testtest

What’s Wrong with the Hellcat?

I only have one complaint about the Hellcat and it's specific to the OSP. Springfield should have given it taller sights. I have a Swampfox on mine and it blocks more than half the front sight.

I only have one complaint about the Hellcat and it's specific to the OSP. Springfield should have given it taller sights. I have a Swampfox on mine and it blocks more than half the front sight.
With all due respect, is that the fault of the SA/Hellcat, or the Swampfox? If the Swampfox were to be made thinner, or with a notch at the rear, the Hellcat sights would be fine, right?

With all due respect, is that the fault of the SA/Hellcat, or the Swampfox? If the Swampfox were to be made thinner, or with a notch at the rear, the Hellcat sights would be fine, right?
Either one would make the Swampfox suitable. It'd be nice if somebody made taller sights that fit the Hellcat OSP but apparently nobody does. So if I fault the Hellcat it's for having what seems to be a unique dovetail for the rear sight that nobody (yet) replicates.

I thought the Hellcat OSP was designed for use with the Shield RMS-C compact red dot, and one other compact red dot?
As I understand, it was originally designed with the Shield sights (RMSc & SMSc) in mind, and at that time the Shields were about the only ones that would fit the OSP machining and co-witness with the Hellcat's irons. Since then, and with the popularity of the Hellcat, several other manufacturers have built sights that will fit the 'foot print' of the Shield, but few if any have built a sight that will fully co-witness with the irons on the Hellcat. I'm sure however that in time more will.

And as time has gone on there are several adapter plates available now for mounting sights other than the original Shields but using the Shield's footprint. But again none that I'm aware of that will fully co-witness with any sight.

Either one would make the Swampfox suitable. It'd be nice if somebody made taller sights that fit the Hellcat OSP but apparently nobody does. So if I fault the Hellcat it's for having what seems to be a unique dovetail for the rear sight that nobody (yet) replicates.
Again with all due respect, I'm going to assume that at least part of the reasoning for the short irons on the Hellcat is due to the fact that it was and is primarily designed for CCW. Almost all handguns I'm aware of with that function in mind have short, or at least smoothed sights to help prevent hang-ups and/or snags.

Don't misunderstand, I fully understand what you're issue is, but I don't think SA is the 'bad guy' here. And it would be a shame for you to not like and enjoy your Hellcat for lack of a preferred sight that would likely compromise it's very intent. It's a hell of a well thought out and designed handgun and as far as I can see it does a hell of a good job at what it is designed for. Hopefully in the near future, someone will find a way to address your issue with it.

And BTW, I have no financial interest in, nor any connection to Springfield Armory, other than I really like my Hellcat and SMSc red dot sight. Oh yeh, and I enjoy the forum and the folks here.

Magazine releases is an issue. I have sent the 11 round mag back to SA. It doesn't latch reliably when fully loaded. It is actually a 10.9 round mag. Latches normally when loaded with 10 rounds.

I am still experiencing mag releases while firing the Hellcat with the 13 round mags. I have been trying to monitor the release button and thumbs and am not convinced this is the issue. I am continuing to evaluate this and see if my grip can be modified to correct this issue. If that is the case I will need to see home reliable that is when switching between other handguns.

For me the pistol grip angle is less than ideal. I am hoping to be able to adapt to it.

Magazine releases is an issue. I have sent the 11 round mag back to SA. It doesn't latch reliably when fully loaded. It is actually a 10.9 round mag. Latches normally when loaded with 10 rounds.

I am still experiencing mag releases while firing the Hellcat with the 13 round mags. I have been trying to monitor the release button and thumbs and am not convinced this is the issue. I am continuing to evaluate this and see if my grip can be modified to correct this issue. If that is the case I will need to see home reliable that is when switching between other handguns.

For me the pistol grip angle is less than ideal. I am hoping to be able to adapt to it.
My Shield magazine was like that, you couldn’t seat mag into gun when you had mag fully loaded. Is it a new gun? If so, just load the mag up and let it sit for a couple of days fully loaded so the mag spring can relaxe some, most new mags are like this.

Don't have one but my son does. I'll have to nitpick a little to find a flaw but here goes.
I have an XDs, my complaint with the Hellcat lies with the loaded chamber indicator. It's similar to the S&W Shield. I have to look down (and put on my reading glasses) to see it. I prefer one like the XDs that I can feel. Yeah... I know, hardly worth mentioning. Otherwise a great little gun.

It has been said that the sights for the XD series fits the Hellcat. So there are sights out there that you can get. Problem solved! :oops:

Back