testtest

When Did 7.62x39 Start Disappearing?

wmg1299

Professional
I mentioned in several other posts this month that I have recently been shooting my AK's and my old Norinco SKS because I could still find 7.62x39 ammo for pre-panic prices. I decided to re-stock today, but my usual site was out-of-stock. This was odd because they have had every flavor of Soviet steel-cased ammo in stock consistently since the COVID crisis started. I then checked 3 or 4 other sites and found that they were out-of-stock as well. Academy had a few boxes on the shelf, so I was able to get enough for my next weekend shooting trip, but I have never seen my online sources run out of steel case 7.62. Is 7.62 starting to run low in other areas of the country, or is this a one-off coincidence with the sites that I frequent?

I mentioned in several other posts this month that I have recently been shooting my AK's and my old Norinco SKS because I could still find 7.62x39 ammo for pre-panic prices. I decided to re-stock today, but my usual site was out-of-stock. This was odd because they have had every flavor of Soviet steel-cased ammo in stock consistently since the COVID crisis started. I then checked 3 or 4 other sites and found that they were out-of-stock as well. Academy had a few boxes on the shelf, so I was able to get enough for my next weekend shooting trip, but I have never seen my online sources run out of steel case 7.62. Is 7.62 starting to run low in other areas of the country, or is this a one-off coincidence with the sites that I frequent?

I think x39 was just a little behind the curve as far as demand...I’m willing to bet that .308 and .300AAC aren’t too far behind.

I'm in the Dallas, TX area. 300AAC was one of the first to disappear from store shelves, and doesn't seem to get re-stocked often. From what employees at the big box stores tell me, they are still getting a good amount of 9mm and .223/5.56, but it sells out almost instantly due to demand. The employees told me that .380 acp, 300 AAC, and all Buckshot just aren't being shipped to stores. The shelves are usually empty either way, but I always feel better when I hear that calibers are shipping frequently.

I'm in the Dallas, TX area. 300AAC was one of the first to disappear from store shelves, and doesn't seem to get re-stocked often. From what employees at the big box stores tell me, they are still getting a good amount of 9mm and .223/5.56, but it sells out almost instantly due to demand. The employees told me that .380 acp, 300 AAC, and all Buckshot just aren't being shipped to stores. The shelves are usually empty either way, but I always feel better when I hear that calibers are shipping frequently.
Sent you a PM ...

At my local sporting goods store I've watched caliber after caliber disappear. 2 weeks ago the 22 section was down to magnums and shorts, last week nothing but a few shorts left. The huge center fire pistol caliber section had only 2 boxes of 44 magnum defense and quite a few 32s, nothing else. Now there's not a single round, and this is a huge display, normally well over a hundred thousand rounds of everything from 25-50. I was considering a beretta 32 when the ammo was staying available but now why bother.

Just made another trip to Academy and couldn't find a single box of 7.62x39. You know you're in trouble when even the Tulammo disappears. I had been considering buying a .32 acp or .25 acp to plink with, but now even those calibers are gone. Unless I'm willing to take a gamble on buying a .17 HMR or a .270 WIN rifle, or get the sudden urge to run a bunch of shotshells through my .22 LR guns, it looks like any shooting this week will be from my personal stash. On the plus side, anyone who loves firing 12 ga. birdshot is set for life.

I was in my local gun shop last week, helping my 78 year old dad pick out a 9mm pistol, and 50 round boxes of 9mm were running $25 - the same box of Blazer Brass was $8 or $9 in January at the same shop. They had plenty however, with a 4 box limit. Hornady 9mm self defense ammo was $27 for a 25 round box.

They seemed to have all ammo in stock, but the only things close to normal pricing were probably the 500 round boxes of 22LR, which were going for $30 - a little high, but not crazy.

I was in my local gun shop last week, helping my 78 year old dad pick out a 9mm pistol, and 50 round boxes of 9mm were running $25 - the same box of Blazer Brass was $8 or $9 in January at the same shop. They had plenty however, with a 4 box limit. Hornady 9mm self defense ammo was $27 for a 25 round box.

They seemed to have all ammo in stock, but the only things close to normal pricing were probably the 500 round boxes of 22LR, which were going for $30 - a little high, but not crazy.
The .22lr ammo could be right inline for the price depending on the brand and type but 9mm ammo is like gold right now.

I have about 1000 rounds loaded and stored in ammo boxes and I have 2500-3000 110g bt bullets on the shelf with about 2200 brass cases from Winchester. and plenty of powder. For rifle shooting I am using my lever action pistol calibers. Get close to my reserve primers. have plenty of 5.56 rounds and 7.62X51 loaded and stored. If the poop hit the wind generating machine I'll be good for a few days

Back