Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SW 19 comp carry

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • EMP

Votes: 7 58.3%

• Total voters

Sld1959

Hellcat
Hope everyone is well, its been a while due to many circumstances. It's that time of year for me... birthdays time. Each year I put all my change in two jars, one for my wife and one for me. Them come birthday time I buy something. If there is money left over it goes in the jars for next year. Well this year is my 62 birthday and there is a pretty decent stack due to last year's covid mess. So I have decided to buy, a grail, as it were. Something I have wanted for years but just never gotten for whatever reason. My one self imposed rule is not to spend a dime over the money jar, not because I cannot, because that was the rule 42 years ago when we got married and money was tight.

The candidates.

1. SW 638, the old 38 bodyguard humpback. Fell in love with one watching a Burt Renolds movie but just never got one.

2. SW model 19 Comp Carry.. Always loved the combat magnum in both 4 and 2 inch variants. But never got one oddly enough. This would finally scratch that itch, but it would take most of the saved money.

3. Springfield Emp. Fell in love at first sight. It would take all the money but it might be worth it.

So what say ye, what and why. Should I go all in or save some for these uncertain times.

I’m a S&W Model 19 guy thru and thru, but I have a 6” barrel. Those 4” models are sweet rigs as well.
Theres my vote
My first handgun was a 6 inch Taurus 66 357 bought in the early 80s. It is a model 19 clone and I think kind of scratched the itch for many years even though it's not... it really has been an excellant handgun. Which is why always said don't take for gospel everything you read on the net. Still have it and it has served wonderfully. It has become my new hunting handgun again by default. Took a deer last year with it.

My first handgun was a 6 inch Taurus 66 357 bought in the early 80s. It is a model 19 clone and I think kind of scratched the itch for many years even though it's not... it really has been an excellant handgun. Which is why always said don't take for gospel everything you read on the net. Still have it and it has served wonderfully. It has become my new hunting handgun again by default. Took a deer last year with it.

I have taken many, many deer with my unscoped Taurus model 44 with 8 3/8" barrel. Also an 80s model. It has been an excellent revolver.

To the OP, I really don't have an opinion on any of the guns you mentioned, but I would say get the one you are least likely to have an easy time acquiring in the future.

Hope everyone is well, its been a while due to many circumstances. It's that time of year for me... birthdays time. Each year I put all my change in two jars, one for my wife and one for me. Them come birthday time I buy something. If there is money left over it goes in the jars for next year. Well this year is my 62 birthday and there is a pretty decent stack due to last year's covid mess. So I have decided to buy, a grail, as it were. Something I have wanted for years but just never gotten for whatever reason. My one self imposed rule is not to spend a dime over the money jar, not because I cannot, because that was the rule 42 years ago when we got married and money was tight.

The candidates.

1. SW 638, the old 38 bodyguard humpback. Fell in love with one watching a Burt Renolds movie but just never got one.

2. SW model 19 Comp Carry.. Always loved the combat magnum in both 4 and 2 inch variants. But never got one oddly enough. This would finally scratch that itch, but it would take most of the saved money.

3. Springfield Emp. Fell in love at first sight. It would take all the money but it might be worth it.

So what say ye, what and why. Should I go all in or save some for these uncertain times.

Well then, Happy Birthdays!!!!

On which gun?
When in Rome, do as the Romans do? You're in Springfield territory, go with the EMP of course!
....and you said you liked it.

Every match is like a big war that consists of numerous very important small fights, but undoubtedly, the pistol rounds are the most important. If you win a pistol round, it will give you a huge financial advantage in the next two rounds.

I favor the Model 19 for a revolver. I have a 2.5 inch Model 19 that I bought new in 1979 and carried off duty and later as a detective. (I still have the box and receipt-I paid $170). If I were to carry a revolver as my EDC it would be this or a model 66. I also have a 4 inch in my collection. Both my model 19's are smooth as butter and very easy to shoot accurately, easy to carry but heavy enough to tame the recoil. If you intend to shoot it much, the 638 Bodyguard is not one I would choose. They are tough to shoot accurately without lots of practice, and the recoil is brutal with full power loads so you're not going to want to shoot it a lot. If a SAO and 9mm is your cup of tea you can't go wrong with the EMP.

I favor the Model 19 for a revolver. I have a 2.5 inch Model 19 that I bought new in 1979 and carried off duty and later as a detective. (I still have the box and receipt-I paid $170). If I were to carry a revolver as my EDC it would be this or a model 66. I also have a 4 inch in my collection. Both my model 19's are smooth as butter and very easy to shoot accurately, easy to carry but heavy enough to tame the recoil. If you intend to shoot it much, the 638 Bodyguard is not one I would choose. They are tough to shoot accurately without lots of practice, and the recoil is brutal with full power loads so you're not going to want to shoot it a lot. If a SAO and 9mm is your cup of tea you can't go wrong with the EMP.
You are quite correct,, I agree the jfranes can be a bit challenging. I have had a number of them, simply not the Bidyguard series for some reason. Currently I have the 637 setup with a laser and weapon light for my wife, its her favorite bedside revokver and my side has a 3 inch model 60 so speedloaders and operation are the same.

Well, that takes care of that. The grand kids were over this weekend and loved our pool, it's all they talked about all weekend. So, no gun for me, the money is buying them a pool.

Seeing thier faces will be worth more than any gun.

Just saw this thread so I'm late to this party. I have never shot or handled the Springfield EMP, but have and do own a number of semi auto's. I've also carried a Model 19 both in 6" and 4". The biggest difference between all of the (for me), is round capacity. Consider a 19 only carries 6 rds while the semi auto's carries 8-15 rds. What do you want the weapon for AND how good a shot are you? I personally want the most ammo I can have in my handgun. Sure you can carry SPEEDY LOADERS for the 19, but even a backup magazine for a semi-auto usually carries 7-14 rds more and is dependent on the make and caliber of weapon. Just food for thought. In any case, HAPPY BIRTHDAY and enjoy whatever you decide to buy.

Back