun, and willing to use/carry it. To quote Creedence Clearwater Revival
Someday Never Comes, or I'll add maybe too late. The world is going to hell in a hand basket. Then I'm sure every senior citizen has said the same thing since the beginning of time :LOL::cry:o_O
Oh and Bassbob if they are looking at guns now, they will end up with 15 as the years go by anyway.;) They could buy the absolute best most expensive CCW going and in 3-4 years will find/need/want something else. Come on everyone fess up. How many of us has done this time and time again. I know that after 40+ years I'm more or less right back where I started. S&W 683 instead of the S&W 36.:rolleyes:
Hardly relevant. That math doesn't add up to " Time to buy a piece of :poop: to save a few bucks".

For home defense you can't beat a good pump shotgun with #4 buckshot. 12 or 20 ga will get the job done.

Whichever route your friends take, training is an essential part of being a responsible gun owner.

A GOOD handgun training course will include a segment on choosing the right gun for you. Everyone is different physically and in preference. Hand size and strength, dexterity, strength and stature, recoil tolerance, visual acuity are a few factors to be considered. Match the gun to the shooter.

My requirements for a new shooter are: The gun must be reliable, the gun should have the power to get the job done, the gun should fit the shooter's hand, the shooter must be able to operate the action and controls, and must be able to hit the target with it.

Deciding the best gun for the shooter is a process in which the new shooter must participate. I have seen many novice shooters end up with an unsuitable gun for them based solely on the opinion of Bubba or the guy behind the counter at a gun shop. A knowledgeable friend or instructor coupled with a cooperative gun shop that will let the novice handle multiple guns will yield the best chance for success.

One more point: If you choose a defense gun based on price alone your priorities are off base. Every gun shop I go into has a section of guns that in my opinion will make fine fishing weights or tomato stakes. Avoid them.
I agree with Hayes.

Back