testtest

What’s the Best Reflex Sight Dot Color?

I'm going against the grain here.
I had a dot sight that had blue. I see blue far far better at distance than any other. Anyone here ever had an electronic component that had a blue LED on it did it pierce all the way through to the back of your skull every time you seen it?

Blue LED Xmas lights on the exterior of a house, I see those (except for white) way before I see the other colors in the string from a great distance.

By the way the dot sight was a cheap one it died but the dot was the best I've used to date as far as seeing clearly.

The reason I’ve heard why green isn’t a great idea, that makes sense to me, is that grass, trees, bushes, etc can obfuscate and hide the dot.

I’ve only used red, so not sure if that logic is true in reality, but seems like it could be. Red is much easier to pickup in contrast to surroundings.

So I am red/green color blind, a common affliction among males. The wave lengths of light are close enough together I can not distinguish red from green when one color dominates. One can see the problems there. Maybe that's why Pitdogg2 likes blue. My most visible color in the woods, fluorescent pink.

So I am red/green color blind, a common affliction among males. The wave lengths of light are close enough together I can not distinguish red from green when one color dominates. One can see the problems there. Maybe that's why Pitdogg2 likes blue. My most visible color in the woods, fluorescent pink.
I see red and green just fine. I have no color blindness.
My TFX pro sights on my XD-m are green and I love them.
Blue is a shorter but stronger wave length.

Nodda on yellow, gold until now. Have seen some scopes and other optics advertised with switchable R, G, B modes. Simply turn dial to change colors. What brand, not sure. Has been a while. Possibly Bushnell?

Good article. I am not surprised with his conclusion that the gold dot was best for him. I have been replacing red inserts with yellow on my handguns for over 30 years. I can just see the yellow better on all backgrounds. Just my 2 cents. ;)

Like Delmar, "I'm with you fellas." I don't use red sight posts because I had one and at sundown it was hard to pick up.
I like ivory or white, but as far as dots go, I've only ever had red. At night the red will have less effect on your vision, so I guess red would do. Still, I wouldn't mind trying a green one. It's not like foliage, it's a light. The human eye can supposedly see green the best.

I have a green dot and I like it a lot. I’d have all my reflex sights in green if I could, but they are not always easy to find. And they typically tend to be a bit more expensive.

her is my take on color of a dot sight whether it be green, red, blue, gold, I think it is all in how you process to register the color of that dot, think of an everyday life what colors are you prone to use, you are literally programmed to see red as danger, so when I see red I instantly proceed to respond to such as brake lights, warning lights, stop signs, stoplights, etc. so when I see red I react instantly, all the other colors do not register like red does, all colors have a different reaction to your thought pattern, take green for example, you do not respond to green as being danger, so you would lose a split second in reaction time when you see green, it actually takes a moment to register green as danger, so in turn your brain has a different reaction to all colors, so I think red would be best for a dot sight color I like the other color spectrums but I personally react to red faster and more consistent.

The reason I’ve heard why green isn’t a great idea, that makes sense to me, is that grass, trees, bushes, etc can obfuscate and hide the dot.

I’ve only used red, so not sure if that logic is true in reality, but seems like it could be. Red is much easier to pickup in contrast to surroundings.
Yes, those are valid things, but then again there is a lot of red, especially clothing. I dare say I see more red shirts and jackets than I do bright green. So what's to say the red dot will be visible better than green when shooting at something that may shoot back.

I like a green sight better than red or orange personally.

Attachments

• 20200324_140400.jpg
    20200324_140400.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 185
I have a green dot and I like it a lot. I’d have all my reflex sights in green if I could, but they are not always easy to find. And they typically tend to be a bit more expensive.
When I had my Hell Cat I went with a swampfox sentinel red dot. For me it was a costly mistake. I learned just how bad my astigmatism was. I did not get a dot. I got a big red blur that made it useless.
I just picked up a holosun in green, and I have no issue with it. For the the green is bright clear and crisp.

Back