testtest

What yardage

PRG

Alpha
Love my Hellcat OSP I have never had a red dot before. I have read so much about what range you should sight in with a red dot, anywhere from 5-15 to 25 yards. So I decided to go to the source and the ones who EDC.

Love my Hellcat OSP I have never had a red dot before. I have read so much about what range you should sight in with a red dot, anywhere from 5-15 to 25 yards. So I decided to go to the source and the ones who EDC.

Considering the Hellcat is designed for concealed carry I would zero the red dot at about 12- 15 yards. The most likely situation where you will need to be accurate is likely between 3 and 21 feet.

Red dot or not I sight in and shoot all my pistols at 25 yds. I have a 10mm with a RMR that is sighted in at 50 yds. I would sight it in at 25 yds and then shoot it at 7-10 yards to see where you were at on target. You will still be well within minute of man. I mean well within sighted in at 25 yds and make a shoot 7-10 yds.

And if you sight it in at 15 yards you might be 1/4" -1/2" high at 25 yards.

Personally I zero different pistols at different ranges. And subcompact carry guns I generally sight them in at 15. The 1911s are either 25 or 50. My .44 Mag at 75 yards.

Accepting that everything is never exactly equal, I sight mine in @ 10 yds. Assuming a sight height of about 1" and dead on @ 10yds will get you a trajectory of about 1.1" high @ 36yds-40yds and about .8" high at 50yds. So consider you could hold dead on at any target out to 50yds and expect to never be any higher than about 1.1"+- high, from the gun out to 50yds. I'm probably not going to be shooting my Hellcat with a red dot out any further than that in any self defense situation. If I've got a 50yd advantage, I'm going to haul the mail if any way possible. BTW, this is with a pretty common 124gr JHP.

Once you start to engage targets at long yardage, and especially with compact or even smaller CC guns, you're more likely to miss on windage than elevation anyway.

But then this graph shows with a 10yd sight in, a 124gr bullet (whereas your choice of bullet wt was 115gr), and a sight height of about 1"....... at 50yd poa the bullet path is never more than just a tad over 1" at about 36-40yds. Unless I misunderstood the question? Somewhere in reading the thread, I read into the OP's question that he was interested in a 50yd POA.

If I'm reading your graph correctly, it appears the sight height is about 1 1/2" which in itself would create a greater mid-range trajectory. And again if I'm understanding your graphs, neither of them show a 50yd POA or POI.
1606777461885.png

Here's a link to the graph:
http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php?t=8a21256b

Did I miss or misunderstand something we were talking about? Always willing to learn.

I'm not familiar with the particular graph app that Okie's using and I may be misreading it. I'm not saying it's wrong, only that I don't quite understand it as far as the OP's question.

The link I provided will allow one to make any changes/differences he/she may need for their own answers.

I'm not familiar with the particular graph app that Okie's using and I may be misreading it. I'm not saying it's wrong, only that I don't quite understand it as far as the OP's question.

The link I provided will allow one to make any changes/differences he/she may need for their own answers.
jumpinjoe you're totally right. I skipped the whopping 1.5" HOB which also means its likely a rifle calculator with 16" barrel and totally not applicable here. Matter of fact, it's the exact opposite of a Hellcat lol. Thanks for the catch. I deleted my previous post to avoid any confusion.

Hansgruber thats is something, from 85-87 I was assigned to the embassy in Belgrade and our consultant was in Zagreb which was a state of Yugoslavia and is now the country of Croatia. Once a month i would drive there and spend a week there performing some maintenance

Back