testtest

When Revolvers might be the better choice

My brother retired from the USAF after twenty six years called me about three months ago and asked my advice about buying a handgun.He didn't want a semi auto just wanted something to CC while he and his wife take their daily walks. He bought a S&W 640 .357 Mag. hammerless. His wife went with a Ruger LCR .38 SPL +P. he is 69 years old and she's 55 years old both retired from the Air Force. I think they both made good choices.

I normally carry a Sig Sauer P365, but there are times when I go with a revolver. I like to keep a revolver with a concealed hammer in my outer jacket pocket when the weather requires multiple layers. I started with an S&W 642. The 642 ran fine, but I just didn't shoot it accurately past 5 yards. I switched to an S&W 351C for pocket duty awhile back. I've always felt that .22 Magnum is underrated as a self-defense cartridge, and I like the added capacity (7 rounds vs. 5). The 351C also has a heavy enough trigger that the chance of an accidental/negligent discharge is virtually zero.

I am aware of the inherent risks of pocket-carrying without a pocket holster, and would never even consider it with a semi-auto. However, the entire point on a revolver with a concealed hammer in an outer pocket is that it can be fired through the pocket without having to draw the weapon. I am always cognizant of the risks, but as stated before, I think it would take an exceptional circumstance to "accidentally" pull a long 12-15 pound trigger.

Back