testtest

What You Need to Know About the Survival Gun

Muzzle energy is not the end-all, be-all measure of a caliber's effectiveness.

I have killed 400+ pound sows with a .22LR; one shot, bang, dead. A 9mm or 556 wouldn’t have done the job better...just messier.

When it comes to a survival gun, weight is going to be everything. 500 rounds of .22LR is going to go a lot farther than a comparable weight of 9mm or 556; let alone the fact that the platform that shoots it will almost certainly be lighter as well.

Muzzle energy is not the end-all, be-all measure of a caliber's effectiveness.

I have killed 400+ pound sows with a .22LR; one shot, bang, dead. A 9mm or 556 wouldn’t have done the job better...just messier.

When it comes to a survival gun, weight is going to be everything. 500 rounds of .22LR is going to go a lot farther than a comparable weight of 9mm or 556; let alone the fact that the platform that shoots it will almost certainly be lighter as well.
Agreed ... 😉 see above

Also, IMO, in the "originalist" interpretation of a survival gun a revolver makes sense since you can easily recover the brass for reloading.

A .357 mag revolver is a pretty versatile handgun for survival.

In addition to the combo guns & & 22s I mentioned earlier, I have my 4" S&W 686 in my "survival" kit, as well as a Lee Loader for that.

My .02

Last edited:
Also, IMO, in the "originalist" interpretation of a survival gun a revolver makes sense since you can easily recover the brass for reloading.

A .357 mag revolver is a pretty versatile handgun for survival.

My .02

My thoughts exactly. If I ever got setup for reloading, it would likely be for .357 and .38 special, as I can recover that brass. It's a lot harder to recover my automatic ammo as the brass is all over the place. In indoor ranges the brass usually ends up across the front wall of the shooting booth - outdoors, its all down in the grass in a field somewhere.

Another survival need would be to make your own bullets.

Using spent .22lr cases you can make .223/6mm diameter bullets from swaging 22lr cases.

http://www.corbins.com/kit-224.htm

I think the jackets would be thin but if you have a .223 cal. bolt action you could roll you own with this equipment and salvaged wheel-weight lead, and be able to load decent loads.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back